ff2000 cooling but the fan did a weird thing

loach33

At least I haven't noticed it before - doesn't seem to be right.

This is a satellite USI machine set up for refridgerated food.  So, it stays between 32 and 41 degrees.  At 39 degrees the compressor kicks on to cool and shuts off at 32.  (The right side of the display says 39 and 32)

So, this morning as I'm filling the snack I just happened to notice the compressor kick on.  Temp reading display said 39 on the right side and 35 on the left.  Normal.  But a couple seconds after it came on, the fan in the top of the machine stopped.  Hmm, I don't think that should happen.  I put a piece of paper down at the bottom to see if the paper would be pulled in.  Yes, it was pulling on it.

So, I let it go while keeping an eye on it.  About 5 minutes later the temp display said 32 and 39.  Cooling a little but not much.  Let it go more.  Probably 10-12 minutes in the display said 21 and 39.  Still no fan but cooling gradually.

A few minutes later I looked over and the fan had come on.  Now the display said 17 and 35.  So, sometime after the left side sensor said 21 the fan came on.  From there the machine cooled nice and quick as usual.

So, I'm wondering if I happened to catch a problem before it becomes serious or is this just something that normally happens sometimes......the fan shutting off for a while even while the compressor is trying to cool the machine?

At the beginning of each cooling cycle there is a time period when the evaporator fan will not run as the logic board waits for the evaporator to get down to a low temperature before it turns the fan on.  This seems counter-intuitive but it is to allow any moisture from frost or that might have condensed on the cold evaporator to drip off the fins before the fan comes on.  The supposed fan turn-on temperature of the left sensor is 30 degrees in a frozen machine so I don't know why the temperature had to go below that before the fan came on.  It could be that there is a certain length of time that the sensor must to detect the temp below 30 before the fan is turned on.  I know it seems weird but as long as your machine is holding the correct temperature and your machine is not going into a health error it is working properly.

Did you know that the two temperatures in your display are for two separate sensors?  The temperature displayed on the left is the evaporator temperature used primarily for defrost cycles and the one on the right is what the health control looks at.  The health sensor is  mounted about halfway up the back of the cabinet behind the air baffle.

Yeah I knew about the different sensors and I figured the fan was waiting for a certain temperature.  Was just an odd thing to see.  Probably because its getting pretty humid here - maybe there's more moisture on the evaporator.

Thanks

Archived