Snack & Combo Machines

Paveitall

Good Morning,

I'm fairly new to the vending world.  We started a small vending company about 1 year ago and have found some decent success.  To date I have around 10 snack & combo machines (All New Crane Media) and several Dixie Narco soda machines.  I absolutely love the Crane machines but recently I have had issues with delivery of these machines (damage and other issues) so I'm looking for a good substitute for Crane. 

Can anyone suggest a good solid manufacturer beside Crane for snack & combo machines?  Is AMS my only other choice?  If you going to tell me Seaga please don't waste your time responding...

Thanks for your help,

Rob

Hi Rob, welcome to the forums!

Don't worry, there is no one here that will recommend Seaga to you.  You're safe here.  What damage are you speaking of to the Crane machines?  Are these new and being damaged in shipping?  I doubt changing suppliers will solve that problem.  It sounds like you need to change trucking companies.  If this has happened with multiple shippers then you need to have a sit-down with Crane about how they package their machines for transport.  Maybe you already have and they aren't listening.  Keep in mind that Crane also owns AP and Dixie Narco and they are all built and shipped from the same factory now.  You could use AMS or USI for new machines if new is the only way you are considering going in your expansion.

I don't think you'll find the packaging of the machines to be much different with a different supplier.  They all ship the machines on skids and they are wrapped in plastic and cardboard, usually with corner protectors.  I will add that if you order machines in ones or twos you will be mixing your machines with a variety of other packages/items on the shipping trucks as the machines work their way to you.  This is where the quality of the trucking company is paramount.  When I purchased new machines my distributor was local so they would order a truckload or half a truckload so the machines would be packed in the trailer side by side with no damage (boy, those days are long gone).

If your problems are mechanically related then that is definitely a factory issue.  What has Crane's response been to you?  Will they overnight warranty parts to you? 

Good luck and keep us posted as to your resolution.

To date, 60% of the new machines I have received directly from Crane are delivered damaged. Not scratches, were talking cabinets bent to the point that the doors will not close, legs bent to the point that the machines cannot be leveled, rain or snow soaked packaging resulting in rust at the joints. Your correct they will happily send out replacement parts. My issue is that I typically order my machines once I have arranged for placement at a location. My last machine was delivered two days ago (I will try to attach some photos'). It is scheduled to be placed on Monday at a very high profile location with room for one machine (300,000 SF New Rec Center. It was delivered with 1/2 of the packaging material missing, coils broke free from the motors, soaking wet and the legs bent. Now, when this is delivered I have a choice to make, I can reject the shipment and risk losing my largest account. Or accept it, note this issues on the BOL and hope for the best from Crane? I chose the later, In my opinion Crane is responsible for the safe delivery of these machines they hire the transporter.

If it was one machine out of twenty I can understand but this is crazy. Now I'm forced to have to spend my time trying to rectify this situation again. Its to bad, from what I have seen these Media machine from crane are the best, but I need to have confidence that I'm going to receive what I've ordered.

Wow, I am shocked that Crane has not rectified this issue with their shipper.  These kinds of things are inexcusable.  I don't know whether Crane can do anything though depending on the number of machines you are shipped (just one in this instance) and where you are located.  It sounds like the shipment leaves the factory and is then transferred to one or more different shippers in order to get it to you.  This could also happen with another manufacturer as there is no way to send the machine direct to you with no stops or transfers unless you are ordering a large number of machines and they are shipped on a dedicated truck to you.  Obviously somewhere along the way the machine is left uncovered (unacceptable) which along with poor handling led to the missing packaging and wet machine.

If you have always received the machines from the same trucking company and they are not the only one serving your area then I would demand that Crane use a different transport company which might get you an entirely different stream of companies your machines are passed to before delivery.  I would also demand that Crane track each prior damaged shipment to determine if there is a common link to who might have the shoddy transport work.  Or tell them to send two of every machine in hopes that one will survive, then they can pick up the one you didn't need - sounds fair to us, doesn't it?

Do you not have any distributors near you that could order these and absorb the damage themselves or are you far away from any distributors?  You would need to look for a GPL or DN distributor as Crane doesn't use distributors and any GPL or DN guy can order the Crane stuff for you.

Maybe it's time to start using used machines that you can afford to obtain in advance so you can get them ready for when you need them.  The old days of a local distributor stocking machines in inventory are long gone, so you might need to do that yourself.  If you think about it, you might have newer machines in some not-so-great locations that you can move to better accounts when they come along and then put refurbished used machines into the not-so-great locations.

PS:  No problem with the upside down photo, I could see what it was.

I wouldn't mind used machines but I love the integrated CC readers and telemetry. If someone has used Crane Media Machines I would be a buyer. approx. 40-50% of all my sales are CC and I love having the ability to hop on line a see sales by machine. Your idea of shipping two machines, is genius I love it, I will see if Crane loves it as much as I do? Thanks for absorbing my frustration.

The best combination vending machines in the world in my opinion are made by  AMS closely followed by USI .......................Crane Merchants are a long way behind in both quality and reliability.

Hey just so you know, we are distributor for Crane, and I can guarantee you that the machines would not arrive looking like that if you bought them from us.  If you already use Crane and like the machines, I would not switch over to another manufacturer just because of the shipping issue.  Buying from someone else would fix that.  Starting out with one brand, and staying with it will benefit you in the long run.  You can keep spare parts on hand easily and have them work in all your machines, you can learn how to repair one type of machine as oppsed to several and save time, and your machines look uniform in all your accounts. 

We ship the machines right out of our warehouse, and they stay on one carrier all the way to you, and they wrapped and packaged much better that what Crane is doing to theirs.  If they have a shipment issue, we deal with it because they come to us first.  Just a thought. 

Hate to see you switch to AMS just because of bad delivery service.

You also have the option of refusing damaged shipments.

Some shipper do not allow you to refuse but generally this is not the case for shipments the end user.

If not when you received the shipment if the damaged is visible you should have noted it on the bill of lading before signing.

If National will not let you refuse damaged shipment insist they repair the damage at their cost.

You also have the option to file a claim with the shipper if you noted the damage on the bill of lading.

This is one of the services distributors provide. There is a local distributor near most vendors.

Walt

AMS and USI are far superior in build quality than the Crane Merchants and the AMS is a very versatile machine. In our market theres been a lot of issues with the Merchants the front of the machine where the keypad is located  is made of plastic and the paint wears off, they rust very easily and suffer from condensation very badly, they are simply poorly built in comparison to the other 2 machine manufacturers mentioned.

Vendors Tech your a supplier so obviously your biased and have an interest in promoting the Cranes. I am just an operator and I don't reside in the usa,  but I do know for a fact that theres been many issues with the Merchants and some still ongoing.

The best combination vending machines in the world in my opinion are made by AMS closely followed by USI .......................Crane Merchants are a long way behind in both quality and reliability.

Thanks Reel,

Have you had any experience with the Media Machines from Crane? How do AMS and USI compare in Price?

Some shipper do not allow you to refuse but generally this is not the case for shipments the end user.

If not when you received the shipment if the damaged is visible you should have noted it on the bill of lading before signing.

If National will not let you refuse damaged shipment insist they repair the damage at their cost.

You also have the option to file a claim with the shipper if you noted the damage on the bill of lading.

This is one of the services distributors provide. There is a local distributor near most vendors.

Walt

Walt

I could have rejected the shipment you are correct and Crane would have sent me a replacement. We need note all damage on the BOL. The issue is I have a set date to place this machine next week. It will be my largest account ( large rec center 300,000 sf facility with 1-2k people passing thru every day). I didn't want to chance losing the account. I would prefer to just receive undamaged machines.

Update - Crane stepped up to the plate on this machine. Here is what they are offering.

1. That I keep the damaged machine so I can meet my placement deadline

2. They will ship me a replacement machine ASAP

3. I can keep the damaged machine at a 40% discount, but I will need to pay full price for the replacement.

What do you guys think?

It sounds fair only if you want to keep the damaged machine and feel you can make it appropriately presentable to another location.  If this is the case and they will still stand behind it with their full warranty and the replacement of any parts needed now, then it sounds like a good deal - assuming the replacement machine arrives intact. 

More importantly, how are they going to change things with their shipping methods to ensure you receive machines in usable, undamaged condition?  Have they actually addressed that?

PS:  Not knowing where you're located, I wonder if this last damaged machine was in one of the snow covered highway pileups?  Was the machine delayed in getting to you?

I think the damaged leg is a bolt on part. The rest of the damage looks to be pant.

I think you should replace the 20 dollar leg and repaint for 1200.00 discount.

I think a very low percentage of National machines are damaged in shipping. It seems you have been unlucky.

Walta   

Archived