Storage Unit Auction

Hillbilly

Well, I went to the storage auction today and just got back.  Here is my story so far.

I bought 3 units out of 15.  

Unit 1 paid $245.  White leather sofa, matching chair and ottoman, Queen size sleigh bed with matresses,

DVD Blue ray player NIB, Portable DVD player used but works, 400+ DVD's most still have cellophane around them. Mini refrigerator, 3 bags of pillows, dishes, 2 camp chairs.  I'll make 3-4 times my money back on just the DVD's on this one. Bed goes for $500 new, sofa and chair probably $600, DVD player $60, Portable DVD player $25, DVD's $2 each. 10X10 unit.

Unit 2 paid $460 Electric Scooter with charger, small kids bicycle, entire unit stacked about 6ft with bags and boxes.  Found some sterling 925 rings but no gold yet. 10X10 unit.

Unit # paid $225. Pewter pitcher, fishing rods and plenty of tackle, outdoor kids toys,  showcase of pocket knives and old barbershop stuff. 10x20 unit.

Still have a lot of work to do, just scoped out unit 3.

More later.

• 4 weeks later...

Update on the last 3 units.  I sold about 1/4 of the DVD's already and the queen size bed out of unit #1.  In the black on that unit now.

Unit # 2 has proved to be a lot of work as most bag units are.  There has been about $50 in change (pennies mostly) throughout every bag. I'm talking bags and boxes inside bags and boxes inside bags and inside bags.A lot of cheap jewelry and other smalls.  Nothing really great except a couple of nice game systems, DVD's, and some older (60-70's) comic books.

Unit # 3 only thing sold so far is an electric heater $20.

I also went to another auction yesterday. Bought 2 units.  A 10 X 10 with 4 aluminum wheels, exercise equipment, old desk, bunk beds. Paid $25.  I will scrap the wheels for probably $40 and sold the bunk bed for $10.  Second unit was another bag unit. 5 X 5 unit.  Paid $50.  I saw a HD set of jumper cables and a bag full of pocket books. I know pocket books sell good.  Turns out all the normal trash that women leave in pocket books was still in them. Roughly $5 in change and $265 still on gift cards  ;D. 2 Louis Vittone, and couple of Coaches as well as shoes by the same makers. If they are real it will make my day but if not they will still sell good.

So both these 2 were winners. In fact the wife is out using a couple of the gift cards today.

Got a quick update on the last 2. I ended up getting $57.40 out of the 4 aluminum wheels at the scrap yard.  I also sold a 100ft sewer snake for $5.  Just goes to show that everything has a price. At least I didn't have to clean it huh? Those items were in the $25 unit.

Out of the $50 bag unit, I sold the jumper cables for $12.

So, I am a little over what I paid for the 2 units if I count the change that came out of the bag unit.  About $5. All the rest is profit.  I love storage auctions almost as much as gravy GB locations!

Got a quick update on the last 2. I ended up getting $57.40 out of the 4 aluminum wheels at the scrap yard.  I also sold a 100ft sewer snake for $5.  Just goes to show that everything has a price. At least I didn't have to clean it huh? Those items were in the $25 unit.

Out of the $50 bag unit, I sold the jumper cables for $12.

So, I am a little over what I paid for the 2 units if I count the change that came out of the bag unit.  About $5. All the rest is profit.  I love storage auctions almost as much as gravy GB locations!

What do you do with all the worthless crap?  One more pile of junk and my garage will explode.

What do you do with all the worthless crap?  One more pile of junk and my garage will explode.

My wife and I set up at the local flea markets every now and then.  We sell a ton of stuff at them.  The trash and junk we recycle or throw away. I take aluminum, brass, lead, and copper to the scrap yard. Lay the metal out by the curb and the other scrappers will remove it very quickly. This is microwaves, old TV's, audio components that don't work, etc. I scrap the computers myself to get the aluminum, gold, etc. I can get all the boards and fingers out of a desktop pc in about 10 minutes now.

The clothes are divided into 3 piles #1 is name brand good quality clothes, #2 is flea market type, #3 is rag material.  Pile #1 is listed on Craigslist, Facebook, Ebay, Pile #2 is for the flea market and yard sale, Pile #3 is donated.

Hey Hillbilly,

Do you look for certain areas like high or low income neighborhoods around the storage units or do you just hit any auction listed?

I hit them all, but I bring more cash when in the higher income neighborhoods.

Where/how do you find out about the auctions?

Most auctioneers use www.auctionzip.com.       You just type in your zip code,  how far you are willing to travel, and what type of auction you wish to attend.  I also ask the storage facilities if they have a private mailing list.

I too use to do them

I would like to get back to it.

wife would kill me !!

It's funny you say that. My wife is always trying to get on to me. Yet, she benefits immensely from the results.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived