Buy machines before or after getting a location

I would like to find a location or two for the summer for placing drink machines. However is it best to go ahead and buy machines first or wait until I find a location for the machines? I currently have 5 locations between bulk vending and full line vending and I actually found the locations first before buying the machines. What do you guys normally do?

J and T vending

I normally try to have machines waiting at home for a location, unless the machines I have just will not work and then I purchase what is needed.

I also try to stay away from bottles in cold drink machines, because of the shorter life span on bottles. Cans is ten months compare to just three for bottles.

I would like to find a location or two for the summer for placing drink machines. However is it best to go ahead and buy machines first or wait until I find a location for the machines? I currently have 5 locations between bulk vending and full line vending and I actually found the locations first before buying the machines. What do you guys normally do?

It really depends on the availability of machines in your neck of the woods.  If good machines are plentiful you can go for the location first but if they're scarce then you better pick them off when one becomes available.  Some areas have a glut of used equipment and other places you can't get them for love or money.  What you don't want to do is sign up a new location and make them wait two weeks or buy some crap you don't really want.  This why most of us have machines ready to go.

It really depends on the availability of machines in your neck of the woods.  If good machines are plentiful you can go for the location first but if they're scarce then you better pick them off when one becomes available.  Some areas have a glut of used equipment and other places you can't get them for love or money.  What you don't want to do is sign up a new location and make them wait two weeks or buy some crap you don't really want.  This why most of us have machines ready to go.

I've had a Royal Merlin IV 768 sitting here for a year - it's my favorite model and I hardly ever see one available even here where we have used machines coming out of our ears.  I have a good location for it but they won't be ready for a few more months.

I have always tried to have machines ready, hard to do sometimes, especially when you are starting out.

One thing I used to do was get a signed agreement and get them to sign a kick out letter addressed to the current vendor giving him a 30 day notice. That way I USUALLY had 30 days to find a machine to put in. The reason I said "usually" is that sometimes the guy getting booted would have a hissy fit and come pull his machine in the next couple of days which really got my  knickers wadded up into a wedgie formation as I scrambled to find a machine or two. It's those times that I usually wound up making really bad purchasing decisions in that I paid way to much or bought equipment not up to the task.

Try to have atleast 2 to 3 fully working snack and drink machines ready to go. Then get out there and claim your garage! Look on cl for deals and when you see on go grab it! Good luck

Thanks guys.....I will search for machines 1st before finding locations. The only reason why I was able to find location 1st for my current drink and snacks location was because I knew the principal at the private school where they are located and he gave me some time to find machines.

Archived