value of this deal

PandJ

dixie narco and vendnet advertised below.  Sellers says they are in good condition, she is upgrading to newer machines.  They are $200 each which seems to be screaming good deal.  Problem is they are 150 miles from me.  I would have to buy sight unseen and pay $1300 to move both.  So I am out $1700.  Is that still a good deal?  I don't want to attempt moving the beverage machine myself, but is weight of snack machine manageable for a rookie?  I could have a friend that lives in that area wiith a pickup, dolly and ramp get snack machine and store in his garage until I could get over there and get it.  Let me know your thoughts. Thanks for advice. 

http://billings.craigslist.org/bfs/4520390517.html

I am not a fan of the bottle drop machines but for 200 I'd take it and the snack too. The price you were mentioning for moving the machines is crazy. You can rent a small box truck with a liftgate either one way or round trip and buy a good dolly and do it yourself for less.

Even 1700 total for both, while on the high side, would not be unreasonable if the machines are 100% working and location ready.

dixie narco and vendnet advertised below.  Sellers says they are in good condition, she is upgrading to newer machines.  They are $200 each which seems to be screaming good deal.  Problem is they are 150 miles from me.  I would have to buy sight unseen and pay $1300 to move both.  So I am out $1700.  Is that still a good deal?  I don't want to attempt moving the beverage machine myself, but is weight of snack machine manageable for a rookie?  I could have a friend that lives in that area wiith a pickup, dolly and ramp get snack machine and store in his garage until I could get over there and get it.  Let me know your thoughts. Thanks for advice. 

http://billings.craigslist.org/bfs/4520390517.html

You'll find that the snack machine will move much easier if you pull out the trays first - they can weigh as much as 35 lbs each.  The soda machine is a different animal.  As I recall, you're in Saskatchewan so I'm not sure of the availability of lift gate trucks - no way you'd want to consider the ramp.  And bring a friend - preferable the biggest one you've got  ;D

I think my costs are adjusted to:

$320 truck rental w/ lift gate (6.5 ft clearance on height of door, that should be enough right?)

$50 purchase dolly

$100 gas (personal car both ways, truck one way)

$400 purchase

and if I cant do it when my son can take off work, $100 to pay a friend to drive car home and help me manhandle these

$900  total.  I'm kinda scared, but going to go for it.  My son says 15 people die each year from vending machines.  

Great deal, but kinda old...however 150 miles is nothing. Rent a penske an go get em u wont spend more than 300

Are Penske trucks available with a liftgate?  I checked out there website & they only seem to come with a rear roller doors. I wouldn't try moving a drink machine that weighs 720lbs without a liftgate.

They are one of the easiest drink machine to move if you have the right equipment as you can fit a pallet jack under them & still have enough stability when moving on & off a truck.

You could move them laying down but you would suggest you remove the trays & the refrigeration deck first.

Are Penske trucks available with a liftgate?  I checked out there website & they only seem to come with a rear roller doors. I wouldn't try moving a drink machine that weighs 720lbs without a liftgate.

They are one of the easiest drink machine to move if you have the right equipment as you can fit a pallet jack under them & still have enough stability when moving on & off a truck.

You could move them laying down but you would suggest you remove the trays & the refrigeration deck first.

I see them around town with the lift gates but their website never advertises them.  If the movers are that expensive up there, P and J will need to invest in a small drop ramp trailer with a Dutro dolly and a come- along winch to get his machines up the ramp.

I think my costs are adjusted to:

$320 truck rental w/ lift gate (6.5 ft clearance on height of door, that should be enough right?)

$50 purchase dolly

$100 gas (personal car both ways, truck one way)

$400 purchase

and if I cant do it when my son can take off work, $100 to pay a friend to drive car home and help me manhandle these

$900  total.  I'm kinda scared, but going to go for it.  My son says 15 people die each year from vending machines.  

50 bucks won't get you a decent dolly. Given the cost of moving services up there you'll need to get yourself a good dolly ($200 and up) Dutros are the best but they start at $600 - maybe you can spot a good used one for sale.

Thanks all for the fast responses.  ORSD, I was joking about worried about being crushed, more worried about destroying equipment.  Dolly is my hang up right now, I have truck with lift gate rental (budget).  I can't find a dolly big enough local to rent or buy that has the extra wheels.  I have yet to hear back from seller anyhow, so I may have missed my chance at these.   

I can't find a dolly big enough local to rent or buy that has the extra wheels.  I have yet to hear back from seller anyhow, so I may have missed my chance at these.   

Can you rent or borrow a pallet jack?

That's all you would need for this particular move as the truck you are using has a taillift.. I would add that you do need a lift with enough working space to make it safe. I always lower the machine onto the taillift during the lifting process to prevent it from rolling off! You also want to use a taillift that has a smooth lifting operation. 

Pretty sure that soda machine is an ECC, not a BevMax ( 5591 ) which is a whole 'nother animal. ECCs are problematic. $200 might be worth it, if everything is working well. But be prepared to have problems with it.

My son says 15 people die each year from vending machines.  

Your Son is right. More people are killed every year by vending machines than by sharks. Vending machines just have better PR, so everyone's scared of the sharks.

Thanks all for the fast responses. ORSD, I was joking about worried about being crushed, more worried about destroying equipment. Dolly is my hang up right now, I have truck with lift gate rental (budget). I can't find a dolly big enough local to rent or buy that has the extra wheels. I have yet to hear back from seller anyhow, so I may have missed my chance at these.

If the thing gets out of control just let it go- machines can be replaced but you can't

Pretty sure that soda machine is an ECC, not a BevMax ( 5591 ) which is a whole 'nother animal. ECCs are problematic. $200 might be worth it, if everything is working well. But be prepared to have problems with it.

Looks like either a 5591 or a 2145 to me but I couldn't be sure.

Where is AZVendor or Venddoctor when you need them..  ;D

she sold them already :(  

If I would have been able to react faster I may have been able to get these.  Still was a good exercise to think through what I need to do to move one.  I called major tool/equipment suppliers and rentals in town and could not find a good dolly.  I was thinking of a pallet jack, but never got to it (work keeps getting in the way of the fun stuff).  I called a major appliance store thinking they might have one I could borrow only to find out the store was at least temporarily closed.  Hmmm maybe I could get their dolly and delivery truck for cheap (drove by on way home and deliver truck has lift gate), left message.  My wife would kill me if I bought a delivery truck.  Going to work on dolly / pallet jack so I have one ready.  I am in middle of three "major" (like 50 to 100,000 population) cities all about two hours away.  I am now on the lookout for deals in each of these cities.  Would love to get a couple of higher capacity machines on hand to put in my best location, or better in new location that has best potential.  Thanks again all for advice.  

Archived