24V and 117 confusion!

I know this is probably a silly question but I dont want to plug a 24 volt validator into my machine until I am sure of the answer!

I have a soda machine with an mdb coin mech and a coinco bab30 validator.  Am I correct in thinking the coinco validator uses a 24 v harness which plugs into the machines board and the mdb coin mech, but is also capable of running a non mdb coin mech using a 117v harness?  The coinco validator states 117v on the back, but I read it uses both interfaces.  This machines harness has the small connector which plugs into the back section of the pins.  I use the front section on my other machines (not mbd coin mechs)

I am looking to replace the validator with an mei, do I need to buy a 24Volt  with correct harness to plug into my mdb coin mech?  Do mdb coin mechs only work at 24V.

What mei validator would you recommend? (needs to take the new $5 bill)

Thanks!

I know this is probably a silly question but I dont want to plug a 24 volt validator into my machine until I am sure of the answer!

I have a soda machine with an mdb coin mech and a coinco bab30 validator.  Am I correct in thinking the coinco validator uses a 24 v harness which plugs into the machines board and the mdb coin mech, but is also capable of running a non mdb coin mech using a 117v harness?  The coinco validator states 117v on the back, but I read it uses both interfaces.  This machines harness has the small connector which plugs into the back section of the pins.  I use the front section on my other machines (not mbd coin mechs)

I am looking to replace the validator with an mei, do I need to buy a 24Volt  with correct harness to plug into my mdb coin mech?  Do mdb coin mechs only work at 24V.

What mei validator would you recommend? (needs to take the new $5 bill)

Thanks!

First of all, your coinco BA30 validator is, in fact, a 117v validator (aka 110v or 115v).  However, to my understanding, those coincos were built to be MDB-capable.  If you look at your validator, you should notice a harness adapter that is usually shaped like a Y and it plugs into two spots on the validator, enabling it to communicate via MDB.  While I consider those model of bill acceptors to not be true MDB validators, it does work fine with the MDB adapter (as they were designed that way).  With that said... once the adapter is plugged in and the MDB harness plugs into the adapter (the adapter that plugs directly into the bill acceptor), it is now running on "24 volts" (which can also be labeled sometimes as 27v or 34v).  For clarification, we will only use 110v or 24v.

Here is where it gets tricky.  Your BA30 is a 110v bill acceptor (because the 0 in the "BA30" stands for 110v) but, if you had a BA32, it would be a 24v (because the 2 stands for 24v).  But the 24v BA32 is NOT the same as a 24v MDB connection.  You would, again, need to use that MDB adapter to enable the BA32 or BA30 to communicate via MDB.  When MDB is not enabled (if you don't have the adapter), the validator automatically defaults to its regular voltage... in your case, it defaults to 110v which will work on many single-price machines that operate off 110v as well as machines such as AP 7000's that operate off of 110v.

The reason why I went through all of that is because I need you to understand that 110v, 24v (non MDB) and MDB are 3 different things.  MDB runs off of 24v, 27v, or 34v (and maybe some other voltages that I haven't seen).  Unless someone corrects me on this, all you have to do is buy a mars 24volt validator (such as a MEI 2502 or 2512) and an MDB harness to go with that validator.

So to answer your question.. yes, you need the correct harness to go with your MEI validator but it MUST end in 2 (2502, 2512, 2702, 2712).  

The validator does not really plug into the coin mech.  The validator plugs into the MDB harness which the coin mech plugs into as well.  Everything is communicating with the board when it's on MDB as MDB stands for Multi-Drop-Bus.

Once you get the right validator AND the right harness (look for MEI MDB harness) then you will be good to go.  By the way, all MDB works with other MDB (with rare exceptions from old modified equipment).  Your coin mech may be running 24v MDB and your coin mech may be running 34v MDB but none of that matters as they are both MDB.  This is why I mention, earlier, that 24v, 27v, and 34v are all kind of the same thing.  The big confusing part is that you COULD have a 24v coin mech that is NOT MDB or you could have a 24v validator that is NOT MDB.  They are not synonymous with each other, but MDB devices DO operate off of 24-34v.

Again, you need an MEI validator that ends in a 2.  You need an MDB harness for an MEI validator.  And to make the validator accept 5's, you should specifically look for a validator that is advertised as being 2008 $5-ready.  If the validator is flashable, it can be upgraded, but you should try to get one that already accepts 5's.  Either ask someone on this forum such as AZVendor if he has an MEI validator that is $5-ready.  If you want to check a place like ebay, look for an MEI 2512 updated for new 5's.  You probably will need to buy the MDB harness separately though.

Oh, and here's a quick tip about the numbers on MEI validators (to the best of my knowledge).

On a validator such as the 2512, here is what the numbers stand for.

The 2 almost certainly stands for 2000 series validator.  

The 5 probably just means it's the 5th generation or something along those lines.  I have seen 24xx, 25xx, 26xx, and 27xx.

The 1 usually means it's the larger bill box (which holds more bills, roughly 300).  The 0 means it's the smaller bill box (probably 200).

The 2 at the end means 24v.  A 1 at the end would mean it's a 110v, such as a 2511.

Note:  To my knowledge, you can only get a 2702 or 2712 as MDB as the harness is already attached.  If you were to get one of these units, you should not need to buy a harness to go with it.  They are also capable of taking the new 5's, 10's, and 20's.

Yes, the later Coinco BA30/50's and all Mag 30/50's are dual interface, meaning they will work in a single price machine or they will also accomodate the MDB protocol.  This is the only validator in the industry that does this.  The Coinco 24v BA and Mag validators will be dual interface, but using micro-mech (traditional 12 and 15 pin coin mechs and validator connections using the 9 pin and/or 18 pin Mars-type connectors) or the MDB interface.  Unless a Coinco unit has a built in MDB harness, such as on a BA32R, you will have to install a separate Coinco MDB harness onto the pins on the bottom edge of the validator board.

Mars validators are different in that their 110v units are never used with MDB, but only with single price or micro-mech connections.  The Mars 24v units can be connected using micro-mech or MDB, and all of these interfaces use specific harnesses. 

If you wish to exchange your Coinco BA30B for a $5 capable unit I can help you with this.  I can provide you with a factory rebuilt Coinco Mag50B or Mars VN2502, either of which will accept the new 5's and be MDB capable.  The advantage with the Coinco is you won't need an additional harness since you are currently using a Coinco unit.  The Mars however, will require a separate harness to be purchased to go with that validator. 

You can PM me for information on an exchange for your bad unit.

Thankyou Angry Chris for such a comprehensive guide!  The coin mech states 34V, I was confused because the validator said 117V .  Now I understand how it works.

I guess if your vending machine has a 24V validator and coin mech, you can change to a 110V as long as both validator and coin mech are 110V and you are using the correct harness.

AZ Vendor thankyou for your reply both very informative.  The coinco validator I have is good I just need to get a validator to take the new $5 bill.

Thankyou Angry Chris for such a comprehensive guide!  The coin mech states 34V, I was confused because the validator said 117V .  Now I understand how it works.

I guess if your vending machine has a 24V validator and coin mech, you can change to a 110V as long as both validator and coin mech are 110V and you are using the correct harness.

AZ Vendor thankyou for your reply both very informative.  The coinco validator I have is good I just need to get a validator to take the new $5 bill.

If you're taking fives , you'll need at least a 4 tube coin mech

Thankyou Angry Chris for such a comprehensive guide! The coin mech states 34V, I was confused because the validator said 117V . Now I understand how it works.

AZ Vendor thankyou for your reply both very informative. The coinco validator I have is good I just need to get a validator to take the new $5 bill.

You can not put a 110v mech and validator in a 24v machine and visa-versa. The machine that you have the coinco in only works because the validator can run as MDB. Your machine uses MDB, so you generally need an MDB mech and val.

A machine using MDB needs an MDB mech and val.

A machine running off 110v needs a 110v mech and val.

A machine running iff 24v (non-MDB) needs a 24v mech and val.

Your specific coinco validator will work in a 110v machine OR an MDB machine because it operates on either interface, but your MDB coinmech will only work in MDB machines because it only works as MDB.

There are lots of exceptions to what I said but you will find that if you tried to plug an MDB coinmech into a non MDB machine, there wouldn't be any place where the plug would fit.

Do NOT plug a 24v mech into a 110v machine. It will fry your coinmech.

OK I think I've got it, so the validator for my vendo can be 24V as its running MDB to the MDB coin mech.  MDB runs at 24V.  The harness should match like for like so as not to plug into the wrong thing.  I have a snack machine which has a 24 v mech and validator, this cannot be replaced with a 115v as the machine is a 24v machine!

Thanks Chris

Archived