Misleading advertising? Cardinal

SRC

So maybe I made a rookie mistake, I don't know, but I'm still a little annoyed because I feel like I've been mislead.  I've been pricing some Bubble King gumballs, because I've read they are better than Dubble Bubble, and I decided to order some from Cardinal.  Or so I thought.  This is what I saw listed on the website:

http://cardinaldist.com/view_item.php?id=84&

Since there was a picture of Bubble King Assorted gum, I assumed that's what I was ordering.  I specifically wanted Bubble King gum because I wanted to try it to see if that is the gum I wanted to use.  But when the gum arrived, it was a different brand, Big Bubble from Carousel.  The gum is okay, but I would not have chosen to order it.  When I called them, they said that they stopped carrying the Bubble King gum as their assorted gum.  Okay...but it's listed on the website.  Then I see that it's listed as "Assorted Gum", the item does NOT actually say Bubble King in the title.  They tell me the kind of gum I got is what they are using as their "Assorted Gum".  Maybe it's just me, but when you list a picture of Bubble King as your assorted gum, is it not wrong to assume you'll be getting that gum?  Maybe it is wrong, if so, this is something else I learned!  I'm still going to call back later when a manager is in to discuss this, because I feel like it was a bit misleading.

On the plus side, I also ordered some 1 inch capsules from them, which came in great condition, and I received my shipment the day after I ordered from them!  Pretty nice.  So I'll still considering ordering capsules from them in the future, I just know not to order their assorted gum.  I also know to make sure when I order gum from anyone it specifically lists the brand of the gum in the item description.  Could have been a lot worse, at least it's just one case.

I, too, would have believed I was ordering Bubble King going by that web-page.

Cardinal would better serve its customers by removing the BUB picture on the left and just showing the assorted gumballs on the right for their "assorted gum" page.

Very misleading as-is.

Please let us know what all goes on when you talk to the manager.

So maybe I made a rookie mistake, I don't know, but I'm still a little annoyed because I feel like I've been mislead.  I've been pricing some Bubble King gumballs, because I've read they are better than Dubble Bubble, and I decided to order some from Cardinal.  Or so I thought.  This is what I saw listed on the website:

http://cardinaldist.com/view_item.php?id=84&

Since there was a picture of Bubble King Assorted gum, I assumed that's what I was ordering.  I specifically wanted Bubble King gum because I wanted to try it to see if that is the gum I wanted to use.  But when the gum arrived, it was a different brand, Big Bubble from Carousel.  The gum is okay, but I would not have chosen to order it.  When I called them, they said that they stopped carrying the Bubble King gum as their assorted gum.  Okay...but it's listed on the website.  Then I see that it's listed as "Assorted Gum", the item does NOT actually say Bubble King in the title.  They tell me the kind of gum I got is what they are using as their "Assorted Gum".  Maybe it's just me, but when you list a picture of Bubble King as your assorted gum, is it not wrong to assume you'll be getting that gum?  Maybe it is wrong, if so, this is something else I learned!  I'm still going to call back later when a manager is in to discuss this, because I feel like it was a bit misleading.

On the plus side, I also ordered some 1 inch capsules from them, which came in great condition, and I received my shipment the day after I ordered from them!  Pretty nice.  So I'll still considering ordering capsules from them in the future, I just know not to order their assorted gum.  I also know to make sure when I order gum from anyone it specifically lists the brand of the gum in the item description.  Could have been a lot worse, at least it's just one case.

I would have thought the exact same thing you did - Looks like Bubble King to me

Yep, that's misleading.  They should do something to make it right.  If they don't, then personally, I wouldn't buy from them again.  Also, they should have grouped your toys and gumballs in one order (Given that you ordered it all the same day.)  That's how you get the best shipping rate.

Yep, that's misleading.  They should do something to make it right.  If they don't, then personally, I wouldn't buy from them again.  Also, they should have grouped your toys and gumballs in one order (Given that you ordered it all the same day.)  That's how you get the best shipping rate.

Oh, maybe I said it incorrectly, but I did get the toys and the gum in the same order.  I wanted to order the toys to make sure I could get combined shipping.

But I don't know if I will order from them again.  I am pretty annoyed about how this was handled.  Basically the manager kept going on and on about how this was the same gum, that there is no such thing as Bubble King manufactured gum, that there are two types of gum companies Oak Leaf and something else I don't remember.  Then I said yes, and Oak Leaf is the one who manufactures Bubble King gum.  Then he said in all his years of working here, he's never gotten a complaint like this.  He said he could give me a credit on a future order, I asked if it were possible to get a credit back on what I ordered (wasn't expecting that, but thought I would at least try).  I told him I had talked to someone earlier who said they need to take that picture down off of the website, because they no longer carry Bubble Leaf gum.  Then he asked me to call him back an hour later, needed to investigate further.  Well I did, which I'm guessing he wasn't expecting.  He said that he talked to other guys there and that they've never had a problem like this, that it is good gum, he didn't see what my problem was with the gum.  He said that I could send the gum back to him via UPS if I didn't like the gum, but he told me to never call there again about it!  That really ticked me off, and I said I would just take the credit he offered on a future order.  He said he thought I didn't want that, and I said that I thought we could work something else out.  He said, I'm not going to give you credit on the entire gum, but I may be able to give you a $5 credit on a future order.  He kept going on and on about how it is good gum, and I said, but it's not what I thought I ordered on your website.  He said it's all the same gum, it's just a different display card (even though the card clearly says the gum is made by Cardinal) and that he could send me a Bubble King display card if that's what I wanted!  No, I actually wanted to try out the Bubble King gum.  I said fine, I'll take the $5 credit, he said just call back and ask to speak to him.  Which going the way this conversation went, if I called him back and mention this incident, he'll probably break out in hives. 

Regardless of whatever he thinks he's doing to make this right, I'm mainly pissed about how I was made to feel at fault for this whole thing.  Like there was something wrong with ME because I see an item listing with Bubble King and I thought I was getting Bubble King gum.  Like I don't have a right to expect when I place an order that's what I'm going to get.  I'm sure the other gum is fine.  But don't make me to feel like I'm the one who has done something wrong and tell me to never call back again.  I even told him I had asked several professional vendors, who have been in business a lot longer than I have, and they said they would have expected to receive Bubble King gum as well.  He didn't seem to care, since they sell this gum by the truckloads, as he told me.  I wonder if he would have treated a man like this if he had called.  I like the Locks, Stocks toys I got from them, but it's going to take me a while to calm down before I decide to order from them again.  At least the first person I talked to admitted they shouldn't have the Bubble King gum listed on the website, the manager never admitted they did anything wrong at all, I'm the person who is wrong in all of this.  Good grief. 

Oh I tried the gum and I'm okay with using it, I paid for it after all.  I really was just wanting to find out if Bubble King was really worth the hype.  If it wasn't, I can pick up some Dubble Bubble at Sams for a lot cheaper than either of these gumballs.  I just wish the manager would have admitted they shouldn't have that picture up.  Good gum or not, I don't know why he thinks that's okay.

The guys are cardinal have been around for ever and honestly to them I'm sure gum is gum. Should they change the photo sure but it's not that big a deal. Cardinal has a smaller staff thus lower overhead and I find that they are not fast at changing their site. But the smaller staff is good for us because you can get a better value there than at other places.

he told me to never call there again about it!

That would be enough to make me call him everyday until the picture was removed.

In fact, I am going to call. If they've never had this complaint before, they are certainly going to get this complaint now... Daily. B)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

That would be enough to make me call him everyday until the picture was removed.

In fact, I am going to call. If they've never had this complaint before, they are certainly going to get this complaint now... Daily. B)

Uh, I'm not sure if you're joking or serious, lol. Hopefully joking, but if not, I'm sure it's really not a big deal. If they've never dealt with this before, then it must not be a big deal to most people. Just because one person annoyed me, it sounds like most people like purchasing from them. They do have really good prices and straightforward shipping costs, so I imagine I'll end up dealing with them in the future anyhow.

Uh, I'm not sure if you're joking or serious, lol. Hopefully joking, but if not, I'm sure it's really not a big deal. If they've never dealt with this before, then it must not be a big deal to most people. Just because one person annoyed me, it sounds like most people like purchasing from them. They do have really good prices and straightforward shipping costs, so I imagine I'll end up dealing with them in the future anyhow.

Everybody is different. If it bugs you it does. Just don't let it bug you to much. I really dont know who makes Bubble King but it is probably either Oak Leaf or Ford. I be honest "Brands" change hands all the time. Big League Chew is made by Ford Gum now. It has changed hands several times. Hostess is another. If your going to be a serious vendor you are going to want to do business with Cardinal. 

Mike

Oh I tried the gum and I'm okay with using it, I paid for it after all.  I really was just wanting to find out if Bubble King was really worth the hype.  If it wasn't, I can pick up some Dubble Bubble at Sams for a lot cheaper than either of these gumballs.  I just wish the manager would have admitted they shouldn't have that picture up.  Good gum or not, I don't know why he thinks that's okay.

Just wondering what display you received with it?  The Big Bubble?

Uh, I'm not sure if you're joking or serious, lol. Hopefully joking, but if not, I'm sure it's really not a big deal.

Actually, I'm dead serious. That's how I roll. Also, judging by your post, I would say that you find it a big deal or you wouldn't have posted about it.

Is it too much to ask to have an order filled correctly? The problem these days is most people don't think stuff like this is a big deal and never do anything about it. I happen to expect to recieve exactly what I order or it is a major deal. Just ask the girl at the McDonalds drive through.

The ford gum is the best gum made, and the only us made ball gum.

I have known the guys at cardinal for many years and IMHO are one of the best suppliers around . It's too bad your experience went poorly everyone goofs up once in awhile.

Just wondering what display you received with it?  The Big Bubble?

I did receive the Big Bubble display with it.

Actually, I'm dead serious. That's how I roll. Also, judging by your post, I would say that you find it a big deal or you wouldn't have posted about it.

Is it too much to ask to have an order filled correctly? The problem these days is most people don't think stuff like this is a big deal and never do anything about it. I happen to expect to recieve exactly what I order or it is a major deal. Just ask the girl at the McDonalds drive through.

I do see your point. I was pretty pissed when I posted, mainly because of how I was made to feel like I was in the wrong for having a problem with not receiving what was on their website. That's just a personal issue though. The bigger picture is that they should change out the picture on their website, especially since they admitted they didn't even carry Bubble King. And the first person I talked to made it sound like they'd do that, although who knows if the manager told him otherwise. I'm a lot calmer now, and I don't want to burn too many bridges before we actually get started.

Are you the one who threww you're Big Mac in through the window at the girl because she put onions and you didn't want the onions?:)

Gumballs are gumballs are gumballs.

If you don't buy from a supplier because they messed up soon you won't buy from anyone. It only hurts you not the supplier we need them way more than they need us. Cardinal may miss the smaller stuff sometimes but they focus on value. Example the flash balls they would be 64 on up any where else. Bling teeth same thing.

You may have more of a shelf life from a supplier like Cardinal as they sell gum everyday. The last time I bought gum at a club it was hard in a month. The savings in buying was lost in throwing product away.

If you don't buy from a supplier because they messed up soon you won't buy from anyone. It only hurts you not the supplier we need them way more than they need us. Cardinal may miss the smaller stuff sometimes but they focus on value. Example the flash balls they would be 64 on up any where else. Bling teeth same thing.

Very true.  I'm having a heck of a time trying to hunt down whatever salesperson I've been assigned to at A&A to make an order, but I'll still end up ordering from them, because I like the prices of their machines.  That's why I'm just not going to let this bother me anymore.  The deal I got on these toys is hard to beat from some other supplier prices I've looked at, so there's little I'll get from boycotting a company based on one bad experience.  Misleading or not, I suppose it is what it is, at least I know what gum they carry in the future.

Very misleading. To me the issue isn't that they made a mistake with their website but rather, how they handle an obviuosly valid complaint. You should get what is advertised and what you paid for. The fact that the gum they shipped to you may be better is nothing but a personal opinion.

Couldn't they just say "oh geez, I see how that may be confusing. We will work on getting that updated. Would you like a refund?"

Mistakes will happen in business but an important gauge of any company is how they handle customer complaints.

I agree that the issue is not a big deal in the grand scheme of things.

But, how Cardinal handled it should give notice to all of us.

Trying to give this customer the brush off even though they agreed their web-page was inaccurate and then only offering a $5 credit when he stressed his dissatisfaction is poor customer service.

The suppliers I've dealt with have made things right whenever they have been responsible for an unsatisfactory order/experience...fortunately it's only happened a couple of times for me.

IMO, Cardinal has not done so in this case.

Offering a $5 credit to cover their part of this bad experience is enough to convince me I won't be shopping with them.

That's like leaving the waiter a $1 tip for a $50 dinner check.....sure, you left a tip, but offering that little is more of a "F-You" than a "Thank-You".

I would ask for a discount next time you order any gum or capsules for the mis-advertisement.  I'm sure they would cut you a break.   

Bubble King "Classic Assorted" is the bomb. It's the red label gum and not the Regular Bubble King Assorted with the yellow label that you thought you were ordering.  You might as well go with Double Bubble from Sams Club or other gum if you go with the 'regular' formula.  You can get "Classic" assorted in both 850 ct. and 1080 ct. from many places like A&A and Sweetworks.  Sweetworks had a price increase at the first of the year, but i still think it's worth it.  

Archived