Transporting Soda Machine with 2000 Chevy Silverado 2500 with Lift Gate?

bairdo3

I'm traveling 250 miles to pick up soda machine. I'm planning on standing it up in a 2000 Chevy Silverado 2500 full size pick up truck. I have a tommy lift gate capable of lifting 1100 lbs. Is this a safe way to travel being the soda machine will be standing up traveling on the highway. I have experience moving soda machines by use of a utility trailer, but had a few potentially hazardous problems occur (wheels almost falling off twice on two different trailers). Thought just a pick up truck and lift gate would be safer and easier. Just worried about weight and position of soda machine on highway. Any info is appreciated. Thanks.

As long as it is strapped down with the proper strap (2" wide) and not one of those cheap 3/4" straps, your good to go. Double strap it if at all possible, and always stop and check straps even after just ten to fifteen miles.

Good luck and be careful.

Bairdo, I am sure the truck can handle the weight. Your biggest concern is how will you secure the load. The side walls on a pick-up truck are rather short for strapping the machine down. Are there any rails attached above the standard bed? Should you need to make a hard stop I would be concerned about tHe machine toppling over. To drive 250 miles I might consider removing the refrigeration deck and then laying the machine down in the bed. Lay a couple of 30" pieces of pipe on the floor, tilt the machine over onto the pipe and let the machine roll on the pipes into the bed. Just reverse procedure when you get back. Of course you will need at least one other person to help you do this.

Good luck

I do have a durable latter rack with a removable bar on the back, but imagine that would be too high to strap it.

I do have a durable latter rack with a removable bar on the back, but imagine that would be too high to strap it.

Personally I think a Ford works better lol :)

Should be just fine, I've moved 100's of machines this way. Push it forward to the back of the cab and run a strap from the bed hooks across the top of the machine to the other side and crank that down as tight as you can. Another strap horizontally around the machine to pull it tight against the rack/back of the bed and unless you drive like a madman you will be just fine.

Personally I think a Ford works better lol :)

Should be just fine, I've moved 100's of machines this way. Push it forward to the back of the cab and run a strap from the bed hooks across the top of the machine to the other side and crank that down as tight as you can. Another strap horizontally around the machine to pull it tight against the rack/back of the bed and unless you drive like a madman you will be just fine.

Sorry mission FORD stands for F**Ked Over Rebuilt Dodge

Sorry snack dude

My FORD out lasted any GM product I ever owned.

;D

The funny thing is I could say the same thing about chevys outlasting every ford ive had

I have had two ford trucks, one I gutted and turned into a drag truck and the other had three tranys in it before I sold it.

I really do believe certain vehicles fit certain driving styles or its what you grew up with and learned to drive on.

my uncle swore that GMC stood for Gods Mechanical Curse LOL 

Now to think about it if my great-great-great grandfather would not have sold Dupuy Island to the Jefferson's I would not be having this conversation with any of y'all. This happen in 1870. Jefferson Island as it is called now is two hundred plus aces of salt dome and oil wells along with natural gas wells now.

Lesson learned don't dig up the family tree!

:angry:  :angry:

Thanks for the info so far. Also, should i be concerned using a 21 in deep lift gate? When the typical machines i get are around 36 x 36 in. I have yet to install liftgate due to debating if itll be safe on highway. Was debating using a winch and flatbed, however trailer bearings broke out and almost lost the wheel. Could have killed someone if it had fallen off. Just looking for the safest, effective way to move soda machine so i dont have to trial and error a bunch of methods. I own a "homeade" flat 5x10 utility trailer and a 6x12 enclosed trailer which ive never used before to move soda machines. Any opinions on methods of transporting long distance ??

Bairdo3,

It sounded like you were borrowing this vehicle with this Tommy lift on it.  If you are considering buying the 21" Tommy lift, save your money and find one that has a flip on it that extends the lift platform.  The 21" platform will work but it is dangerous.  I used one in my humble beginnings in the late 80's and there was a way to get a 2 deep machine on the gate with a Dutro dolly tilted over and someone to run the gate, but I actually scared myself every time I moved a snack machine with legs. 

I'm going to tell you how I did it with the understanding that you won't do this.

I would set the snack on the gate with the back legs on the platform and front legs on the ground.  I put 2x6's under the legs on each side so 2/3 of the 2x6 rested on the gate with the machine center of gravity over the gate.  This left the front legs supported in the air by the 2x6.  It sounds scary, doesn't it?  It worked to get it up, but I can't remember how I worked the machine off the 2x6's without it falling (probably a bad deep seated memory that my subconcious won't let me relive) or how I got the machines back off the truck.  Anyway, I did this for a couple of years until I had enough of the danger and upgraded to an extended gate.  I have used flip gates ever since and now use an Anthony Loadblazer because it has the deepest platform I could find at 46". 

Save yourself and don't waste time or your machines or your life with the 21" liftgate.

Thanks for your reply. I forgot to mention it does have an extension flip gate making it a total of 27.5 in. deep. Havent bought the lift yet, so im trying to get info before i do. Only paying $350 for tommy lift, so it might just be worth a try..lol

Thanks for your reply. I forgot to mention it does have an extension flip gate making it a total of 27.5 in. deep. Havent bought the lift yet, so im trying to get info before i do. Only paying $350 for tommy lift, so it might just be worth a try..lol

Okay, good.  You will be much happier with the extension on it.  If you have a tilt back dolly for your soda machines then you should be able to roll the dolly onto the gate with the big wheels just at the edge of the gate.  While someone else runs the gate up you will see that the platform moves away from the truck as it begins to lift.  This allows you to push and roll the big wheels up onto the platform just as the gate lifts off the ground.  Then you hold the load as the gate goes up and then roll the machine onto the truck and stand it up.

With snack machines you should find that the depth of the legs allows them to sit on the platform even if the machine hangs over the edge a little bit.  As long as you can get all 4 legs sitting on the platform then you are fine.  Then you walk the machine into the truck. 

A thick sheet of steel is ideal for the bed of your truck so you can slide machines in easier.  A short narrow pallet jack is also very useful for the snack machines.  You should also have a flat 4 wheel dolly with 4" polyurethane wheels on it so you can clamshell snacks through doorways.

Sounds easy enough...however nothings easy when it comes to moving soda machines. Havent ventured into snack machines yet, but I imagine those are a little lighter. Thanks for the replies. Nothing like someone elses experience. :) Much appreciated guys. Thanks !!

Archived