Non show specials

havending

Any suppliers giving non show specials? Or pre show deals? TNJ used to do it every year and to me it seems like a great sales tool. I think suppliers put too much focus on the show trying to write as many orders as they can while leaving money on the table from non goers.

You can see the suppliers viewpoint...those booths are not cheap. Funexpress runs a few 'show specials' (via email) for everyone whether they attend or not a few times each year. But RIN has you pick up a form at their booth to qualify for the show special, and a very limited time to use it. Some other vendors will give you show special pricing for up to a few months after the show. 

I wish the NBVA schedule was like last year, when it followed the ASD show. I will not be surprised if the NBVA attendance is down this year just for that reason.

Me too, last year was great, especially the couple of days they overlapped because you could use the free asd shuttle busses. We really got a workout though it was a lot to cover.

I will miss nbva/expo etc because I do need to go to asd.

Me too, last year was great, especially the couple of days they overlapped because you could use the free asd shuttle busses. We really got a workout though it was a lot to cover.

I will miss nbva/expo etc because I do need to go to asd.

What will you buy at ASD?

Long time ago ('96) went to the New York show...it was in the fall. Just an excuse to visit the Big Apple, then it was about half the size of the Vegas show.

For those thinking about going, I like the ASD better than NBVA because there are so many close out deals at the ASD you can find for cranes, bulk and other merchandisers. The big reason that show is so good is that the closeout guys go through stuff so fast you don't really know what they have in inventory from one week to the next. And sometimes it is like a yard sale, and you can find some treasures that the seller does not have a clue as to the true value. Last year at the ASD we bought a bunch of plush, it was all licensed Mexican pro soccer league mascots in complete uniforms with a soccer ball attached to their foot....all for less than a buck each. The seller didn't realize it was licensed merchandise...And the teams in Mexico have not caught on to the 'idea' of increasing sales by changing the logo every few years to make everything sold before obsolete (so we did not have that to worry about).

When we would go to a Mexican restaurant during a busy period to refill, the customers would start lining up behind me while I was filling the crane...they all wanted first crack at those mascots...

And you can find stuff for bulk, too. When you go, be sure to take a couple of empty caps with you so you can tell if something will fit.

What will you buy at ASD?

I need to work on licensed plush first this year. In the past I have gotten great closeouts on Harley and Nascar die cast. Hats, watches, jewelry and misc for cranes. I even found a close out on computer power cords with right angle plugs last year, 8' for around a buck each. Great for plugging in cranes so the plugs and wires wont get broke off by people pushing crane into the wall. I split a close out of retail quality mood rings with a friend. They were less than ten cents but originally retailed for $5-$10. So always something but you have to dig.

Archived