The 4900

arkhusker

Well....I just went yesterday to pick up some equipment I purchased as part of the acquisition I made last summer. Among this outdated "junk" were a few 4900's that I have NO idea what to do with. Tempted to strip them for parts and scrap the bodies. Just out of pure curiosity I googled and found an updated mdb and guaranteed delivery board for them. Through in a tuff fronts kit and it might not be a bad machine. Thoughts?  

Well....I just went yesterday to pick up some equipment I purchased as part of the acquisition I made last summer. Among this outdated "junk" were a few 4900's that I have NO idea what to do with. Tempted to strip them for parts and scrap the bodies. Just out of pure curiosity I googled and found an updated mdb and guaranteed delivery board for them. Through in a tuff fronts kit and it might not be a bad machine. Thoughts?  

Personally I'd scrap them and ebay all the motors and any other parts like the delivery door.

As you've probably noticed, these machines are built like tanks and a lot of guys use them for cave man accounts where you'd hate to stick in anything expensive.

I like Rowes but 4900 is just too old to but much money in.

Do they have Bill Acceptors?

If so are they CBA2 or have they been updated?

Do you have any locations that would take them without BAs?

Walta

I, unlike others here, have not yet given up on the Rowe machines.  There are enough parts machines around that unless you are having wiring issues in the machine you can keep them up and running if they are complete.  The only part that I wish was remanufactured is the delivery doors.  As long as you have an account where you aren't likely to get pilferage you can disconnect the rear baffle door on the delivery bin and use the delivery door free-swinging. 

It is possible to repair the alignment of the delivery and baffle doors if neither has been bent up yet.  They were known for loose screws on the axles to cause mistiming of the doors which can bind them up.  Simply removing the bin and tightening the screws can fix this issue.  Most times, though, the axle rod through the delivery door gets twisted at each end and people push harder and harder to open the binding door.  The ends of the axle can be straightened at least one time to realign the two doors.  If you monitor the screws that hold the linkage on you will avoid those problems. 

It's very easy to upgrade the validator to a Mars for under $300 and continue using the micromech coin mechs.   These had the most bullet-proof cabinets and if you keep your shelf rollers tight they work very well.

If I hang on to any, I will upgrade to the the MDB and likely add guaranteed delivery. These currently all have Coinco validators in them. I think I would much prefer the mars. I am getting my machines in the field ready fro telemetry hardware so it, at least, has to be mdb. 

Yes, they seem to be some tough ol' machines but what is out there in my field and in storage just plain looks bad so I want them out of locations. Some young startup come in and promise newer equipment and features and I'm out on my proverbial tushi. With those old brown fronts every one knows they are ancient. Replaced one yesterday with a 167. One of the customers commented that "that thing must be older than dirt!" I just smiled and said, Yeah, that's why you're getting a newer one."

I will probably try one with a full upgrade and see how it turns out. 

I don't blame you for wanting the old brown machines out.  You are absolutely correct that you must have nicer equipment in locations.  The Rowes shouldn't be used unless they look location ready.  If you have several machines so that you will have spare parts then you could fix one or two up and put them out to see how good they look after a refurb.

If I hang on to any, I will upgrade to the the MDB and likely add guaranteed delivery. These currently all have Coinco validators in them. I think I would much prefer the mars. I am getting my machines in the field ready fro telemetry hardware so it, at least, has to be mdb. 

Yes, they seem to be some tough ol' machines but what is out there in my field and in storage just plain looks bad so I want them out of locations. Some young startup come in and promise newer equipment and features and I'm out on my proverbial tushi. With those old brown fronts every one knows they are ancient. Replaced one yesterday with a 167. One of the customers commented that "that thing must be older than dirt!" I just smiled and said, Yeah, that's why you're getting a newer one."

I will probably try one with a full upgrade and see how it turns out. 

I wouldn't invest too much in these machines - you'll end up with something that is still as old as dirt and you'll never get your money out of them.  If the 4900's don't fill your needs then sell them on CL - there are guys that still use them.

i would and do use them in laundromat accts, i would not put them anywhere good

i look at it as a disposible machine i buy them $400/ea and when it gets beat to hell

i will toss it out and replace it with another cheapo, i wouldnt put them anywhere good

too many issues, my main complain with the 4900 series is the shelf connectors

will go bad if ppl rough up the machine alot and the programming is very annoying to use

the 5900 has much easier programming. both models have given me probs where the shelf

rollers get stuck and thre shelf wont come out of the machine anymore

Archived