Mars 2511 bill validator

bobo

I have an old Dixie-Narco 276 Pepsi vending machine.  Got it pretty much restored and everything is working great - except one thing.  The bill validator (Mars 2511) did not work and the "power" LED was not on, but when I pushed the coupon mode button the light would come on.  I checked continuity of the harness wires and all seemed OK, but wouldn't work.  I was about to get a replacement validator, but first fiddled with it a bit more.  When I pulled the bill path out to clean it, I snapped it back in and it powered up and worked great for a few days.  Then it quit working again.   :(

So what I'm interested in knowing from someone experienced with this setup is, do I likely just need to replace this as a failing unit or may there be something simple I could try if this sounds like a familiar issue to someone?

Appreciate any good thoughts on this.

Thanks!

I have an old Dixie-Narco 276 Pepsi vending machine.  Got it pretty much restored and everything is working great - except one thing.  The bill validator (Mars 2511) did not work and the "power" LED was not on, but when I pushed the coupon mode button the light would come on.  I checked continuity of the harness wires and all seemed OK, but wouldn't work.  I was about to get a replacement validator, but first fiddled with it a bit more.  When I pulled the bill path out to clean it, I snapped it back in and it powered up and worked great for a few days.  Then it quit working again.   :(

So what I'm interested in knowing from someone experienced with this setup is, do I likely just need to replace this as a failing unit or may there be something simple I could try if this sounds like a familiar issue to someone?

Appreciate any good thoughts on this.

Thanks!

The VN2511 is a great validator.  I have about twenty of them working right now but I have had to replace them about every four years - sounds like it's time to swap this one out (not worth the headache otherwise).  PM Azvendor - he can swap out yours for a refurbished one.  Stick with the same model.

Pull the lower housing out again and using a soft cloth, wipe the sensors in the lower housing and the opposing sensors in the upper fixed housing.  If that doesn't solve your problem then it's time for a rebuild. 

As Chris mentioned, you can PM me for a replacement unit via exchange if you need one.

Pull the lower housing out again and using a soft cloth, wipe the sensors in the lower housing and the opposing sensors in the upper fixed housing.  If that doesn't solve your problem then it's time for a rebuild. 

As Chris mentioned, you can PM me for a replacement unit via exchange if you need one.

I've been called a lot of things ..... but never Chris  ;D

Most likely it needs to have a capacitor replaced

If you are not familiar with this type of repair send it off to a rebuilder.

Walta

What I do with mine before I send them in for repair is to take a toothbrush and toothpaste (non abrasive) and clean everything I can reach.  Then I stick it in my dishwasher for a complete cycle. When done I blow it out with air and hang up somewhere it can get plenty of air for about a week and then see if it works. 98% of the time they start working again.  Plus, if you do send them in for repair you know for sure you are getting a clean unit back.

What I do with mine before I send them in for repair is to take a toothbrush and toothpaste (non abrasive) and clean everything I can reach. Then I stick it in my dishwasher for a complete cycle. When done I blow it out with air and hang up somewhere it can get plenty of air for about a week and then see if it works. 98% of the time they start working again. Plus, if you do send them in for repair you know for sure you are getting a clean unit back.

Whaaat? You aren't worried about some kind of potential water damage? I guess you don't have much to lose and leaving it to dry for a week should prevent problems but I would never stick an electronic in a dishwasher.

Its definitely the 470uF 35 volt capacitor on the main board. If you have any soldering experience, you can replace it yourself. They're really cheap. I sell then for $2.95. If you buy them in quantity oine, you can get them for 30 cents each. Its a common problem on any MEI 2000 110 volt validator. That cap just needs replaced every few years. There are lots of others here tyarcps fix it easy for you. We charge $39 plus parts for a repair.

Its definitely the 470uF 35 volt capacitor on the main board. If you have any soldering experience, you can replace it yourself. They're really cheap. I sell then for $2.95. If you buy them in quantity oine, you can get them for 30 cents each. Its a common problem on any MEI 2000 110 volt validator. That cap just needs replaced every few years. There are lots of others here tyarcps fix it easy for you. We charge $39 plus parts for a repair.

That is good to know...... I have several that I have set aside that sound like they want to run and sometimes after sitting on the tester will take off and run after about 15 minutes, I will have to try this....

I wash coin mechs and then put them in a single door cooler for a few days with the compressor turned off. The fan will run and heat the inside up to over 100 degrees and dry them out.

What I do with mine before I send them in for repair is to take a toothbrush and toothpaste (non abrasive) and clean everything I can reach.  Then I stick it in my dishwasher for a complete cycle. When done I blow it out with air and hang up somewhere it can get plenty of air for about a week and then see if it works. 98% of the time they start working again.  Plus, if you do send them in for repair you know for sure you are getting a clean unit back.

Well, it made my toothbrush taste funny and my dishes smelled like money, but I think it still needs a rebuild.  :)

Yes it does make your toothbrush taste funny... ;D

But, I have fixed many of my non working units by doing what I explained earlier.

A good vendor will also blow them out with air occasionally on location.  I purchased an electric blower from Happ controls that sounds like a jet plane when turned on but it is as powerful as canned air and I don't have to replace it all the time and it works great for blowing out compressor condensers.

• 3 weeks later...

OK here's the closure for this, I believe.  Got the validator rebuilt by AZVendor and it's working like new again.  

I bought this unit off Craig's List for $200.00.  The seller said it cooled great but the changer was bad, but he had an extra to go with it. I had to lube the circulating fan to get it working again because it didn't cool. Turned out it needed freon as well, no big deal but kind of aggravating.  It was missing two vend motors, which I got used for real cheap on ebay.  Good experience, btw.  http://stores.ebay.com/vendingworld/   Once I did that the changer worked, which I suspected - but the bill acceptor wasn't working.  Also replaced the ballast and bulbs so the front lights up nice.  All in all, it's just about paid for itself already.  :) 

Appreciate all the help from everyone.

I'm glad you're machine is working well now.  Be aware that you can't successfully lubricate the fan motors in the soda machines.  They are internally lubricated when manufactured and external oil won't help much.  You will soon need to replace the motor.

I'm glad you're machine is working well now.  Be aware that you can't successfully lubricate the fan motors in the soda machines.  They are internally lubricated when manufactured and external oil won't help much.  You will soon need to replace the motor.

I wondered about that.  I'll keep an eye on it, thanks!

Archived