Dixie Narco 5591 drop sensor standard?

Hi,

I am new to the vending world and was told my DN 5591 did not have any type of guaranteed vend. I will not be back to see that machine for a while, and after reading the manual see it does in fact have a drop sensor. Is this standard equipment on all machines? I am hoping I have it...

All Bevmax machines were equipped with one or two vend sensors. As orsd said, many people have bypassed the sensors because they don't understand how to aim them, resulting in beeping sensors that won't stop. All machines had one sensor that looks through the recovery unit and newer models (yours may be included) have a second sensor mounted at the lower end of the light cover that looks across the machine above the vend door.

The bottom sensor is to detect a bottle left in the recovery unit and it will prevent a second product from being dropped onto one already in the recovery unit. This generates a scrolling "remove bottle" message. The upper sensor is to prevent theft when a hand holds the vend door closed, allowing multiple vends without detection when the retry limit is set.

In order to use the guaranteed vend feature you must have a working lower sensor, the sensor must be enabled in the programming and then you must set the retry limit to a number equal to the number of vend attempts you want each customer to have before the machine refunds their money should no product be vended.

If you need a sensor for your machine you can PM me as I have it in stock

The sensors that Dixie used on the first few generations of the Bevmax were crap. Incredibly hard to aim, easily broken, and with poor detection. They've gotten better over time, the Energy Star models work quite well with them. Most technicians bypass the sensors and turn off the drop sensor in the programming. 

All. Thanks for the help. I checked the machine today and think they were in fact pulled. I saw holes that looked to be filled in. I did try to enable the sensor, and it would just refund ever vend even though it was successful.

It looks like I shouldn't just buy a replacement as I don't want difficult equipment. Do you have the upgraded OEM model, or just a replacement?

Any model number website for the star ones?

The 5591 is a later model and is MDB capable already, so I don't know what upgraded model you are referring to.  The later models were the Bev 2, 3 and 4 that used the elevators.   The new vend sensors for this machine are easier to aim as they now use a red beam that shines on the opposite wall for aiming and they use ratcheting shimmed washers to aim the sensor.  If you wish to put a good sensor on it you can PM me for the part.

One of reasons the sensors are often disabled is when you have only 1 sensor in the delivery bin. The scum will find a way to hold the flap up without blocking the beam this stops the product from breaking the beam and gives a free vends and a refund.

The best way to stop this is to add an upper beam in front of the bottom shelf. The upper sensor will detect 90 % of vends. The lower sensor is needed for the rest and to prevent 2 glass bottles from hitting each other.

Generally when the sensors fail or are out of alignment it is because someone is storing items in the machine.

Don’t store anything in this machine but a few shims!  

Also you must keep this machine and your product very very  clean or you will have miss fires.

Walta

Archived