Replacing string on Toy Soldiers Crane?

brmorr

Ok, had a string break on me in my Toy Soldiers crane. I know how to get the string off the pulley in the gantry, but how does it release from the top of the claw?? I took out the two set screws in the head where the string goes into, but it still does not budge or move. Looks like another gold piece inside that holding it in?? Do I just need to yank the crap out of it???

Let me know!!!

Thanks!!!

did it break in middle or something? i  mean normally it breaks right by claw and i just re tie it to claw and move on.. I never replace entire string unless its too short to reach bottom of playfield then it needs replaced, which is not very often.

the pulley has 2 holes that are straight through outside wheel rim ears of pulley,, get a small L allen wrench  that will fit through those holes.. get string and cig lighter and light up end of new string(so it doesnt fray) and melt it and then pinch goo of nylon string onto L allen wrench small enough to go through holes on pulley, thread it through and then grab end and tie a big know on outside of pulley wheel so it cant pull back through holes..

now hook string in middle of wheel rim and then thread it through its motions(down on swing arm pulley,back over top pulley, back down through metal tube) then tie  it to claw lid on solenoid and reattach claw lid to claw..

turn crane off and on and let it wind it up and your in business,

Total time for first time= hour or so and much cussing and doing over a couple times cause you got knot on inside of pulley rim instead of outside and it tangles string, or you have string on outside of gantry rods and it already tied it to claw before you realized etc.

Total time after reading this and maybe some experience doing it a few times=5 minutes tops

Yeah, the string I have broke right in the middle of the string. I got the whole routing of the string down, its just when it comes to the claw itself, it goes in that middle post and into the claw. The claw I have is a #5(bought brand new a few months ago) and it is riveted on the other side of that lid. There is no way to get the string out of the top of that claw lid.

Are you saying I should just tie the string to the claw lid?

Here is a example of what my claw top looks like:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Replacement-Small-Skill-Crane-Machine-Claw-Pickup-Assembly-/330862746434?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d08f4db42

That isn't my claw, but it has that same knob on the top with a couple of set screws in it. I removed both of those set screws on the claw and the string did not budge.

yes there are two phillips screws in that claw cap,, you take entire cap off like if you was gonna take solenoid out,, the string threads through that little rod sticking out of top and you tie a knot on other side so it doesn't pull through..when you take lid off you will see how the had a knot on string as it will be inside of claw lid

yes there are two phillips screws in that claw cap,, you take entire cap off like if you was gonna take solenoid out,, the string threads through that little rod sticking out of top and you tie a knot on other side so it doesn't pull through..when you take lid off you will see how the had a knot on string as it will be inside of claw lid

Actually when I pull the claw cap off, on the bottom side there is a rivet and you can not even see the string inside the cap. You do not feed the string through that post and the cap.... Guess I will look again when I go out there in a couple days to replace the string I had to order....

I wish it was just as easy to just tie a knot!!!!

Ok, went out there today and took care of the string issue. Just wanted to update this thread so other people have the info too. There are a couple of different ways to put the string in. The new strings from Coastal come with a gold little end on the one side of the string. You are suppose to put these in the top of the claw and use two set screws to smash this metal end and keep the string in the top of the claw. I tried that a couple of times and could not get the set screws tight enough to hold the string in there. What I eventually did was what ronsidney said was feed the string through the top into the cap and tie a knot. I then melted the knot a little bit to keep it from pulling apart.

Archived