How to Tighten Chain On A Royal 650

There is a spring tensioner on the right side sprocket that takes up slack and should keep the chain from sagging. Keep in mind that the chain isn't tight like on a bicycle but is still flexible when tensioned correctly. There is also a chain guide in the middle of the cabinet that supports the middle of the chain. It doesn't have a sprocket but just supports the weight of the chain.

I could figure it out by looking at it, I'll ask instead! I bought this machine used and not refurbish, so it has some use on it.

Thanks

cajun

A 650 is a Merlin IV with separate vend motors for each column - the GIII 660 has a chain, I'm not sure where you're seeing a chain on the 650. :blink:  Is this the same Royal you've been working on for the last year or so?

Thanks AZ

The problem is I have Powerade bottles in front and back in rows all the way to the right column 1&7. The mechanics drink a bunch of it and every once in a while it acts like it is going to vend and nothing falls out and it takes the money. The owner called me yesterday morning about it doing it again, I asked her not to let anybody buy from it so I can investigate the problem.

I was on the road five minutes from there, asked if any one put money in it after it acted up and no was the answer. I opened up machine hopping to find a bottle hanging or stuck. Nothing! I emptied both columns without a hiccup! I had the mechanic hold door and feed money into it so I can watch it work and it never acted up.

Yes it is a Royal 660 with a chain with four cups to tug on different columns, and it is spring loaded on right side of machine. 

I inspected chain, cups and gears to make sure nothing was missing, it re-homes cups after I close the door on machine. 

It is starting to do it more often. I was hoping tighten up on chain would help.

Any ideas?

It only does it on the Powerade columns only.

mike

Thanks AZ

The problem is I have Powerade bottles in front and back in rows all the way to the right column 1&7. The mechanics drink a bunch of it and every once in a while it acts like it is going to vend and nothing falls out and it takes the money. The owner called me yesterday morning about it doing it again, I asked her not to let anybody buy from it so I can investigate the problem.

I was on the road five minutes from there, asked if any one put money in it after it acted up and no was the answer. I opened up machine hopping to find a bottle hanging or stuck. Nothing! I emptied both columns without a hiccup! I had the mechanic hold door and feed money into it so I can watch it work and it never acted up.

Yes it is a Royal 660 with a chain with four cups to tug on different columns, and it is spring loaded on right side of machine. 

I inspected chain, cups and gears to make sure nothing was missing, it re-homes cups after I close the door on machine. 

It is starting to do it more often. I was hoping tighten up on chain would help.

Any ideas?

It only does it on the Powerade columns only.

mike

Sounds like your drop sensor under the vend bucket is not working - that won't stop the misvends but will usually solve the lost money problem.  I say usually because my GIIIs still take the money about once in every 500 vends so it's not fool proof.

Sounds like your drop sensor under the vend bucket is not working - that won't stop the misvends but will usually solve the lost money problem.  I say usually because my GIIIs still take the money about once in every 500 vends so it's not fool proof.

Thanks moondog

If would do it on the other columns I would suspect a drop sensor, it only does on the columns of powerade, 1 & 7. 

Could it be the drop sensor is set to sensitive? It started doing this about six months ago and I'm getting more calls about it.

Mike, the drop sensor could be the issue since both these columns are on the far right side.  You are correct that the chute sensor is probably too sensitive and that issue usually will show up in the far reaches of the chute.  Turn your sensor adjustment 1/4 LESS sensitive and see if that helps.  After the adjustment you must test both rear corners and the center columns to verify the adjustment doesn't affect any other columns (usually doesn't).  Also make sure that the chute is secured with it's hex screw and that the rear corners are floating, not tightly jammed into the cabinet.

Mike, the drop sensor could be the issue since both these columns are on the far right side.  You are correct that the chute sensor is probably too sensitive and that issue usually will show up in the far reaches of the chute.  Turn your sensor adjustment 1/4 LESS sensitive and see if that helps.  After the adjustment you must test both rear corners and the center columns to verify the adjustment doesn't affect any other columns (usually doesn't).  Also make sure that the chute is secured with it's hex screw and that the rear corners are floating, not tightly jammed into the cabinet.

Thanks Az

I will try ur suggestion and look at chute closer, to make sure it is floating.

I will let you know if i need a sensor for it AZ.

Next time before you open the door check to see if it gives you a sold out message on the selection that messed up. I suspect you might also have a jamming issue because both selections are noncarbonated drinks. If the above suggestions don't get you anywhere try only keeping the column half full for a week or so and see if the problems persists.

Next time before you open the door check to see if it gives you a sold out message on the selection that messed up. I suspect you might also have a jamming issue because both selections are noncarbonated drinks. If the above suggestions don't get you anywhere try only keeping the column half full for a week or so and see if the problems persists.

Thanks mission

I've took AZ advice and double checked chute and then I turned down the sensitivities 1/4 turn and tested all the columns, worked like always, everything would drop.

It would do it even if columns was 1/2 full.

I never got machine to act up on me, I even made the workers put money in and press the button, still worked!

CRAZY!

cajun 

Thanks mission

I've took AZ advice and double checked chute and then I turned down the sensitivities 1/4 turn and tested all the columns, worked like always, everything would drop.

It would do it even if columns was 1/2 full.

I never got machine to act up on me, I even made the workers put money in and press the button, still worked!

CRAZY!

cajun 

What a great Idea!!! Just stand there and make people put money in your machines - does seem a little heavy handed though ;D

• 2 weeks later...

Got called today, column #7 took money and never did drop a drink.

I will try switching out switch behind button for column 7 with another just to see what will happen.

I need to get this thing figured out.

The select button won't be the cause of this if the credit was used up or the chain ran when the button was pressed.  The only thing a bad button will result in is the credit still being on the machine and no sound of a vend occurring.

Are columns 1 and 7 set up for bottles? Did you pull out the LONG ROD or SHAFT to switch from cans to bottles? This is a rod found on the front of the machine that has a flat, silver head that you use to switch from cans to bottles. You want this rod to connect to the product stops ( both) through the upper hole? Did you set the depth to 1? Grab a flashlight and inspect those white paddles with aluminum ends...they are called "pivots". Sometimes they crack and you can only spot a cracked white plastic pivot by test vending at least 3 times per column? Is your "spring anti tilt" present? These do break and it can really mess up your vends!

Here is the manual!

www.dsvendinginc.com/pdf-manuals/r10.pdf

Call Royal vendors EARLY in the AM at 1 800 321 8637 ask for tech support!

right in the middle? Like a hole  in a donut!

Like a hole in a gators head!

I got what is called in French a  (tete der) hard head!

I figure for me to learn these machines I need to get it fixed myself.

Besides I don't think they will understand me (Royal) when I'm calling them names in French. lol! Got a bad case of the Cajun accent!

The machine will sit for now, while the tire/mechanic shop closed down, the building was sold to a different owner. It will be a machine shop and will have 25 to 30 employees!

I did have a talk with the new owner he approved my machines and glad I did not pull them.

cajun

I had a problem with a GIII that was also chain driven.  I had to do a couple of things.  At first, I simply loaded the cans and realized (after loading) that I sort of needed them to be unloaded to properly change the rod.  I found this out because the cans kept jamming up (probably because 3 or even 4 cans were falling into the rotor instead of just 2).  Finally, I adjusted the rod.  I had already set the depth to 2-deep so everything was physically set up fine.  However, when I ran the machine, it would NOT pull out of those columns.  I was pretty upset so I called Royal and they told me what I really needed to hear.  

If the column is not dispensing, it is some kind of a jam.  I thought, okay, so lets clear the jam.  The guy did tell me that it COULD be the rotors sticking but to check for a jam first.  What I realized was that, when my rotor initially jammed up with the cans in it, those rotors were in such a position that they would simply not turn to allow the cans to come down nor would the cans allow the rotors to turn.  What I ended up doing was I took the cans BACK out, turned the rotor MANUALLY, put the cans BACK IN, and viola!  Every can (from about 3 different columns) worked perfectly fine.  The odd thing was that they all exhibited the same problem (not dispensing) and they all required the same solution (turn the rotors manually and reload AFTER setting the rod and set-depth properly)

So here I am telling you to try to unload those columns, turn the rotor by hand (it may require messing with the little plastic lever that the chain pulls on) and try loading some cans and see what it does.  If that fixes the problem, you can thank me for being totally awesome and knowing everything there is to know about that very specific problem.

Well AngryChris

The machine work fine for almost a year until one day it took the money, and did not dispense a drink. I showed up and proceed to empty slot 1&7 of powerade. 

I didn't think nothing about it, because it is a machine it will happen.

Now it is doing it more regularly and I can't make it duplicate the problem when I show up.

The new owner will let me switch over to cans on machine, but still wants powerade in machine, so I have some time to investigate problem with machine.

Thanks

cajun

Well AngryChris

The machine work fine for almost a year until one day it took the money, and did not dispense a drink. I showed up and proceed to empty slot 1&7 of powerade. 

I didn't think nothing about it, because it is a machine it will happen.

Now it is doing it more regularly and I can't make it duplicate the problem when I show up.

The new owner will let me switch over to cans on machine, but still wants powerade in machine, so I have some time to investigate problem with machine.

Thanks

cajun

Move the Powerade to another column and wait and see if the problem reoccurs in columns 1&7 with cans or if it moves with the Powerade.

That was my plan mission move the powerade to other columns and put cans in slot 1&7.

I will inform the new employer about machine, so they will work with me on this.

Thanks

Archived