AP randomly giving a "jackpot of change"

Hey guys,

I have an AP snack machine that has randomly been spitting out change at customers (obviously not very good for business), however, every time we have gone out there to look at the problem, we cannot replicate it.  We test every selection multiple times and never have an issue, but sure enough, 3 days later some lucky SOB gets showered in 2-5 $ worth of change.  Does anyone have any idea what the problem can be?  I can't figure out what the problem is since i can't reproduce it and I certainly can't afford to keep letting it happen either..

Any help is appreciated.

What model AP do you have?

Is the machine plugged into a grounded outlet?

Have you tested the ground on the outlet?

Is the ground pin plug on the cord in place and in good condition?

When is the last time you changed the florescent lamp and started?

Some models need to have an extra filter on the florescent lamp.

Walta

What model AP do you have?

Is the machine plugged into a grounded outlet?

Have you tested the ground on the outlet?

Is the ground pin plug on the cord in place and in good condition?

When is the last time you changed the florescent lamp and started?

Some models need to have an extra filter on the florescent lamp.

Walta

Hey Walta, thanks for the response.  It's an LCM2.  I haven't checked for power issues but even that gives me a direction (and would make sense in the context of the situation).  Which florescent lamp are you talking about?

Edit: if you're just talking about the display lights then we don't have them in (we took them out as it doesn't need to be lit and we've had them fall before)

If you don't have the fluorescent lamp in then you probably have a power fluctuation from the wall or, as Walta asked, you might be missing the ground terminal on your power plug to the wall.  If the ground is there then you should look for any green ground wires not connected in the machine such as next to the logic board or by the power supply.

You could also have a light near the machine either in the ceiling or another machine that is flickering when trying to start and this can send stray electromagnetic interference to your logic board.  If you can't chase the problem down at all then first try replacing the coin mech and, if necessary, the logic board.

You can PM me if you need any parts to fix this with.

unplug your light harness, remove the starter and remove the light bulb. Also if you have a coinco mech, change to MEI if you can or purchase an update kit from VEII. I installed a UCB kit from veii....all my problems went away. start with the lights. I hope this helps

Thanks guys, I put the lamp back in and checked the wires and tested the ground on the outlet.  Everything is looking good, but only time will tell with this issue.  I really appreciate everyone's insight.  I will let you guys know if it was the problem.

Having a working lamp in the machine is not key to preventing this problem.  Rather, it's making sure you don't have a suspect light in the machine that might flicker and interfere with the board.  If you had the lamp out altogether, then the lamp circuit would not have caused the jackpot.

Having a working lamp in the machine is not key to preventing this problem.  Rather, it's making sure you don't have a suspect light in the machine that might flicker and interfere with the board.  If you had the lamp out altogether, then the lamp circuit would not have caused the jackpot.

Well, crap.  Back to square one on this issue...

There's nothing noticeable with power and there were two machines in here previous to mine and they didn't have these issues.  I also don't see any flickering lights.  I guess its time to replace the coin mech.  Expect a PM if I need to replace the logic board  ^_^

And sorry for my apparent lack of reading comprehension.

Before you start throwing parts at the problem let try a few more things.

Install a computer grade surge suppressor between the machine and the wall plug.

Check the ground wire with an ohm meter you should get less than 10 ohms from the ground pin of the cord to every metal part of the machine.

Tell me how you tested the ground on the outlet.

Walta

Before you start throwing parts at the problem let try a few more things.

Install a computer grade surge suppressor between the machine and the wall plug.

Check the ground wire with an ohm meter you should get less than 10 ohms from the ground pin of the cord to every metal part of the machine.

Tell me how you tested the ground on the outlet.

Walta

Fair enough.  First, it is on a surge protector.  All of my machines are.  2nd, we didn't test it, we had the electrician at the factory that this machine is at test it because I frankly don't know enough about electrical work to do it myself.  I am going to take your post to the same guy and ask if he can help me out.  He's a long time friend of the family.

I was only going to replace the coin mech because that was AZ's next step and that guy has yet to steer me wrong (and he can talk down to my level when he needs to).  You're going a bit above my head.

• 1 month later...

Hey Chris, thanks for the video.  I replaced the bulb and also replaced the coin mech (I have a few spares so at no cost) and have been vigilantly watching everything.  No issues since then!

Nice website too, definitely will bookmark it B) .  Was that you at the beginning of the video then?

Chris, thanks for putting that video together. I've been stuggling with an AP 7000 that has this exact issue and it's just a matter of time before it does it again. I just can't find the line conditioner on those websites you mentioned.

Allen, one thing to check on a random jackpotting problem on the AP6000/7000 machines is if you have metal-backed Mars coin mech in the machine.  If you do there can be a grounding issue between the coin mech and the machine that can cause problems.  The fix is to put a plastic-backed coin mech in the machine.

Hey Chris, thanks for the video.  I replaced the bulb and also replaced the coin mech (I have a few spares so at no cost) and have been vigilantly watching everything.  No issues since then!

Nice website too, definitely will bookmark it B) .  Was that you at the beginning of the video then?

Hey Happy,

Thanks! Glad to hear that it was helpful and you took care of your problem. Yes, I'm the one at the beginning of the video who's not the expert. :-)

Chris, thanks for putting that video together. I've been stuggling with an AP 7000 that has this exact issue and it's just a matter of time before it does it again. I just can't find the line conditioner on those websites you mentioned.

Hey Allen,

Your welcome! Sorry I couldn't help find the part. I'm sure there are some suppliers on this forum that could help. When you do, would you let me know where you found it? We're always looking for more sources for these as well.

Chris

Archived