Do our suppliers have a credit card fetish?

TWvend

I am not trying to run down our suppliers in any way. I just have a problem understanding their way of doing business. 

In the first case, I ordered some product the last week of March.  May 6th, they called to let me know its in, and they needed my credit card info right away to process the order & ship . I gave the card numbers , and asked if the order would be shipped that day. I was told NO , its not here yet. Why would they want my credit card information to fill an order they don't have the merchandise for at that moment ? The order was processed & shipped May 15th. It is due for delivery tomorrow , May 22nd.

Second case, On May 6th , I call another supplier to inquire about racks, 2 different sizes. I was informed they didn't have stock , my racks would be ready May 14th . On May 14th they called and said the one rack was ready , but the other size wasn't yet , could we have your credit card info so when it is ready , we can process your order & ship. Today , May 21st, I get a call that my order is ready. I am aware everyone's circumstances are different.  I am trying to grow a business, I use a debit card, and do not have an abundance of spare cash to have tied up in a bank account for weeks waiting for suppliers to process an order.  I cant help but wonder why things are done this way. I try to be open minded, I thought you asked for payment at the moment you were ready to deliver the goods ?

Regarding the seemingly disorganized activities of some suppliers, I have come to understand that most of the suppliers are very small enterprises. Pretty much all of the bulk toys you purchase come from China. These small companies have to order a certain amount of product to secure a shipping container and a spot on a ship to bring those products to the US. These small suppliers can't afford to finance these orders out of revenue they haven't yet received. That is why they want your money up front to help them meet their shipping costs so the product can ship sooner.

As for the racks, it is probably a matter of subcontract manufacturing. Whoever you're buying the racks from probably doesn't have a factory. They probably subcontract the manufacturing of the racks to another company. They probably order so many of each size each quarter based on historical order trends. One size was probably produced first and then your second size was next in line to be made.

I have never had an order take more than a week. 

That's great ! I need to start ordering from them if they always get your order to you the in a week . What suppliers do you recommend?

I'm probably the only person on this board that uses TJ King/5 Star, but honestly of all the companies they have the best service. I've ordered stuff and had it the next day. They cost a little more, but if you have to have something in a hurry, they deliver. Otherwise, I've been pretty happy with A&A's response time. Oak is the worst I have dealt with. They never answer phone calls or emails. I sent an email three weeks ago asking for a price on coin mechanisms and still haven't received a response. Eagle isn't best for service, either. They make great machines (the coin mechs are practically a piece of art), but it took a few weeks to get them.

I'm probably the only person on this board that uses TJ King/5 Star, but honestly of all the companies they have the best service. I've ordered stuff and had it the next day. They cost a little more, but if you have to have something in a hurry, they deliver. Otherwise, I've been pretty happy with A&A's response time. Oak is the worst I have dealt with. They never answer phone calls or emails. I sent an email three weeks ago asking for a price on coin mechanisms and still haven't received a response. Eagle isn't best for service, either. They make great machines (the coin mechs are practically a piece of art), but it took a few weeks to get them.

I have ordered from them also. One inch mostly you can get products for multi suppliers prices are not that bad

Archived