National 167D snack machine

I have a strange situation with this machine. It began with selections "D-0" and "D-1" not working. It would read "Make another selection" each time either selection was made. I checked the harness and motors and they seemed OK. I swapped the "D" shelf with the "E" shelf and the problem remained in the same position. The "D" selections worked fine in the "E" position. I assumed it was the tray board. I returned the shelves to original positions. I installed a new tray board for the "D" tray. That fixed the problems with the "D-0 & D-1" . But now the "E-0 & E-1" do not work. I replaced the tray board for the "E" tray which fixed that shelf but once again my "D-0 & D-1" went out of order. I tried calling Crane but after 15 on hold I was put into a voice mail and have been waiting a call back since Friday morning. Anyone have any ideas?

It sounds like your snack interface board is on the fritz.  You might find that the problems with 0 and 1 selections begins to randomly occur on other shelves as well but because it is popping up between two shelves now I would try replacing the interface board and see if that fixes it.

Thanks Randy. Do you think that the original tray boards might still be good? I have traded out 4 of them and would hate to throw them away if they would still be good.

Yes, the tray boards are probably fine since they are working on and off.  They will only transfer signals that the snack interface sends to them and the tray boards will either work or not work.  I think if the culprit is the snack interface board that all the tray boards will then be fine.  If the interface board was to damage a tray board then that tray board or selections on it would not work anymore.  I think the tray boards are primarily diodes to ensure the voltages go in the correct directions. 

The shelf harnesses are common failure item for this machine.

Often if you wiggle the wire it will temporarily start working again.

Some of software versions will not re enable jammed motors until that motor cycles in the motor test mode.

Sometimes it is necessary to perform a ram clear to restore operation.

In my experience tray boards rarely are the problem and when they are it is mostly bad solder connections.

Walta

Got my call from Crane Tech support today. Bob told me that it would not be the board but rather the shelf harness not the tray harness but the master harness that connects to the control board. I am not sure I am buying that story though.

Archived