Bill Acceptor for Royal RVCDE 376-8 or Snackshop 500?

Does anyone know if it's possible to add a bill acceptor to a Royal RVCDE 376-8 or a snackshop 524?

I will be putting a machine in a small Laundromat (6 washer's and 6 dryers) and I need something that will dispense change.  Because I am located in Canada I am finding it very expensive to purchase a change machine that will accept our new bills and coins so I am going to try and put in a pop or snack machine that will also accept bills and dispense change for the Laundromat.

I the Royal RVCDE or Snackshop 500 cannot accept bills, can anyone recommend a good machine for this purpose? 

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Your post is a little confusing.  Are you wanting to actually change bills for the laundromat customers to use in the washers and dryers?  If that's what you want to do they you should have a dedicated bill changer for that, else your machines will be emptied of change and then your machine won't accept any bills.

If you just want to have your machines accept bills only for purchasing from your machine then you can install a bill acceptor for that in the Royal, but not in the AP unless it has an aftermarket logic board in it that has the capability to accept a bill validator credit.  The Royal should have a cutout on the door for a validator and you will then need a harness to connect the validator to the coin mech if the machine is single price with no credit display, or to the logic board if the machine is multiprice. 

Yes I was planning on the Laundromat customer's using the pop machine to change their bills into coins to use in the washer's.  The Laundromat does not do a lot of volume (so far $60 in $1 coins/week and $45 in quarter's/week has been the highest) so I was hoping a the pop machine would be sufficient.

I have looked for a used dedicated bill changing machine but the cheapest I have found that will accept our new Canadian bills and coins is $2,400 + our 13% sales tax.  I already have the Royal pop machine so I was thinking it might be more economical to use it for change as well.

Would it be possible to put in a larger coin dispenser that could hold at least 200 quarter's?

If using the machine is not an option I guess I will have to get the stand alone change machine.

I'm brand new to vending so I appreciate your advice!

If the Royal is a multiprice machine you can get a 4 tube coin mech for it with two tubes of quarters, if the Mars VN4510 coin mech is available up there.  If your machine is only a single price machine then you are stuck with coin mechs that only have one quarter tube holding just under $20 in quarters.  I might be able to get you a VN4510 coin mech and send it to you but it's questionable if I can get it tuned for your coins.  You would be better off looking up there for one.  If you find one and it doesn't have a cassette with two quarter tubes, that can be changed.  You might want to price the bill acceptor before you do this since you have specialized bills up there and the validator might be pretty expensive.

You could also get a newer soda machine that can handle up to a 5 tube coin mech.  That would certainly be less money than a $2400 bill changer.  Finding a DN276E or a Vendo V576 would give you a smaller sized machine with current technology.

Let me know if I can help.

I just left a message at a vending supplier up here to see how much a bill acceptor will cost me. 

This is a newbie question but how can I tell if my Royal machine is multiprice or single price?

I see if I can find a DN276E or a Vendo V576 at a decent price as well.

Thanks again for all the information!

If the machine is a multiprice machine then you will have a credit display on the front of the door in the coin casting (it might look like a "use correct change" light) that shows the amount of money inserted.  You would also have a logic board at the top of your door above the coin mech and validator location. 

I just checked and there is a digital display above the coin slot so it must be a multipriced machine. 

Since the washer's take $1 coins (we Canadians call them loonies) and the dryer's take quarters it would be ideal if I could set up the machine to dispense $1 coins when a bill is deposited and dispense quarters when a $1 coin is deposited.

Do you think that would be possible to do from a Royal pop machine or would I need a specific bill changer for something like that?

You can't get the coin mech to give different coin payouts from different bills on purpose, that's not what they are designed to do.  The coin mech will only pay change in the most efficient way.  If you have a dollar tube and someone changes a dollar bill, the coin mech will pay one dollar coin as it will if someone pressed the coin return after depositing a loonie.  Until the dollar tube runs out you will only get dollar coins back, then you will get quarters back after the dollar tube is empty.  The problem you have, as I'm sure you recognize, is that your laundry machines don't take all the same coin - a big mistake.  A laundromat should operate on the same coin throughout the facility.  Otherwise you will have this type of problem.  Even a bill changer won't be able to do what you want unless it's a large one with two coin hoppers, one loaded with quarters and one with loonies.  Then you would program the changer as to how it will handle each type of bill.  Vending machines are not designed to do that.

Maybe you could convert your laundry equipment to all one coin?

I just spoke with a vending supply company and they basically confirmed what you said above.  It looks like I will need an expensive dual hopper change machine if I want to be able to give both $1 coins and quarters as change.  I just took over the Laundromat last month and so far it's not making a profit so I may decide to remove the laundry machine's all together.  I will have to see how it goes.  I'm still very interested in the vending business though.

I appreciate all the advice!

I just spoke with a vending supply company and they basically confirmed what you said above.  It looks like I will need an expensive dual hopper change machine if I want to be able to give both $1 coins and quarters as change.  I just took over the Laundromat last month and so far it's not making a profit so I may decide to remove the laundry machine's all together.  I will have to see how it goes.  I'm still very interested in the vending business though.

I appreciate all the advice!

If you pull all your laundry machines, the vending machines will also take a nose dive as there won't be any foot traffic to support them.  You might try some Cranes in this type of locatiion.

Right now the washer's take two $1 coins and the dryer's take one quarter for a few minutes of drying.  I think the washer coin slides only have 5 slots so I don't think I could convert them to quarter's and I'm not sure if it's possible to convert the dryer's to $1 coins.  I might have to look into that.

Yes I am running the Laundromat as well so I need an automated way to provide change when I'm not there.  Running the Laundromat is a little easier with the $1 coins.  Just less coins to count and handle.

That's a good point about the lack of foot traffic if we pull out the laundry machine's but I was wondering if I could just have a store that is all vending machine's.  Like a convenience store with no attendant.  Has anyone in the forum tried something like that before? 

I might be getting ahead of myself considering I just bought my first 2 vending machine's and they have not made it out of my garage yet (still need to get the coin mech's updated and learn how to use them) but that's my latest crazy idea. 

Speaking of this, can anyone recommend an elevator style machine that could vend delicate things like milk or eggs, or a machine that could handle larger items like entire cases of soda or boxes of diapers?

That's a good point about the lack of foot traffic if we pull out the laundry machine's but I was wondering if I could just have a store that is all vending machine's.  Like a convenience store with no attendant.  Has anyone in the forum tried something like that before? 

I might be getting ahead of myself considering I just bought my first 2 vending machine's and they have not made it out of my garage yet (still need to get the coin mech's updated and learn how to use them) but that's my latest crazy idea. 

Speaking of this, can anyone recommend an elevator style machine that could vend delicate things like milk or eggs, or a machine that could handle larger items like entire cases of soda or boxes of diapers?

What you're talking about is an arcade - see the amusement vending forum. I know Dogcow owns one but most of those guys put out Crane style machines.  Fastenal makes a series of specialty vending machines, but they're not cheap.

Those Fastenal machines look great!  I'll have to look into prices.

orsd: Yes I think I would like a micromarket.  But is the kiosk automated/unattended?  And if stuff is just left out on a shelf how do they deter theft?  My location is not exactly a place where I would want to rely on the honour system.

Yeah, it's unattended and automated

Moondog, what is that heresy you speak of?

I think the fastenal units are actually USI s

Also, for things like eggs you can use a cold food machine

Yeah, it's unattended and automated

Moondog, what is that heresy you speak of?

I think the fastenal units are actually USI s

Also, for things like eggs you can use a cold food machine

Yep. they're custom made by USI and they'll run you some steep bucks compared to the used snack machines we buy.

I thought you hated usi

They are not my favorite but I still own one, a 3013 which is much better made than their new stuff.  There's not a lot of options when you need a three wide.

Archived