lost key

Okay I've done my first big dumb vending mistake since I've been doing this (only about a year).  I actually left the key to my soda machine that is located in the Laundromat at the apartments I live in.  Needless to say the key is gone and it was the only one I had.  Please chime in and tell me what my options are.  Thanks in advance

How many machines do you have?

I meant with this key

Anyways, if its a stock key get another if its custom code to you, you can order one

If there's only one or two locks with the lost key just drill em

If you have a lot it may be worth hiring a locksmith, so you don't reveal how to drill a lock to too many people (locksmiths usually use tubular key picks, however you can't DIY because its a crime in many areas to have those in a vehicle if you arent a locksmith)

Here's why you are being told to drill it:

We are understanding that you have no extra key. If you did, you could just use the other key to unlock the machine and change out the barrel.

If you have no key, you need to get in SOMEhow to service the machine and install a new barrel. The easiest way to do this is to drill out the center of the barrel until the tumblers get drilled out (I have never done this though).

Once you drill the lock out, you have to get the old barrel out and put the new one in. The only catch is that you need the new lock and barrel first.

Order a new barrel and two keys and drill the old one out. Now you will be back in business.

Your ONLY real alternative is to find the old key.

Okay looks like I will be drilling lol.  Now do all barrel fit inside these locks or are they different?

Generally speaking, all barrel locks made for vending machines fit into any ordinary vending machine.  If you were to order something other than a barrel aka: cylinder lock then it obviously wouldn't work.

You can go cheap and get a generic lock and barrel for probably $15 from ebay.  This might use a number such as #1482 or it might be one of USI's locks such as B0900, B0001, etc.. OR you can get a custom high-security set.  It will cost you more upfront as you might end up paying well over $100 for ONE barrel and a couple of locks (and possibly a master-lock depending on what kind you get) but it is worth it to get a high-security lock NOW if you are planning on expanding with more machines.  Otherwise, you will end up spending a FORTUNE to change out all of your machines.

Currently, I pay about $25/barrel for my locks.  I might be switching to another brand though.  My current barrels are called "national" locks and they are definitely high-security but they have their issues (mostly being that people like to try to pick them, which damages the barrel).  I have been quoted well over $40/barrel for different brands through different distributors.  I hear the medeco barrels can be quite expensive as well, but people tend to believe that they are the best.

I only have the one machine that this key fits and I'm not sure you I follow you on the drilling part.  What happens after I drill it?

After getting the door open and as long as you haven't damaged the inside of the T-handle or drilled through the side or rear of the T-handle and into the flange, you can replace this lock with any normal "plug" lock.  If you do happen to damage the internal surface of the T-handle or end up damaging it in some way you may need to replace it or it and it's flange.

If you would like an affordable lock and new keys you can PM me as I have a key code that no one else in your city would have.  That would prevent you from obtaining a replacement lock that might be opened by someone if your code was a common one.  I can also replace any parts you might damage by the drilling.

Okay looks like I will be drilling lol.  Now do all barrel fit inside these locks or are they different?

If you have a lock that accepts a round key, drilling out the pins is not a big deal.  If you look closely in the round slot you should see the ends of the eight pins.  Get a bit small enough to fit in the slot and drill those pins.  Once you get four or five of them drilled, the lock should pop out. I have done this in ten minutes with a 9.6 volt cordless drill.  Replace with a Medeco lock for best results ($23 plus key and shipping from LSI)  If you go with the Medeco, be sure to get two keys as you won't be drilling this one out anytime soon  ;D

I spoke to a locksmith yesterday as I have this same issue at the moment. He was willing to pick the lock for a flat $45 fee and an additional $6 to cut a key for the lock. If I need them to come to the machine, it another $50 for the service call. He told me the best way to drill it was to take the pins out one by one with a small bit.

You can buy lock pick tools for these locks for between $30 and $90 each, but you need to know if it is a 6,7,8, or 10 pin lock to get the correct tool.

Warning depending on your location and local laws it may be illegal to own, carry, or use the picks. (Here it is illegal to carry them outside your house, but not illegal to own them - theoretically you can use them inside your house for lockpicking 'practice)

Archived