I kick myself when I go on the route without

Actually I'm not sure which is worse, leaving without change bags or leaving without a sandwich. With the bags I'm collecting the cash and I look to the coin mech and see an empty nickel slot. Now I have to dump out my collection bag and count nickels. When I heard you'd be counting money in this business, I didn't think this is what they meant.

On the other hand, something to eat (no not a candy bar soda sandwich) is the last line of defense between me and a blood sugar crash. Being prepared on the route is all about having a decent meal. It's so easy to eat another bag of chips and call it done, but after I'm out for 14 hours, I gotta eat something.

Although, come to think of it, leaving without my knife is horrible too. Just imagining cutting open boxes with the side of my truck key.

Anyone else experience this kind of thing? There's so many little things to keep track of.

Yes!

I happen to be home eating a subway foot long, when my vending buddy from Lafayette drove up to drop off a coin mech, I needed and gave him 1/2 the sub. because he was starving as he called it!  To busy to stop to get some thing to eat!

To many food places around me for me to go hungry!

I hate it when I forget my money pouches for the day.  Then I have to stuff all the money in my pockets and try to remember which pocket was for what machine and by the end of the day I'm long out of pockets, looking like a stripper after a good night, and just have to leave the cash in the machine until  my next trip. This is okay for the slower machines but my high volume ones would max out those $300 bill boxes. What I can't figure out is why anybody would need a $500 bill box.  If you ever hit the $300 mark the machine really is way overdue for serving, meaning the hot sellers are long gone and my machines all tend to be pretty large.

I hate it when I forget my money pouches for the day.  Then I have to stuff all the money in my pockets and try to remember which pocket was for what machine and by the end of the day I'm long out of pockets, looking like a stripper after a good night, and just have to leave the cash in the machine until  my next trip. This is okay for the slower machines but my high volume ones would max out those $300 bill boxes. What I can't figure out is why anybody would need a $500 bill box.  If you ever hit the $300 mark the machine really is way overdue for serving, meaning the hot sellers are long gone and my machines all tend to be pretty large.

The image of you with money bulging out of your pockets is hilarious. I've had to do that before. I'll put the cash in the coin box, but then you have a coin bill sandwich next time. (What's up with me and sandwiches today...)

Yes!

I happen to be home eating a subway foot long, when my vending buddy from Lafayette drove up to drop off a coin mech, I needed and gave him 1/2 the sub. because he was starving as he called it!  To busy to stop to get some thing to eat!

To many food places around me for me to go hungry!

Yeah, I started budgeting $5-$10/day to eat from food trucks as a backup to bringing food.

This was hilaroius lol.  I CURRENTLY put money in my pockets BUT I count the money in my vehicle.  Yes, I count the bills AND the change by hand.  I separate the nickels, dimes, quarters, and the bills, and put them all in their respective bags.  I used to stock up on coins for weeks at a time but now I have to deposit my zip-lock bag at LEAST once a week and that's $200 in quarters.  It takes a little more time but I keep good records of my revenue.

I have had days like everyone is talking about but I have gotten better over time.  Funny story.... I had been a vendor for about 2 years (as an employee) and NEVER lost my keys.  Finally, I locked my keys in a machine!  How?  The weird thing is that I had a routine of putting my keys back on my belt rung as soon as I unlocked a machine... but this particular machine had a remote lock (tri-tek probably) and you had to open ONE machine to get to the remote KEY that was hidden in THAT machine to unlock the glassfront with the remote LOCK.  For some reason, I "traded" my keys for the remote KEY.  Mind you, when you push against the door with the remote lock, it locks automatically.  What happens?  I get distracted by a customer and push on the door so I can help them out (and so other people could use it) and I hear the locking mechanism going at it.... oh sh*t!  There was nothing I could do at that point.  It was the farthest account from the shop.

A couple of weeks later, I locked my keys in a completely different machine.  Again, I don't know how but it happened.  Talk about embarrassing!

Since being in business for myself, I have never locked my keys in a machine... nor have I lost any utility knives... nor have I forgotten any sammiches.... nor have I shared any sammiches because well.. .that's my sammich and not yours.  But I have done silly things like turn off the power to an AP 7600 (to change out a validator) and FORGET to turn the power back on.  I mean.. the display looks black all the time!  This was in a location with lots of lighting though so I didn't even have a bulb in there.  That was the kind of service call you don't want lol.  I also left my bag of money on top of one of my spirals in a candy selection once... that was a fluke incident but I realized it before anyone else did and went back inside and got the money!  Lol.

Bad day for me is forgetting my phone or keys..

A very good habit to get in is after shutting the door on the vendor take a quarter, dime and nickel and insert it in the machine. Hit the coin return and you should get them back.

Doing this will make sure everything is working. No wires blocking the coin slot..... All payouts on coin mech working.... Changer full (can hear the coins go to coin box) no coin jam..... Display works...... Inserting a Bill and then a coin to go past the highest price will also tell you there isn't a jam in the coin mech's return.

Only takes a few seconds but will save you heartaches later... 

Bad day for me is forgetting my phone or keys..

A very good habit to get in is after shutting the door on the vendor take a quarter, dime and nickel and insert it in the machine. Hit the coin return and you should get them back.

Doing this will make sure everything is working. No wires blocking the coin slot..... All payouts on coin mech working.... Changer full (can hear the coins go to coin box) no coin jam..... Display works...... Inserting a Bill and then a coin to go past the highest price will also tell you there isn't a jam in the coin mech's return.

Only takes a few seconds but will save you heartaches later... 

As an add on to this I check one selection from each tray just to make sure the trays are locked in.  This won't work on the AP7600's as you don't get a price if you hit a selection button but it's a quick check for any newer machine.

Just last week I drove into the warehouse, got the guys going, got into my truck and drove to the first location and then realized my machine keys were sitting on the nightstand at home......GRRRRRR...... must be getting old or something... :rolleyes:

I thought that was what snicker and M&M boxes were for. Stop 1 M&M box, Stop 2 Payday box and so on

Then you put them in your candy crate and take them inside with you and it looks like boxes of candy not money bags.

If someone breaks into your truck he cant find your money bags and everyone else thinks your just carrying candy

My .02

Archived