Cold food ordering

Make em yourself. that is what I did....way cheaper and better! I made ham, turkey, roast beef and even cream cheese sandwiches. label them in large letters and use fresh cheese, kraft singles actually turn "mushy" in a cold food vendor. I used no butter, no marg, no mayo and no cheap products. I also sold apples 2 for $1.25 it was great! wrap the sandwiches up in plastic or triangles and place a request list and have fun!

Make em yourself. that is what I did....way cheaper and better! I made ham, turkey, roast beef and even cream cheese sandwiches. label them in large letters and use fresh cheese, kraft singles actually turn "mushy" in a cold food vendor. I used no butter, no marg, no mayo and no cheap products. I also sold apples 2 for $1.25 it was great! wrap the sandwiches up in plastic or triangles and place a request list and have fun!

That might work for you up there in Canada, but I would stongly discourge this here in the US. With federal mandates on nutritional, allergen, ingredient and caloric labeling as well as local food service and licensing requirements it is not worth doing for all but a very select few vending operations. The penalties are very severe for noncompliance. 

To answer the OP question, I would try to find a local supplier, find out if the local roach coaches have a local source for some of the prepared foods they sell. In urban areas there is often someone that does some of the prep work that those guys buy from. That's what I did years ago before I got totally out of fresh food. Today its all frozen or nothing.

Another option is your local grocer, many stores today are doing more and more prepared RTE foods, its possible you might be able to get a discount if you buy on a regular basis. Probably won't make much this way but if not doing it means losing a good account then its something to think about.

I second the response from Mission, which was going to be my response as well.  Here in AZ you cannot produce your own vending food without a food handlers license and a health permitted kitchen to produce the food in.  As Mission stated, there are labeling requirements, packaging requirements, etc. that even commercial kitchens sometimes have trouble meeting. 

Many large, multi-truck mobile caterers will sell you quantities of prepared foods.  Keep in mind that you will have the shortest shelf life with salads of 3 days and 7 days max for fresh sandwiches, burritos etc.  Look into frozen sandwiches, especially if you have a local vend products distributor, as you can get up to 28 days on a thawed pre-frozen sandwich and their quality control has improved quite a bit in the last few years. 

You can also do microwaveable cups like chili and stew, Hot Pockets, fruit cups, juices not in your other machines, frozen muffins, bagels and many other items. 

We buy some of our sandwiches from Sam's. We buy alot more from Vistar. Depending where you are located you should have a Vistar or something similar. They carry a huge variety of sandwiches etc. This last order I am trying some some single serve pies.

Mike

Our local walmart sells packaged sandwiches that are fresh for about 30 days.  Believe the vendor sucks out the oxygen and fills with nitrogen which extends their shelf life.

Travis

I know the science behind it but... I don't think I could stomach a 30 day old sandwich  :o

walmart sells landshire or something. they have to be held frozen.

go into a few c-stores and look at the ready to eat food's labels and call some of them.

yeah and I get sick just knowing my mcdonalds food is cooked in advance and sits in a steam table until sold.

Our local walmart sells packaged sandwiches that are fresh for about 30 days. Believe the vendor sucks out the oxygen and fills with nitrogen which extends their shelf life.

Travis

I can tell you that these sandwiches DO NOT sell! I've wasted enough time and energy and I finally pulled the machine. Btw, anyone need a half frozen/half Refridgerated machine?!? It's barely used;-)

Model #3532

I would buy it off you if I could but... it is the wrong power voltage for me. 

Why don't you hold onto it? Have you had any problem's with it?

I don't have any 3532's but if I was going to buy a "new" frozen food" machine it would be my first option. 

I would buy it off you if I could but... it is the wrong power voltage for me.

Why don't you hold onto it? Have you had any problem's with it?

I don't have any 3532's but if I was going to buy a "new" frozen food" machine it would be my first option.

I've had absolutely no issues with the machine (beside the lack of sales!). It's sitting in the warehouse for the time being. If I find a place for it, it is ready to go!

They are Landshire sandwiches.  They do not have to remain frozen....

As others have said....you certainly won't sell a lot of them.  I think on my best month, I sold about 15 sandwiches, but a cold food machine was required for the account....so in the long run it was worth it. 

On any given month, if I clear $75 profit, I'm doing ok.

Travis

Archived