AP Snackshop 4600

Big Mike

I got a new snack and soda account and a laundromat. We already do bulk there and it is clean and vandalism free. It should be a good account. The owner has this AP Snackshop 4600. It has been at the laundromat totally empty for awhile. It quite working and he has never fixed it.   

He wants me to buy it. It is a very nice looking machine. Very clean and damage free. The bill validator is not working at all and the error light on back is flashing 5 times for check sensors.

The display is blank. It will accept coin and does show on the display once you put it in for credit.

If you make a selection the letter shows on the display but once you hit the number it goes blank and nothing happens. 

I wouldn't mind picking this machine up for the right price but have no idea what that price is. 

Is this a good machine? what does the problem sound like? 

Mike

Mike, since this machine has been sitting for so long a period of time it may have lost its pricing. With no pricing stored in memory, it will not accept bills and will only accept one coin(any denomination). To check this hit the Hutton marked "check price" then the 14 button on the front keypad. If it is all "0"s then there are not prices set in machine. In the normal standby mode the display is always blank until you deposit money or hit the keypad. A non-working 4000 machine is worth only a couple hundred dollars at best, mostly due to the value of the validator and coin mech.

Coinco BA30B DBV ( I think) - Do you think It would be worth putting in a new DBV - Coin Mech and logic board if all are needed? 

The pricing is still good I think since it would accept .75.

The rest of the machine is in really clean shape. 

MIke

Mike,

It sounds like you may have a bad logic board or selection keypad if it won't recognize the second character of the selection.  The first thing you should do is look at the mode box mounted just below the validator.  In normal vending mode you will see the red LED lit over the large button on the right.  If it's lit then do what cvending said, and press your Check Price button.  That LED should then light which allows you to enter any or all selections to view their stored prices.  If you don't get any prices returned it could mean that none are saved or that the keypad is bad and not working.  If the machine still has prices on any selections then it should be capable of accepting money, as you said it did. 

If you press the Set Price button and it lights, then you can try to set a different price for any selection.  When the Set Price button is lit you can press the 11 and 12 keys to adjust the price on your display.  You can then apply any displayed price to a selection by entering that selection.  Verify that this worked by going to the Check Price function and checking the price of the selection just changed.

All of this is predicated on your keypad working properly, of course.  One flaw in this machine was the likelihood of coins falling in behind the logic board on the door, shorting it out.  The coin chute on the door must mesh with the coin chute over the coin mech on the sliding panel.  If the door isn't properly latched top and bottom a gap can exist between the two coin chutes and coins can fall inside the door.  If a coin jam occurs coins can fall inside when you open the door and separate the chutes. 

To check if coins are behind the board, turn the power off and remove the two screws in the lower edge of the board (if they exist) and the two lower nuts holding the board to the door.  Gently flex the board away from the door at the bottom and shake it a little to see if any coins fall loose.  If they do then put it back together and power it up - there are times that this won't be a fatal problem and the board then works properly. 

The flashes on your validator probably mean that it needs to be rebuilt, but it could also start working again if you clean the sensors inside it.  If that doesn't help I can exchange this for you with a factory rebuilt unit. 

Just PM me if you need a validator or perhaps a logic board or keypad.  If you can pick this machine up for a couple hundred bucks or less it would be worth it to fix it.  Tell the owner that it may need a validator and logic board so you can't give him much for it and see what happens.

Keep a few things in mind here.  Firstly, since the machine already has a newer model bill acceptor (meaning, it isn't a MAKA, VFM, or other piece of metallic junk), it may be worth your while to check into this.  Although I would pass up on the opportunity to BUY that model of machine due to the size (too big) and age (too old), if it is already on location and only takes a few hundred dollars to fix it up, it could be a real deal.

I recommend checking into getting that board repaired like AZ is mentioning to you (if it needs to be repaired, which it very well may), and possibly getting the bill acceptor and coin mech refurbished.  I look at it this way:  It may cost you $100-$400 to get this machine fixed up but it could be worth it because you won't have to pay a mover and you'll probably be able to stay there for a long time since the owner obviously wanted nothing to do with filling the machine.

Mike, after reading this again I realized we are talking about a 4600 model, I was thinking of the 7600 model. Since you have a bill validator you must also have an aftermarket kit installed. Make sure all the connections are secure. Power down and then disconnect & reconnect all harness after inspecting. Power up and try again. Also, press the "service" button and then button 14 on the keypad. Any selection out of order will be displayed in order each time you press the 14 button. If it displays all "8"s, then your motors are in the ready position and OK.

Archived