Vending wiki?

• 4 weeks later...

Would anyone be interested in using/contributing to a wiki dedicated to vending if I was able to create & administer one?

I take it you're talking about a buyer's group - seems like there are several vendors in the Oak City to Tulsa area that you might get to pool your resources.

I know I am just a dumbass hillbilly but what the hell is a wiki

Watch this video. It gives a very simple explanation of what a wiki can be used for, however it doesn't even scratch the surface of what you can do with one.  You could create pages & apply this same concept to just about any topic you can think of. However the one I recently started creating would be dedicated to the subject of sharing information about vending.

I take it you're talking about a buyer's group - seems like there are several vendors in the Oak City to Tulsa area that you might get to pool your resources.

A wiki is not a buyers group, They are actually a very effective way to collaborate on & share information amongst multiple users towards a common goal.  For example we could create a page on a wiki called Revision Door then we could post the instructions for installing a Revision Door on its dedicated page.  Then you could edit & improve those crappy instructions I've seen you gripe about based on your experiences that your gained while installing yours. You could even upload pictures & videos & add them as content on the page dedicated to the Revision Door. Other people who have completed installing one could also do the same.   This could be done for any topic out there, for example we could make a page for the Dixie Narco 501E & create titles & sections on how to make it vend cans bottles, how to change the price, how to troubleshoot refrigeration issues, etc . . .  I can't even begin to explain all of the possibilities that one could be used for.  We created one at my work about a year & a half ago & about 2 weeks ago I figured out how to create my own get it live on the Internet.  I am still working on getting the skeleton for it working & expect to have it completed & ready for content within the next month.

Vending How Chris; Cant fogrget the more competition it will bring too.

Huh?

He's referring to a page devoted to vending information, just like a wikipedia page, hence a "wiki." I think it would be nice to start and it would make information a lot easier to access than searching through the forums here.

He's referring to a page devoted to vending information, just like a wikipedia page, hence a "wiki." I think it would be nice to start and it would make information a lot easier to access than searching through the forums here.

Exactly, each topic could have its own searchable editable page that could be edited & improved upon by whoever had experience or knowledge they wanted to add to the topic.  We could use it to enhance this forum by creating permanent searchable pages that get repeatedly beat to death on this forum.  If you have your own site or have made videos or posts then you could link to them or include them in your edits as well.

Watch this video. It gives a very simple explanation of what a wiki can be used for, however it doesn't even scratch the surface of what you can do with one.  You could create pages & apply this same concept to just about any topic you can think of. However the one I recently started creating would be dedicated to the subject of sharing information about vending.

A wiki is not a buyers group, They are actually a very effective way to collaborate on & share information amongst multiple users towards a common goal.  For example we could create a page on a wiki called Revision Door then we could post the instructions for installing a Revision Door on its dedicated page.  Then you could edit & improve those crappy instructions I've seen you gripe about based on your experiences that your gained while installing yours. You could even upload pictures & videos & add them as content on the page dedicated to the Revision Door. Other people who have completed installing one could also do the same.   This could be done for any topic out there, for example we could make a page for the Dixie Narco 501E & create titles & sections on how to make it vend cans bottles, how to change the price, how to troubleshoot refrigeration issues, etc . . .  I can't even begin to explain all of the possibilities that one could be used for.  We created one at my work about a year & a half ago & about 2 weeks ago I figured out how to create my own get it live on the Internet.  I am still working on getting the skeleton for it working & expect to have it completed & ready for content within the next month.

Huh?

Now I got it.  A comprehensive matrix on shims and rod set ups for Dixie and Vendos would be a good start - never have gotten the handle on that.

And an unbiased article written by moondog about USI equipment.

I'm pretty sure that article would be pretty biased Chris - not to mention down right inflammatory ;D  

For what it's worth, I've got a website devoted to the "how to's" of vending as well as other general topics relevant to those wanting to get better at vending. If anyone's interested in joining forces, let me know.

It's not much at the moment but I hope to build it into a reliable source of information as time goes on.

Feel free to PM me with any comments.

I deleted the link, our policy is to not allow links by a poster to a website that he owns or somehow is involved. Per our policy you are free to add it in your signature line. There are several other members that also have websites with the intent to share information and to be helpful and they have also complied with this request.

Now about the wiki thing. The mod team has had a brief conversation and we think we can set something up that might achieve much of the same result if you guys are interested. One suggestion is to create a subforum, call it the toolbox or how to room and we can then have dedicated threads on a certain topic. We can set this up so each individual can post separately like we do here or we can adjust the settings so that posts can be added to by others. Give us some ideas to run with and lets aee what we can come up with

I deleted the link, our policy is to not allow links by a poster to a website that he owns or somehow is involved. Per our policy you are free to add it in your signature line. There are several other members that also have websites with the intent to share information and to be helpful and they have also complied with this request.

Now about the wiki thing. The mod team has had a brief conversation and we think we can set something up that might achieve much of the same result if you guys are interested. One suggestion is to create a subforum, call it the toolbox or how to room and we can then have dedicated threads on a certain topic. We can set this up so each individual can post separately like we do here or we can adjust the settings so that posts can be added to by others. Give us some ideas to run with and lets aee what we can come up with

Does this mean you don't want my unbiased article on USI products ?  ;D

Does this mean you don't want my unbiased article on USI products ? ;D

Quite the contrary, I'd love to see your unbiased review of USI equipment. ;)

Seriously though, your opinion is just as valid as mine so lets set something up so we can discuss the pros and cons in a better layout.

• 2 months later...

How about one dedicated to refrigeration troubleshooting

I prefer this idea to the Wiki one. Most of the Wikis out there are rife with spam and advertising. I've been using forums for years and years, so am quite comfortable with them. I've been pondering recording some videos about vending subjects. ( I tried to record a door swing on my last machine move, but my "helper" was less than helpful. ) I've also been thinking about expounding on a subject that is near and dear to my heart, vending security. The big lock subject. ( i.e. If you are using a key that says "RVV206" on it, guess what? I have keys to your machine. Change your locks. ) I feel like this is a subject that most new vendors NEED to know. The big problem I have is time. How do I fit writing articles in around my nerd pursuits; wargaming, painting miniatures, my volunteer work, etc. Hmm, maybe I really need to write something about how to make a time machine. 

As an aside, you have a really great forum going on here. The ads are mostly pretty unobtrusive, and the community is amazingly helpful.

I didn't see any movement on this so I am re-posting

By one I was referring to a sub-forum dedicated to refrigeration troubleshooting.  This is the thing I know the least about & appears to be the hardest topic to find any information on how to troubleshoot.

By one I was referring to a sub-forum dedicated to refrigeration troubleshooting.  This is the thing I know the least about & appears to be the hardest topic to find any information on how to troubleshoot.

How about a sticky thread about refrigeration troubleshooting? You don't want to create too many subforums.

It might be a case of a little knowledge being too dangerous Rhino.  Aside from pulling my decks, I pay the expert to do the rest.

• 2 months later...

So what does everyone of the idea of having a link to a vending dictionary?

Steve sent me a PM & said that he liked the idea of a wiki & that both sites compliment each other & asked me what I thought of having a link to it from TVF. 

After thinking about it a bit I was able to create a portal on the wiki I've been working on that is basically a dictionary with definitions & pictures that sorts & alphabetizes itself automatically as content gets added.

We discussed refrigeration troubleshooting in this thread as well as identifying parts of refrigeration decks & other parts so I started off with that idea in mind & have been adding additional content to it along the way.

Archived