Toy Soldier Claw issue..

sprint54fan

Ok Im new to this crane game...have a toy soldier on location..was working great until today..

Put money in (quarters or dollars).. crane will play correctly  but the claw when it goes down to the prize section the claw remains open and will not  close..it will come back up tho and home. The voltage meter isnt working also..I checked the fuse and the bottom fuse was burned out.. so i replaced the fuse with same kind of fuse..now voltage meter works but claw is still not closing in the play field.

The crane prizes are very low ..i have plush ordered and its coming monday.. so I dont know if it going and reaching the bottom cause it to mess up or what?

I listened to this youtube video (its for sb crane but it gives me an idea of things that could be the issue)

I also read this in the manual for the toy soldier:

Claw does not close, gantry returns to home positiona.
Check 48V on power supply.
b. Check claw fuse.
c. Check coil continuity and connections.
d. Ensure VR1 &VR2 are set correctly

So what are your guys opinions on my issue? Thanks!

It took awhile but I believe my father and I have the issue figured out. I want  say a big THANK YOU to Musser for his phone help..I wish I had your knowledge on cranes buddy but I will learn with help from yours and others!  Thanks again!

• Like 1

• 4 years later...
  • 2 months later...
On 10/26/2018 at 11:45 PM, Firstgeer said:

I’m having the same issue and also a newbie.   I haven’t been able to find the fuse location. 

Any help is appreciated 

thank you

4 fuses located by main board. If claw isn’t closing could be bad coil or bad wire too. 

• 4 years later...

I have a toy soldier crane that the claw doesn't close.  I have replaced the coil, no good.  The fuse is good, and I have around 44 volts to the terminal board on the gantry where the claw coil connects to the wiring harness.  I get voltage on the meters v1 and v2, and at the coil when it should close.  Any help I sure would appreciate it!

22 hours ago, tamvending said:

I have a toy soldier crane that the claw doesn't close.  I have replaced the coil, no good.  The fuse is good, and I have around 44 volts to the terminal board on the gantry where the claw coil connects to the wiring harness.  I get voltage on the meters v1 and v2, and at the coil when it should close.  Any help I sure would appreciate it!

I know you said you have a new coil but there is always an outside chance it maybe bad as well. If you have another coil handy that you know is good, I would swap it out a test again with coil that's known to work. If it works you know it's the coil if it doesn't it's probably an issue with the terminal board.  I will assume you don't have another coil to test so I'll move on. Inspect the claw itself and made sure that it freely closes by hand and is free of physical defects. I would make sure the leads from the new coil are hooked up correctly to the terminal board (not accidentally reversed or a lead isn't seated correctly in the terminal board). If you are getting voltage to the two screws on the terminal board (you said you were) where the coil leads plug in then you know it is still a coil issue. I have had issues in the past with some new coil leads not making contact in the terminal board. Some of them I would actually have to carefully strip off a non conductive coating to expose the conductive wire before they would work. Finally, after making sure your leads are good you need to look at the fact that the new coil may also be defective and that's where using a coil that you know works helps. 

Thanks! I don't have another new  coil, and they are hard to get.  Also, I would rather not spend $112 for another to get to the same spot.  That being said, I will strip the leads and see if that helps.  The tech at Coastal Amusements said he felt it would be a break in one of the harnesses, allowing enough voltage to read but not move the coil under load.  That is not the easiest thing to isolate, and by tearing it apart I may cause further problems.  The other part of the story is both coils ohm out between 19 and 22 volts, not open.  So I would assume they're ok.  He also said it didn't matter which coil wires went to which terminal.  This confused me because it is DC and I thought it would be polarity sensitive, but I tried swapping them anyway, no good.  

1 hour ago, tamvending said:

Thanks! I don't have another new  coil, and they are hard to get.  Also, I would rather not spend $112 for another to get to the same spot.  That being said, I will strip the leads and see if that helps.  The tech at Coastal Amusements said he felt it would be a break in one of the harnesses, allowing enough voltage to read but not move the coil under load.  That is not the easiest thing to isolate, and by tearing it apart I may cause further problems.  The other part of the story is both coils ohm out between 19 and 22 volts, not open.  So I would assume they're ok.  He also said it didn't matter which coil wires went to which terminal.  This confused me because it is DC and I thought it would be polarity sensitive, but I tried swapping them anyway, no good.  

You can test the conductivity of the leads by using a meter (testing continuity lead to lead on the coil). This saves you the trouble of shaving the leads down unnecessarily. Sorry I should have clarified that before. I get what he is saying and don't disagree that it is a possibility but it has been my experience that these thin gauge wires either work or fail altogether. I have even seen a failing power supply create isolated problems like this but that is very, very rare. Let me ask you something.....was this crane in use by you prior to this problem or is it a machine that you have just purchased? I just want to know if the claw had been working fine then just failed. I really feel this problem is at or downstream from the terminal board based on the voltage readings you're getting. I know that I would be testing the continuity on everything I could before tearing into the harness. 

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, I have a Toy Soldier crane at home, everything works fine except for when I play it the crane goes down and grabs a plush but when is about to go up it shuts down and if I have the volume up you can hear a weird ongoing sound for a few seconds like some type of static and it stays like that until I turn it off and on back again. I verified the power supply and it seems its not marking the voltage correctly (the power supply LED indicator is green and when the claw is about to go up after grabbing an item, the power supply LED indicator turns red and exactly there it shuts off. I'm thinking is a faulty power supply and was about to order the original one from Betson but I wanted to know if anyone of you has an idea about this issue before buying. Any help?

20221130_204217.jpg

Edited by Nashman89
Appears hidden

5 hours ago, Nashman89 said:

Hello, I have a Toy Soldier crane at home, everything works fine except for when I play it the crane goes down and grabs a plush but when is about to go up it shuts down and if I have the volume up you can hear a weird ongoing sound for a few seconds like some type of static and it stays like that until I turn it off and on back again. I verified the power supply and it seems its not marking the voltage correctly (the power supply LED indicator is green and when the claw is about to go up after grabbing an item, the power supply LED indicator turns red and exactly there it shuts off. I'm thinking is a faulty power supply and was about to order the original one from Betson but I wanted to know if anyone of you has an idea about this issue before buying. Any help?

20221130_204217.jpg

My money would be a on a bad power supply as well (at least that's where I would start.). Give us an update once you swap out the power supply.