Locating Success Rate

dromero

Hi,

For the first time yesterday I went to a location but the owner wasnt there so I called later and talked about the putting a candy vending machine but he rejected right away. This is my first time trying locating and it was a failure.

What is your success ratio when locating? out of 10 places you ask how many allow you to put it in?

On these two scenarios when you meet personally and by phone.

Hi,

For the first time yesterday I went to a location but the owner wasnt there so I called later and talked about the putting a candy vending machine but he rejected right away. This is my first time trying locating and it was a failure.

What is your success ratio when locating? out of 10 places you ask how many allow you to put it in?

On these two scenarios when you meet personally and by phone.

Not sure what type of vending you are doing but I would think cold calling would have a low success rate. If doing charity I would locate in person and carry in the machine with me.

Not sure what type of vending you are doing but I would think cold calling would have a low success rate. If doing charity I would locate in person and carry in the machine with me.

Doing candy vending, it is just that the business owner just came back to the store, so I would have had to go 20 times there to see if i met him luckily, So i decided to call instead and that was what happned :(

2 "Yes" for every 100 cold calls is a normal success rate in my experience. Something to keep in mind is that some of those "No's" can be converted to a secured location IF you visit those "No's" in person.

Bulk vending is not on the minds of many business owners. Just by cold calling them and bringing it up, you have placed the idea in their head. I would stop by within a couple weeks of calling and try to get a "Yes". I have had some success using this method. Good luck!

I haven't had that low of a percentage unless it's a tough area, but I also pull from places that are more likely to answer yes, but in person is always preferred. 

I'm about 10-15% or better on phone, more in person. BUT, I think I limit my possibilities because of experience.

It's good to find out who is in charge and what time is best to catch them by phone, if they answer, find out what time is best for them to be there. that helps because your showing them that their time is important to them and you respect that.

Also, Havending is right, take it in with you. It helps.

Have confidence ! Some days the bear gets you, and some days you get the bear. No 2 days are the same. Have a positive attitude, look cheerful & upbeat, read tips on locating (many on this forum) and you will do fine.

Finally! A thread I'm able to give advice on! 

I have a 25% success rate. What I do is I keep a fully loaded machine in the car, then I go up into a retail complex and ask every store in the place if they want a machine. They're going to cut you off after the first sentence whether or not they want it, so make sure you mention it's a gum ball machine that benefits charity. 

You won't spend more than 20 seconds in the stores that say no, but if they ask you  a question and you walk out without placing a machine, reevaluate your sales approach. From my experience if they express the least bit of interest in the machine, you have a yes until you say something to screw it up.

Last time I went locating I placed them all in 30 minutes. I was trained by the head sales rep at my dads calibration company, so I consider this to be an area I'm strong in.

Always look them in the eye, always say their first name as many times as possible, smile, when they have a concern validate it before you address it. 

Example "Bill I understand you've had problems in the past with ants in the machines, this can be a real problem with candy, but not as much with just gum balls. That's part of the reason I do just gum balls is because I don't want ants either. If anything were to go wrong with this machine, my number is on the back of it and I can solve the problem the same day you call me."

That was the line that got me my first machine, and that was the second place I walked into. 

Always look them in the eye, always say their first name as many times as possible, smile, when they have a concern validate it before you address it.

Example "Bill I understand you've had problems in the past with ants in the machines, this can be a real problem with candy, but not as much with just gum balls. That's part of the reason I do just gum balls is because I don't want ants either. If anything were to go wrong with this machine, my number is on the back of it and I can solve the problem the same day you call me."

That was the line that got me my first machine, and that was the second place I walked into.

How do you get his first name? Asking it seems like it would be pointless and a waste of time.

In your example you didnt solve the problem, you just said 'not as much' which means its less of a problem but still a problem.

A better solution might be "Bill I understand you've had problems in the past with ants in the machines, this can be a real problem with candy, but not with gumballs" Then add - "plus our machine stand contains a special coating strip preventing ants". (problem solved)

How do you get his first name? Asking it seems like it would be pointless and a waste of time.

In your example you didnt solve the problem, you just said 'not as much' which means its less of a problem but still a problem.

A better solution might be "Bill I understand you've had problems in the past with ants in the machines, this can be a real problem with candy, but not with gumballs" Then add - "plus our machine stand contains a special coating strip preventing ants". (problem solved)

Well the issue for me, is if I said that I'd be lying. If I told him I had a special coating strip that prevented ants, or my machines are ant proof in any way, I'd be lying. Then on the off chance he did get ants, I'd be up a creek without a paddle. 

One thing to remember in sales is, under promise over deliver. I live by that. Also, personally if I were buying something and every problem I suggested was 100% not a problem because the salesman has already thought of a perfect solution, my liar detector would be blaring through the roof. 

And it's never pointless to stick your hand out there for a hand shake and say "I'm Josh by the way", then he will shake your hand and say "I'm Bill". 

The thing about sales is, it's 90% getting the customer to like you. Educating them about a product and hoping your awesome product will stand on its own is probably the worst sales technique there is. If the customer likes the salesman he was WAY more likely to buy the product.  If I walked into a pizza place and I started by saying that I've had the pizza and hated it, I will bet $100 no matter what I do I will hit the brick wall of being interrupted with the word "no".

If I walk into a pizza place and start by mentioning how much I like the guys pizza, I'm setting myself up for a "yes".

If you say a persons first name, every time you say it, it registers with them as respect. It's one of the easiest and most used psychological tricks in sales.

Well the issue for me, is if I said that I'd be lying. If I told him I had a special coating strip that prevented ants, or my machines are ant proof in any way, I'd be lying. Then on the off chance he did get ants, I'd be up a creek without a paddle.

I didnt mean lie, most vendors put a but Vaseline or Crisco strip on the stand and it prevent ants.

I didnt mean lie, most vendors put a but Vaseline or Crisco strip on the stand and it prevent ants.

And now I just added Crisco strip to my grocery list. I've been selling things for a long time, but I think your knowledge on the actual machine trumps mine.

I've used crisco for 12 years. Use it once, a thin coat around the stand right where the machine meets the pole, about 2" rub it in till clear and done. wipe off excess.

I've never had issues.

oh, i was thinking you leave a good amount on, cause ive been told put a good amount on with vaseline (or maybe i just interpreted it that way)

It only takes a lil bit. just smear it on thin till clear. It works right away, after awhile it gets sticky too. I'm not sure about the Vaseline 

Archived