Washing machine attempted break in, what do I do now?

RikaKazak

Went to empty my coin op washer/dryers today and arrived to one location with a destroyed lock.  Clearly someone had tried to drill the lock out, was unsuccessful, and just gave up.

Luckily he didn't get the money, sadly the lock is ruined and my key won't work now.

What should I do?  Drill the lock?  Hire a locksmith?  Is there a super secret way to detach the whole box or something?  I've drilled locks before (using a left handed drill bit) but those were for komet vending machines, never something this big/strong before.  Thought I'd ask for advice before I did anything, since the machine still works perfectly, it's the lock is the only messed up part.

Images below:

photo2_zps20a38383.jpg

photo11_zps77362274.jpg

theres a reason greenwald is the leader in this type of stuff... they are rock solid

i wouldn't continue drilling, as in full line, if you dont drill a t handle lock right, your looking at a lot more drilling

Not having done this before, it looks like you need to drill out the rivets/blind bolts in the four corners and replace the entire assembly.  Those high security locks aren't designed to be drilled out.

Not having done this before, it looks like you need to drill out the rivets/blind bolts in the four corners and replace the entire assembly.  Those high security locks aren't designed to be drilled out.

That would be my suggestion, use a dremel to grind off the heads of the carriage bolts and replace the entire assembly.

Thank you SOOOO much for the input guys, I really appreciate it.

Any suggestions on where to buy a new lock once I get rid of the old one? 

Since there's still room in the quarter box for another month left of washing, I put it back together, and would like to put the new one in at the same time I get rid of the old one.

Anyone got any advice?

I was leaning towards just finishing the drill job myself...will this work?  (I guess it's not like I could hurt it, lol)

I'd say it's time to call in a pro - they aren't cheap but they can do the job.  I had to have a safe opened once (lost the combo) - the guy had it open in two hours without destroying it.  The only downside was that it cost about $700.  Fortunately my head office had authorized it - I thought it was a waste of money since we weren't using it for anything special.

• 3 weeks later...

So I thought I'd update this thread since I've since fixed the problem.

I bought a dremel and a bunch of metal cutting heads at lowes.  Unfortunately none of the different heads worked.  I went through about 8 different heads before just giving up (was about half way through the first bolt head).

So I decided to drill the lock.  I have a very nice dewalt hammer drill my dad bought me, and I used a left handed 1/4" drill bit (and of course put the drill in reverse).  I used the left handed drill bit not because in this circumstance I thought left handed was better then right handed, but because the left handed bits I had were VERY nice bits, and the right handed ones were super cheap ones I bought at lowes and have used for a year + on my real estate (aka worn out).

Putting the drill in hammer mode worked WAY better then just straight up drilling the lock.  It look me about 20 minutes before I drilled all the way through the lock (had to stop several times due to vibration killing my hands).  Once I drilled all the way through, I still couldn't get the lock out.  So I switched to a right handed bit, and a bigger bit.  When it was trying to drill, it gripped the edges and "snapped" the lock free turning it right (opening the lock).

Once that happened, the whole assembly came off, and I was able to get the money out.

I ruined the box, so am going to have to buy a new one.  There were numbers on the bottom, UG800A, so I'm guessing that's the model number of the box.  I plan on googling/calling greenwald tomorrow to find out.

I suggest if you have to drill your own lock out, it can be done.  I'd way rather drill it out then pay $100+ for a locksmith.  Just make sure to get a VERY good drill bit, and to be prepared to go slow and steady.  It took a while, and was tiring, but was worth the $100+ since I'm a cheapskate ;)  Also I would only do it if I had a plug in drill (no way a battery drill could do it, you'd go through 10+ batteries easily) and I'd only do it if I had a hammer drill. (otherwise pay the $100+ for the locksmith, you'll be there all day)

Thanks to everyone who gave input and helped me out, I really appreciate it :D  Hopefully my trip report will help some other poor guy who falls victim to vandalism like I did.  Wish people put as much effort into "working" as they did committing crimes.  Society (and they) would be way better off.

Archived