Drink machine got kicked from location . .

ki4fkw

No big deal - it wasn't killing it, anyway.

However, here is the issue.

When I first placed this machine, it was on the front of a local store that a friend of mine owns. He didn't want a commission.

He decided to lease the store and told me that leaving the machine wouldn't be an issue. (I don't care about the legalities of taking or leaving the machine . . I actually want to pull it, anyway).

I have met the new store manager several times and have built a decent rapport with him. He never asked about the commission or anything until LAST NIGHT.

I told him that we could figure out a commission to help him out on the power bill. He said "ok" and that was that. I told him that we could discuss it the next day, as he was closing the store for the night. 

TODAY, I get an e-mail from the store leasee (sp?) stating that she wishes for me to remove the machine. No problem. She also says that I now owe her for the 4 months that the machine was placed that no commission was received. She also says that the commission will be $30 for the past months for a total of $120.

Yeah, not happening. 

First, we did not agree on a commission ever. When we do, I get kicked the next day and you demand $120?

I don't mind paying them a decent price to keep a good rep, but $30 a month? Does this sound even in the ball park? The machine is a DN276E, is new, under shade and has been placed only during winter months. The highest temp it has seen is maybe 70 degrees on one or maybe two days.

First of all... to answer your question... I can't tell you whether $30/month is fair because it depends on how much money it brings in.  Some people like to "look up" how much energy a vending machine uses and then use their own math to say "This machine costs us $30/month!  The vendor should reimburse us!".  If you offered a "fair" commission of 5% of the gross and that gross was equal to $600/month in sales, then yes, $30/month would be fair.  However, from what you seem to imply, this machine never made anything near that.

Now, on to the real answer.  Pick up your machine ASAP and don't give them anything.  It sounds like they are going to give you are hard time no matter what you do.  Since you say there was no agreement for commission (meaning.. no signed+written agreement), there is nothing they can do about commission.  They probably just want you to remove your machine AND give them money for nothing.  The cops won't care and there's nothing any lawyer or anyone can do without something in writing.  

Pick it up before they find someone else to haul it away!

You don't owe anything. First thing get that machine picked up ASAP, before they move it and try to make you pay to get it back. THEN send a nice e-mail back saying that your agreement was with the landlord and therefore no commission or rent will be paid to them and get on with growing your business.

What you all have said is exactly what I had planned to do.

I am not worried about law enforcement, because I AM the law enforcement for the area that the machine is in.

If it were to be removed by them, a felony theft would have occurred.

As for the commission, I know that $30 would be fair if it had made $600 a month.  The machine makes waaaay less. Which is why I don't mind pulling it. The only reason it made what it did is because the store operators are morons. They are asking 95 cents plus tax for a can coke inside the store. I simply cannot sell a drink for anywhere near that. No one will buy, which is the problem. 

Thanks for the replies.

Just an update. I pulled the machine and a double head bulk machine that I had inside.

Just because I want to know for the future . . . let me see if I have this right:

* Just say that the power company charges $0.10 per kWh. - It is actually much lower here.

* The machine is listed at using 4 kWh per day. (Based on energystar.gov) - I know this varies by machine age / location / weather / etc. - This comes to $0.40 per day. 

* Multiply times 30 days in a billing cycle.

* The machine would use approximately $12.00 worth of electricity per month.

Does that sound correct?

It's very possible. That's probably based off a 70 degree average temp. That doesn't mean you have to pay a commission though. Vending machines are a convenience. I had a small customer years ago that wanted $20/month for electricity. I said no because they had low prices as a convenience. The owner closed two of his three hair salons that month. My machine was pulled (by me) on the following month because I saw where things were headed. Some people want something for nothing.

I just wanted to make sure that I was figuring things correctly. This way I can explain it when I address commissions with my next location so that they understand what kind of commission is reasonable.

Archived