Need some help with a new honor box business.

Hello to all of you. My son and I just started a new honor box business. Not the cardboard honor box kind but the plastic boxes that you get from sheridansystems. My son is autistic and we are working with a local charity which helps autistic children around our local area.  This is a great website and I read up on here from some of the very kind and helpful veterans of this business, who posted, that the best product to go with are York Peppermint Patties. That's what we've been doing and the results have been quite excellent. However, we are starting to see now a bit of a drop off and I'm thinking that maybe it's because people are getting tired of eating the same thing over and over again. Therefore, I wanted to ask any of you guys if you can recommend other products that sell really well also. We have about 50 boxes out right now and I think this whole experience has been really great for my son. It definitely helps give him something positive and productive to do and brings the 2 of us closer.  Thanks to you guys for helping others! I'll look forward to your knowledgeable replies.

God Bless,

John.

John, good to see new people in the mint business. I have been doing this for about 1 year and have  tried mini bite-size with loss being too high. overall yorks do best and one product keeps it simple. I am just starting to mix caramel vanilla creams {GORTZE'S] in with Yorks, too soon to tell, will let you know if you like. I love doing mints boxes. If I can help let me know. Best of luck and success. Harvey

Hey Harvey, thanks so much brother. You're one of the seasoned veterans that I have learned a lot from already because I've been reading your posts and I just want to say thank you. Where do you buy the Gortzes at and what is the price in cents per each?

Also have you ever noticed a steady (maybe slight) decline in the Yorks, being that people get tired of eating the same thing?

I buy mine from a local produce but you can get them on Amazon. They cost just under .04 cent.  I have only started this in the last 2 weeks and don't know if it will work.  I feel like caramel and yorks are a good mix. I will know in a couple of weeks. I don't know how much sales slow down but anything will. Yorks in a restaurant will change very little. If they are in non-restaurants they will slow. This is one reason I like the caramels, it gives me an option.

I've been doing the Tootsie Rolls you get from Sams that are about 4 inches long.  They love, love, lvoe those.  Cost is just about a penny more than the York.  So, I've got about half Tootsie and half Yorks in mine.  When I go to service the Tootsies are always gone and what's left is the York

John,

I have a three slot donation boxes. In one I put Yorks, then Dubble Bubble .02 cents each and those Tootsie Roll Party Bags (they evaporate). If you guys do this right you can build an EMPIRE and your son can be a CEO inspiration to others. Call a local news station and get business owners to let you leave a box and they will be on your "Admiring Autisism Program" or Inc Magazine to do a story on your son, just a couple ideas off the top of my head. Make it happen.

Hey that's a great idea also loach33. So you would say you make more profit wise with the Tootsie Rolls over the Yorks?

I can't say it's higher profit.  Sales aren't any higher really but it does give you a couple things in the same box for real close to the same cost on them.  

Yeah, don't take this the wrong way but you do have an advantage with your son being involved.  Utilize that advantage.  You could have a couple hundred of those out there in no time I'm sure.

Good luck

John,

I have a three slot donation boxes. In one I put Yorks, then Dubble Bubble .02 cents each and those Tootsie Roll Party Bags (they evaporate). If you guys do this right you can build an EMPIRE and your son can be a CEO inspiration to others. Call a local news station and get business owners to let you leave a box and they will be on your "Admiring Autisism Program" or Inc Magazine to do a story on your son, just a couple ideas off the top of my head. Make it happen.

thenewdude,

That is an absolutely phenominal idea you have come up with!!!! If you don't mind I just have a few questions I'd like to ask you about this:

1) Where do you get your 3 slot donation boxes and how much do you pay for them?

2) Could you PLEASE send me a picture of one of them?

3) How many accounts do you have out right now?

Thank you so much brother and God Bless!

I can't say it's higher profit.  Sales aren't any higher really but it does give you a couple things in the same box for real close to the same cost on them.  

Yeah, don't take this the wrong way but you do have an advantage with your son being involved.  Utilize that advantage.  You could have a couple hundred of those out there in no time I'm sure.

Good luck

loach33,

You really have some great insight with that brother and no I don't see what you just said as something to be taken the wrong way at all. When my son and I go out locating, I'm always encouraging him to "step up" and be be the one who makes the sale. Even though it can be difficult for him, he really loves doing this with his father and there have been a few very brief times when I could swear that he "connects" with other people as if his autism didn't exist. Maybe that's just hopeful thinking on my part as his dad but I also believe in miracles.

• 2 weeks later...

I checked Sam's Club and the york peppermint patties are a little over 7 cents/unit.  Do you sell these for 25 cents?  I may be looking to expand my honor boxes by placing cheaper options (like the peppermint patties) next to the boxes.  I am just worried about theft.

How do you collect the revenue (use a box?) and how is the shortage?  Assuming you sell them for a quarter, and assuming the same shortage of about 20%, I am assuming that you can see a 28% COGS + a 20% loss which leaves about 52% for net profit.

I checked Sam's Club and the york peppermint patties are a little over 7 cents/unit.  Do you sell these for 25 cents?  I may be looking to expand my honor boxes by placing cheaper options (like the peppermint patties) next to the boxes.  I am just worried about theft.

How do you collect the revenue (use a box?) and how is the shortage?  Assuming you sell them for a quarter, and assuming the same shortage of about 20%, I am assuming that you can see a 28% COGS + a 20% loss which leaves about 52% for net profit.

Your numbers are right on what I am seeing with mine.  100 locations, York and Bobs mints. I watch but don't worry too much about percentages. I want to net profit $10-$15 every service and usually always do. I think it may be wise to price Yorks .35.  I am at 0.25 and if I have a price increase it will hurt. 

I can't say that I share the best of advice here because I have never sold mints but .35 seems like a problem due to being an odd number. Three for $1 or .35 may be a better way. I think you should stick with .25 until the cost of the mints breaks .10/unit. This is based off of my economics knowledge and NOT actual experience so I could be wrong.

By the way, this mint deal has inspired me with an idea. I may buy 10 mint boxes and place them next to 10 good honor boxes. I vould do this until sales slow down and rotate them to other accounts. Extra money is extra money!

How do you collect money? Do you use an acrylic box? How do you keep track of profits?

Chris I have about 50 extra acrylic boxes set aside for collection purposes. Usually on my collection days I load up my van with the 50 boxes full of candy (each box holds 100 mints comfortably) and as I get to each location I just swap out a box with money and leftover candy with one of the clean filled boxes. Each location has a 4x6 index card filled out with bus. name and address. I keep track of sales and shrinkage on this card. When leaving that location that particular index card for that location is placed in the lower portion of the candy box. When I get home I take all the boxes in and count each box, both candy and money.

I see.  I guess that solves the key problem that I hear about (each key being keyed individually?)

Your method is a big reason why it takes you so little time to service your accounts.  I do the money counting and restocking right there on site.  The only thing I have to do at the end of the route is deposit the money.  I do think I have gotten faster since I started... I can easily do a location in less than 10 minutes but driving typically adds an additional 5 minutes.  In fact, I would say my average drive time between locations is 10 minutes.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived