ap 112 lights work, no display, board buzzing

I got a service call about a problematic machine not working. I noticed a rather noticeable buzzing sound when I first turn the power on.I started disconnecting items to try to isolate something. I noticed a few things.

Many of my motors were not in their normal position.

The buzzing only happened if the motor harness was plugged in.

I moved all of tge trays out to try to bypass the chance that one motor was causing problems when, suddenly, several motors started vending. Some of these motors were already home but they were vending simultaneously.

I concluded that it is the board but I'm hesitant to send this off for repair if it's something else.

Also, after the first louder buzz when power was first applied (with the motor harness connected), it would make continuous sounds sort of like a faint click and a short dull buzz, like a heart beat. It is extremely hard to tell in the location due to machine noise but the noise seemed to come from the thing that looks like a large capacitor or small battery lahing on its side with wires coming out of both ends. I'm not sure if that's what was buzzing.

Also, there was a small metal piece sticking out of the board that was extremely hot.

If you have a component on your logic board that is buzzing then your board is probably bad, especially if it's a capacitor that's buzzing, but see the next sentence. 

You should also check for proper voltages in to the board from the transformer as you might be getting real high voltage in to a circuit that is supposed to be low voltage.  Do that before you send the board in as you might only need a transformer, but I would plan on the board being bad now, too.  I would also be curious if you were working with a specific shelf when "several motors started vending" as it could indicate a problem with that shelf, though your trouble seems deeper than that.

Thank you Randy!  Send me them parts please!

That was a good call Randy made about checking that transformer first - the last thing you want to do is blow another board because your transformer's shot

The problem is likely to be a bad board.

But before you order a replacement board, try turning the machine off for 60 seconds then try it one more time.

Sometimes these machines will lock up and can act very strangely and just need to be restarted.

Walta

Try disconnecting the coin mech and validator also. With everything disconnected but the power there shouldn't be any sounds..... Shorted payouts on a mars 6000 or 6010 can cause problems with board.

Try disconnecting the coin mech and validator also. With everything disconnected but the power there shouldn't be any sounds..... Shorted payouts on a mars 6000 or 6010 can cause problems with board.

Glad to see you back Roger, some of the guys here were missing you, seems like Moondog has a real man crush going on..... ;D

I already tried this. The noise only happened when the motor harness was plugged in. I was hoping that it was just a coin mech problem.

The problem is likely to be a bad board.

But before you order a replacement board, try turning the machine off for 60 seconds then try it one more time.

Sometimes these machines will lock up and can act very strangely and just need to be restarted.

Walta

Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately, I had this machine off for a good five minutes and no fix :(. Randy is sending me some parts. I hope the transformer checks out okay.

Archived