Upgrading Coin Mech

Hi all,

I have a Crane National 464 snack machine.  Currently it has a Mars TRC 6000 coin mech in it.  I want to upgrade it to something which will give back $1 coins for change since it will currently take $5's, but then my customers get back a hand full of quarters... Making it inconvient for them.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a coin mech that will basically plug and play.  I'm pretty sure something like a Mars VN4000 series with the 12 pin logic connection will work, but just wanted to see if anyone else can confirm that it will.

Any suggestions are certainly greatly appreciated.

The Mars VN4000 coin mech will be fine in your machine even though not everyone likes them.  While there have been better coin mechs made since that model was, you are limited in what you can use in this micromech application.  Coinco made some USQ mechs with dollar tubes in the micromech configuration but those mechs weren't the greatest either.

If you need a VN 4000 I have factory rebuilt units in stock for an exchange.  If you can't find one locally send me a PM and I can get one to you.

Hi all,

I have a Crane National 464 snack machine.  Currently it has a Mars TRC 6000 coin mech in it.  I want to upgrade it to something which will give back $1 coins for change since it will currently take $5's, but then my customers get back a hand full of quarters... Making it inconvient for them.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a coin mech that will basically plug and play.  I'm pretty sure something like a Mars VN4000 series with the 12 pin logic connection will work, but just wanted to see if anyone else can confirm that it will.

Any suggestions are certainly greatly appreciated.

Your machine is MDB compatible so you have a number of choices to consider.  I concur with orsd that the Mars 4000 is not the one I'd choose - had a couple and dumped them in favor of the Conlux 5 which has a variety of different tube cassettes so you could do dollar coins.  I went this route a couple of years back and experienced some major backlash as most people don't want the dollar coin and prefer a pocket full of quarters. Fortunately the Conlux units allowed me to switch the cassettes to accommodate more quarters for a small additional investment.  As you can imagine, this was an expensive venture and it really irked me that nobody wanted the dollar coins.  The TRC 6000 is one of the best coin mechs out there as far as I'm concerned - too bad it won't hold enough quarters to handle a five dollar bill validator.

Your machine is MDB compatible so you have a number of choices to consider. I concur with orsd that the Mars 4000 is not the one I'd choose - had a couple and dumped them in favor of the Conlux 5 which has a variety of different tube cassettes so you could do dollar coins. I went this route a couple of years back and experienced some major backlash as most people don't want the dollar coin and prefer a pocket full of quarters. Fortunately the Conlux units allowed me to switch the cassettes to accommodate more quarters for a small additional investment. As you can imagine, this was an expensive venture and it really irked me that nobody wanted the dollar coins. The TRC 6000 is one of the best coin mechs out there as far as I'm concerned - too bad it won't hold enough quarters to handle a five dollar bill validator.

It is an interesting experiment in psychology...I've got a few locations that absolutely love the dollar coins...and one that asked me to take them out. Go figure...

I have the Conlux 5 in one of my other machines at a different location.  Works like a champ.  Just looking for something on the fairly cheap to plug and play without having to redo all the harnesses for swap everything over to MDB.

I have not had anyone tell me one way or another at either place whether or not they care for the dollar coins or handful of quarters.  Also haven't had a problem with it ever running out of quarters yet.  I was just going to upgrade it for easier usage of getting 4 coins back instead of all the quarters.  Either way all those coins seem to end up right back in my machines anyways so all is good.

I have the Conlux 5 in one of my other machines at a different location.  Works like a champ.  Just looking for something on the fairly cheap to plug and play without having to redo all the harnesses for swap everything over to MDB.

I have not had anyone tell me one way or another at either place whether or not they care for the dollar coins or handful of quarters.  Also haven't had a problem with it ever running out of quarters yet.  I was just going to upgrade it for easier usage of getting 4 coins back instead of all the quarters.  Either way all those coins seem to end up right back in my machines anyways so all is good.

Sounds like you should stick with the TRC then - they're very reliable if you can keep enough quarters in them.  All those extra quarters are probably boosting your sales.

Archived