Thoughts on USI CB500 Drink Machine

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is a Drink Machine (Looks Like a USI CB500) that was just posted in my area on craigslist.  Looks very nice for a small to medium sized account.  Does anyone have any experience with this model.  Thoughts!!

attachicon.gifDrink Machine CB500.jpg

Have a number of them, pretty decent machines and unlike many USI machines this one does not weigh over 800 lbs.  ;D

If its in good shape and the price is reasonable I'd go for it.

So checked out machine and noticed everything is working as it should. Well since I was purchasing drinks to make sure everything worked, I noticed the drinks where cool and not cold. The compressor was running as it should. Any thoughts. Tried asking seller if mahine was just recently plugged in or refilled and he said he doesn't think so he has only been there for a week.

It would need to be plugged in for at least 2 hours for it to reach temperature.  If it's not cold then look for ice on the evaporator under the delivery chute.  That would be a sign of low freon.  It might also have the target temperature set wrong in the programming, but that is a long shot.  More than likely it's low on freon.

J&T, I operate some of the CB500s. From the factory mine came set at 34 degrees. In standby mode, with the door shut, press the "0" on the keypad. That will display the cabinet temperature. If it is not in the mid 30's, you may need Freon added after finding the leak. I recently pulled the compressor unit and had to have it serviced by a refrigeration company. Cost was $262. Maybe that will help you have an idea should it need repaired.

Also, make sure the machine is at lease 6 inches away from the back wall and that the coils are clean so that the fan can draw air over the compressor. That is a common problem that if not addressed can damage the unit.

Thanks CV i did notice that the machine was smacked up against the wall when I checked it out today. I hope it is something small if there really is a problem. Will keep everyone posted when I go back on Monday on what I find out.

I just did my evaluation on machine. Temp is set at 36 but machine is reading 65. Evaporator has no ice build up but has some brown sludge around it as if it may have a small leak. Placed a piece of paper against compressor and paper stuck To it. I told seller a tech would have to check it out. He says he didn't want to fool with it he just need it gone because it is taking up space. He agreed to drop price from $400 to $250 in order to cover cost of me having to have tech check it out. Overall, I think it may be low on freon.

That machine for $250 is a rippin' deal so pick it up.  The machine is most likely out of freon and you should have it recharged and then put on location.  You will know very quickly if there's a large leak as the machine will stop cooling within a couple of days otherwise, let it run.  If the gas again leaks out in less than 6 months the leak will be easy to find on the bench.  The longer it takes for the gas to leak out and the closer it gets to one year later, it will become impossible to find a leak that small.  In that case the system can be injected with UV dye and recharged again.  When the gas again leaks out down the road, there will be evidence from the UV dye indicating where the leak is.

So these machines hold cans and bottles.

I contacted the person in Houma,LA about the Wittern 3500 machine and it has my interest.

Maybe I could use machine, as it is outdoor rated.

I found this here from last year.

http://vendiscuss.net/index.php?/topic/15835-wittern-3500-soda-machine/

I guess I need to go and check out.

cajun

Thanks CV i did notice that the machine was smacked up against the wall when I checked it out today. I hope it is something small if there really is a problem. Will keep everyone posted when I go back on Monday on what I find out.

I wonder how long it's been running smacked against the wall - that's a potential compressor killer.

So these machines hold cans and bottles.

I contacted the person in Houma,LA about the Wittern 3500 machine and it has my interest.

Maybe I could use machine, as it is outdoor rated.

I found this here from last year.

http://vendiscuss.net/index.php?/topic/15835-wittern-3500-soda-machine/

I guess I need to go and check out.

cajun

To my knowledge, no wittern, usi, or fawn machine is outdoor rated. Maybe I'm wrong but please verify.

Archived