I'm a newbie to vending! :D

iamartsy

Hey EVERYONE!

I just bought a LANCE 2038 machine and all the spools work. Finally figured out the bulb, still need a new lock and the coin acceptor work. The HUGE problem I have right now is that the bill validator doesn't work :( The Maka nb-14c makes a sound, but doesn't respond at all when I stick a bill in. I have cleaned every inch and have checked every wire but nothing. I also realized that the price on this 25 slot machine will only go up to $6.35 which is set by the machine itself. I was wondering if anyone can confirm that if i get a mag50b coinco validator is I can replace it and get a harness that will work. Also, is there anyway to make this machine set the price higher then $6.35?!? Help will be oh so greatly appreciated!!! :D I'm excited to see a community of people who love vending machines and restoring them.

The picture below looks just like the machine I have.

post-8554-0-95193000-1395977131_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the forum iamartsy!

You have purchased one of the oldest machines around which not many parts are made for any longer.  That USI 25H machine was old when I got into vending in 1985 so you should consider a different machine of much later vintage and capabilities for your use, especially at the prices you say you want to sell items at.  You mention that the Maka validator in it doesn't work, but your photo shows no bill validator.  I ran some of these machines in the late 80's but I never ran validators in them and I don't believe there is any room on the door to mount one.  This machine runs a 4 price coin mech which never originally had a validator harness as there were virtually no validators installed at that time as the technology was still in its infancy.   There were kits produced later to add a validator harness to some of the Mars 4 price mechs, I doubt any of those harnesses are around any longer as the coin mechs they were used on are obsolete.

If you're serious about selling items at high prices you should stick to a later model machine such as an AP7000, AP113 or a National 147 or 157.  All of those machines came from the factory with bill validators in them, still have most parts available and are capable of the high selling prices you're considering.

Yeah I just posted a picture I found on the internet but mine does have a bill validator in it. From the research I have done is that later on they made it an option like you said, where u can put a bill validator in there, aka the MAKA which it has a build in harness and bill (the front part. Not sure if I am calling that by the right name). The coinco 9342L coin mechanism works great. The Maka nb 14c doesn't respond when I put a bill in it. I think at this point what I will do is buy a new validator that will take $1 & $5 bills and harness and new bulb I have coming in the mail and t lock and sell it as a completely working ready to go machine. I was looking at using the money to buy a cigarette machine that is a national vendors 222 but neither one of them have a bill validator. Do you guys think it is possible to install one in these machines? And is there somewhere else on this forum I should rather be posting my questions? Thanks so much for the help!! :)

I can help you with the bill validator. If you would post a photo of the front of the validator on the door and the rear of the door showing how the validator is mounted I can determine if you can upgrade to a much better validator or if you will need to repair your Maka unit.

As far as using the National 222 cigarette machine, there were some upgrade kits that were able to add a validator to the machine mounted in an add-on box that attached to the side of the machine. If you'd like I can check if such an upgrade is still available, but don't count on it. Again, you're talking about a machine that is not in use any longer for the most part.

The National 222 cigarette machine had a box available on later machines that had a bill acceptor in it.  It was called a Billmate and there was a Billmate 1 and Billmate 2.  You can still upgrade them to newer validators but you must have a Billmate to begin with - that's the hard part.  The highest price you could get one to go to was $12.55. 

Oh that's awesome!!! Ok I think at this point I just want to get the bill validator fixed on my lance so I can get it working at least even if it only takes $1 bills. I'll make sure to take those photos tonight so you can see which one I can replace the maka with. On a sidenote... You don't happen to know where I can find a t-lock for it do you? :)

Oh and thanks for the advice on the 222! I think I'm going to buying one of those very very soon! :) going to do some research on those bill mates now that I know what they are called :)

Great AZVendor is the best person on these forums who can help you!

Don't be scare to ask any questions on vending, someone will come along and give you and answer.

I have the locks for the T-handle in stock. They are $15 for the lock and $6 per key.

Awesome!!! Do u have a website or a link where I can purchase it. I'm attaching the photos of the validator you asked for before including the lock. Let me know if you have a lock that would fit that if you know which validator I can replace the maka with. I was looking at the coinco 30b, but I'd like to get one that accepts at least $1 & $5 bills like the coinco mag 50b but not sure if it will work. Thanks again!!

e4eqesu4.jpg6une2ymy.jpgtaty2ygy.jpgu7une6et.jpgavaputen.jpgudagubev.jpganabeput.jpgatasagej.jpg5a4ytebe.jpgery3e8yg.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It looks like your T-handle that you turn on the outside is broken off, is that correct?  A replacement for that is $10 plus the lock and keys.  I will look into which validator will fit your door.  Luckily you have a full size bezel (faceplate) on your current Maka so that will make it easier to find what will fit your door.  I don't have a website to order from but I will PM you my contact information and we can go from there.

Excellent!!! Woot woot! And yes you are correct. I couldn't get a proper photo of it, but someone drilled a hole one the inside part of the lock I guess to break the old lock off so it can open. Does that mean I should buy a whole new lock and replace it all. I will try to take a photo tonight when I get home. I just replaced the bulb on the inside of the machine last night why I took all those photos and got so excited bc it's finally coming along. I am going to look at the cigarette machines this weekend and hopefully get atleast one until I can figure out how to convert it to take bills. You're the best! Having your help is so wonderful! :)

It looks like your T-handle that you turn on the outside is broken off, is that correct? A replacement for that is $10 plus the lock and keys. I will look into which validator will fit your door. Luckily you have a full size bezel (faceplate) on your current Maka so that will make it easier to find what will fit your door. I don't have a website to order from but I will PM you my contact information and we can go from there.

5y3ane3e.jpgetuvuqaq.jpg

I forgot I had these photos on my phone. There u can see there is still a piece of the old lock I have to take out and then there is a hole inside the slot where someone drilled the old one or something.

I think that is just a broken T-handle.  On the inside of the door you see a retaining clip snapped around the threaded shaft.  Pry that off with a flat blade screwdriver (be careful you don't lose it as it will probably pop off and try to fly away) then you can push the stud out toward the front of the door and then pull it out of the flange.  You will probably then see only the remains of the T-handle left at the front of the stud.

Edited by AZVendor

I think that is just a broken T-handle. On the inside of the door you see a retaining clip snapped around the threaded shaft. Pry that off with a flat blade screwdriver (be careful you don't lose it as it will probably pop off and try to fly away) then you can push the stud out toward the front of the door and then pull it out of the flange. You will probably then see only the remains of the T-handle left at the front of the stud.

excellent! Thank u! :) I will try that tomorrow when I'm home for sure!

• 5 months later...
  • 5 years later...

I’m sorry to resurrect an old thread. I have the same lance machine in this thread and am trying to adapt a mei Validator to it.  I purchased a Mako to MEI Mars adapter cable on eBay that was suppose to work but I get 2 flashes on the Validator day it’s disabled. Dip switch in coin op is set to accept $1.  Can anyone help. I know it is a really old machine, but I just have it for connivence for my employees at work. 

Throw the machine away and get something that isn't ancient.  You won't find parts for that one.  It was difficult to get it set up 15 years ago and will be harder today.  The problem is the model of coin mech can't communicate with validators.  You are dead in the water.  Time to get a better vending machine - your employees will appreciate you for it.  At least an AP7600 or newer will work and don't get any Rowe machines, they are also too old now, but the APs keep jugging along.