heat

TKK

So today it hot 108 :(

I went to sams and holy crap the box truck was hot inside. Im working on ac in it, i bought a 6500btu window ac which will be vented to the roof and using a 800 watt inverter. Anyways this sucks, i noticed 2 or 3 cokes were popped from falling usually they are pretty strong. My question is what can be left inside the box? Chips? Heres a list of my common items....

Lss fiesta mix

Lss flaming

Doritos

Lays

Etc

Grandmas cchip

knotts

Famous

Mm cookies

Oreos

Nutty bars

Snickers

Pmms

Bugles

Rice krispies

Trail mix

Mexican peanuts

Chocolate cup cakes

Tx cinamon

Honey buns

Crunch donuts

Mexican candy

cornuts

fruit gummies

cheese and peanut butter crackers

cereal bars

Sodas, waters, monsters, ppwerades...

I noticed chocolates were soft and the gummies too

Do any of these go bad once heated? I know maybe they lose their shape...but will they b bad after? And do cokes and monsters go bad?

well, intense heat can affect just about anything.

from glazes to coatings. can shorter the foods life also.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

K guys so i bought a 2000/4000 watt inverter.

And upgraded to an 8100 btu lg.

My question is this, i wanna build a box around the rear of the ac and the top with a hose going to the roof as a vent. Now do i make the box before The top and side vents of the ac unit or just in the rear where the hot air comes out? If u install in a window the side and top vents (where u can see the compressor and fan) and the rear sticks outside. So do i ezpose the side and top vents and build the box strictly for the rear part with hot air, or do i build it close to rhe feont so all side and top and rear vents exhaust? I dont wanna cut a big a$$ hole on the side or on the wind deflector area as it would look like crap

The roof is extremely hot at day. Its aluminum or metal. Can i spray insulation foam?

Anyone have pics of what they use? The coleman too units are like 700 but i dont want mdy truck 10.5 ft tall as it wouldnt fit warehouses w 10ft doors

nothing like a load of soda on a 120 degree day.

hit a speed bump and most of them blew, sounded like the 4th of july.

had to wash off the ones that didn't blow. fun day.

did it with a load of beer once too, not a fun day...

nothing like a load of soda on a 120 degree day.

hit a speed bump and most of them blew, sounded like the 4th of july.

had to wash off the ones that didn't blow. fun day.

did it with a load of beer once too, not a fun day...

You're supposed to go over those speed bumps at a low rate of speed.

Welcome to the forums.

Speaking from my experience, your chip bags will get oily the longer they are hot and they will blow up a little more, the soda cans will get pressurized so they are like tissue paper.  The garage is better than in a vehicle but still not as good as in an air conditioned space. 

If you are in the Phoenix metro area you can call on me for service and parts.  You can send me a PM for my information.

I bought a used 11000 btu lg portable ac made a 5 inch hole on the floor, had to buy the 3000/6000 watt inverter. And works like a charm. It was 106 today and had it on. For 2 hours it was at 68 felt great going in the box. Even cans were chilled. Love it. Just remove ur stuff that melts when not in use..

• 3 weeks later...

Ok so an update that last post didnt work after a while :(

I have a 3000/6000 watt inverter connected to the bottom diesel box trucks battery. Works great. However after trying 6 diferent damn portable ac's the only one that stays on the longest is the smallest one i could find. An lg 8000 btu one. Its 880 watts. It stays on for about 10 minutes and then the inverter rings. The gauge shows the inverter is only using 1/3 of the power but i think the problem is the inverter might not be getting the power it needs. Im getting tired of this. I just insulated the roof as the metal was hot as hell about 150 degrees and ima paint the roof white too. Does anyone know what i can do to give the inverter more juice? The diesel is a 7.3l powerstroke w 2 batteries. If i put the ac on fan mode it literally doesnt even register power being used i guess a fan uses nothing. Some people say to buy some 6volt batteries and somehow hook them up to my existing 2 so the alternator charges them, some say they sell solar pannels? If i cant find a quick solution, i am going to just cut a big golpher hole on the fiberglass division behind the seats mount a big fan facing the box, get a small inverter and turn on my ac full blast and the fan so it exhausts the cocpits ac into the box. I dont want a generator as thats too loud and too much to mount it. I dont want to buy a 5000 btu window ac and have it sticking out of the side of the box. So please if you know about this stuff help me out guys. Id love to get the portable ac going without harming my batteries, plug it in w extension chord during the day or night and have it running while servicing...

TKK, the problem with anything that heats or cools and a power inverter is not wattage but amperage. The draw of a heating element and a compressor is greater than the inverter can handle. I don't know if they make an inverter that will handle that kind of draw for any length of time. 

Here is a place you may look for answers. 

And check out this blog

Wattage is voltage times amps or W=V x A. Inverter is a big drain on the battery. I know people tho that have freezers in the truck and will plug them in at night and will have a timer on the inverter to allow it to operate during short periods. A freezer will use less energy than a AC unit..When a AC units starts it will require more amps when starting than it does running. Usually this is what LRA means on the plate. It stands for Lock rotor amps and this is what it takes to start the compressor. Wattage is what it consumes in power while running. A generator or inverter has to able to provide the LRA to run.

The best thing to do is to stop going the cheap way and putting a proper reefer on the front of the box, though this won't solve your issue at night.  There are some that use the compressor from the cab AC to run the reefer so you don't need a diesel engine in the reefer.  This is what we used on our trucks and it allowed us to leave the engine idling while we were in our stops to keep the box cool.  This worked very well and an idling diesel engine uses practically no fuel.  At night you can run an extension cord to whatever refrigerator or freezer you have on the truck.

We used units from Tempcon  and ATC Refers.  Bite the bullet, you'll love it.

Ah whatever i guess im just gonna cut a hole w a 20inh box fan pump up the ac leave it on and that should vool the damn rear. Leave the portable ac and buy a big golpher extension chord so when i get to places i can just plug it in and help it cool. Too bad i dont have the receipt to harbor freight damn thing was 400 plus 40 for cables

And az you can be conservative in what you choose to spend for your business. I could had gotten brand new machines, brand new trucks, and be in dept. I cut corners alot used redurbed and used equipment. Fortunately ive replaced it all with newer stuff either dual coil w sensors or multiprice. I have 0 dept just expenses. No loans. There is also a variable in what your willing to pay for something, like if i landed a call center needing 8 machines maybe i would buy new at 3 or 4 k a piece. Like the ac in my box truck i dont need it to be 40 degrees in there just cooler and im trying diferent ways, and im very close, ill post pics and all for others who may later look into it. Yes, going to a diesel place and spending 3k on a cooling unit done right is easier but my box truck was 3600 lol. I dont wanna say im cheap just try to do things without paying full price. Its what has worked for me. Im actually not cheap at all i spend a ton on my business and on traveling, entertainment etc. Dont use coupons and stuff either lol

Archived