Help me diagnose this Soda Machine

Hi everyone, so I have a Dixie Narco machine that is giving me a hard time and wanted to see if you could help me figure out the problem. It’s a SIID equipped machine, I think it’s a 276 non E model (should have checked for sure). Anyway, the last 4 services when I open the door, I can hear one of the motors running, and then a can will fall out of the chute. One of the employees this last time said that it will take money but then say “make another selection”. I have tried and tried to recreate the problem so that I can try and figure out what is going on. I think that somehow the door switch is doing something that is allowing the last vend to finish on whatever selection gets caught, but I have no idea how or why that’s happening. One more thing is that it’s not always the same selection that this is happening to. Thanks in advance for your replies.

I was thinking it's just a bad motor switch until you said it's happening to more than one selection.  It could still be motor switches.  I've found that the single switches on DN motors fail more frequently than the double or triple switches on older models.  I think it's because the single switches are at the logic level and have only low voltage flowing through them.  Because of this corrosion in the switches can create so much resistance to the low voltage that the board then doesn't see the switch.  If you can narrow this down to only 2 or 3 selections then I would simply replace those switches.  If instead, this happens to every selection then you need to inspect the sold out switch wiring where it exits the motor cover for any damaged wires and also the the intermediate harness connection that those wires go through in the bottom of the door and lastly, the sold out harness plug on the logic board.  On the board, pull the connector off and reseat it a couple of times to remove any corrosion and to ensure it's fully seated.

I think you're likely to find this problem on only a couple of motors and you will need to then replace those switches.

yes its 2 selections that are the problems, the machine worked great for close to a year, then boom validator, then now this intermittent thing. I wish stuff would just simply break instead of the work this time but 50 vends later there be a problem  ;D. It sort of gives the machine a bad reputation, then people get scared to put money in. I will try the motor switch idea, thanks a bunch. 

If is a very early SIID there was a problem with the wiring harness insulation being damaged motor cover on the left side the sharp edge of the cover cuts into the wire and grounds the wire to the frame.

Put electrical tape over the edge and wrap and damaged wires.

If the computer tries to run a motor and does not see the switch open and close within its time limit that selection will be locked out until the door is opened then the computer will try running the motor again.

Often you will see error messages like JC5 Jammed Column #5.

Walta  

I was thinking it's just a bad motor switch until you said it's happening to more than one selection.  It could still be motor switches.  I've found that the single switches on DN motors fail more frequently than the double or triple switches on older models.  I think it's because the single switches are at the logic level and have only low voltage flowing through them.  Because of this corrosion in the switches can create so much resistance to the low voltage that the board then doesn't see the switch.  If you can narrow this down to only 2 or 3 selections then I would simply replace those switches.  If instead, this happens to every selection then you need to inspect the sold out switch wiring where it exits the motor cover for any damaged wires and also the the intermediate harness connection that those wires go through in the bottom of the door and lastly, the sold out harness plug on the logic board.  On the board, pull the connector off and reseat it a couple of times to remove any corrosion and to ensure it's fully seated.

I think you're likely to find this problem on only a couple of motors and you will need to then replace those switches.

I think AZ hit it on the head, The same thing use to happen to the old telephone switching equipment. We use to have to use an emery board (Like the ones girls use) and clean the contacts in switching equipment because every time the contacts close at low voltage there is a small spark and over time the carbon from the spark builds up on the contacts until they dont make contact anymore.

Use an emery board on the contacts with just a few light strokes to knock the carbon off. Remember you are not sanding them down or you will ruin the contacts.

Archived