Fawn Service Inc. Model 20

MrByte

So I picked up another machine, this one is a Fawn Service Inc. Model 20 (2051R) that I got off Craigslist.  It worked fine, then developed a break in the harness that I chased down and corrected, so it vends nicely.  I am looking to install a bill acceptor on it, and it has a 24v coin mech in it.  I would also like to replace a few of the helixs so it could vend more bag snacks.  Right now it has 6 for chips, and 9 for candy.  The 9 are large helixs, but there's a metal divider that runs thru the center so you load it on either side with the items.

I'm not sure where to start as far as the acceptor goes, but I don't think my Mag50 that works on my soda machine (MDB) can be made to work on this machine. 

So I picked up another machine, this one is a Fawn Service Inc. Model 20 (2051R) that I got off Craigslist.  It worked fine, then developed a break in the harness that I chased down and corrected, so it vends nicely.  I am looking to install a bill acceptor on it, and it has a 24v coin mech in it.  I would also like to replace a few of the helixs so it could vend more bag snacks.  Right now it has 6 for chips, and 9 for candy.  The 9 are large helixs, but there's a metal divider that runs thru the center so you load it on either side with the items.

I'm not sure where to start as far as the acceptor goes, but I don't think my Mag50 that works on my soda machine (MDB) can be made to work on this machine. 

FSI is made by Wittern who also makes USI - there's usually a comparable USI model for all FSI machines with interchangable parts.  I'm not familiar with this model but it sounds relatively new since it's got MDB or maybe it was upgraded.  AZvendor has a whole shop full of parts - you might PM him about some higher pitch count coils.

FSI is made by Wittern who also makes USI - there's usually a comparable USI model for all FSI machines with interchangable parts.  I'm not familiar with this model but it sounds relatively new since it's got MDB or maybe it was upgraded.  AZvendor has a whole shop full of parts - you might PM him about some higher pitch count coils.

No, this is OLD.  It's pre-Wittern, I think.  It's not MDB, probably late 70's early 80's.

post-8534-0-48734300-1403564943_thumb.jpg

That machine is a Fawn 15H and has been out of production since the mid to late 80's. It has an old 4 price coin mech that may no longer be repairable. There are no parts for these other than probably the coin chute and only because they used it on later models. You can't add a validator to this machine. You would be better off putting it back on Craigslist and looking for something newer. Ask us before you buy anything so we can warn you.

The Wittern Company made it and sold it under the Fawn name. They used the Fawn, Federal, U Select It (USI) and other names back in those days to sell their machines, and still use all but the Fawn name today. Fawn was the direct-sales brand aimed strictly at Mom and Pop businesses and marketed by traveling salesmen who promised that you only had to sell x number of snacks per day to pay for the machine. This led to the massive part of Wittern's business of reposessing machines to sell as refurbished machines because the machines never paid for themselves - in case anyone has wondered where Wittern gets all the machines that they sell as refurbs.

This isn't the 4 price model.  I can price all 15 individually, as well as the 3 gum spots at the bottom.  The manual I downloaded does refer to the model you described, but this one is different.  The computer (well, computer of it's time, at least, lol) is called a Multi-Price II.  I would need to look, but I think the coin mech is a Mars.

I was hoping to add a validator to it, but I suppose I could sell it or get a stand alone changer.

Bolt a changer to that bad boy!

This isn't the 4 price model.  I can price all 15 individually, as well as the 3 gum spots at the bottom.  The manual I downloaded does refer to the model you described, but this one is different.  The computer (well, computer of it's time, at least, lol) is called a Multi-Price II.  I would need to look, but I think the coin mech is a Mars.

I was hoping to add a validator to it, but I suppose I could sell it or get a stand alone changer.

If it is anything like my AP 430, it has a GIGANTIC board that has a bunch of switches that can be priced individually.  If that's the case, the only way that I know of (with the AP) is to add a pulse validator I think.  I guess it's like this... that machine is actually more like a single-price can machine in that it can't store prices on a board.  Instead of storing the prices on the coin-mech though, it stores them in the switches (like the coin-mech but the switches are inside the machine).  If that's the case.. .again... I *think* something like a mars VN 2512 could be added but only with a certain kit.  HOWEVER.. I am 99.99% sure that you will NOT find a coin mech OR a harnessing kit to be able to mount a validator.  Even if you did, I can almost guarantee you that the equipment would cost way more than what it's worth.  My AP 435 has a lutech kit in it.  I doubt you can buy those kits anymore and that's for the AP!

I think you are MUCH better off mounting a changer to it or having a can machine nearby that can be used as a changer.

Bolt a changer to that bad boy!

If it is anything like my AP 430, it has a GIGANTIC board that has a bunch of switches that can be priced individually.  If that's the case, the only way that I know of (with the AP) is to add a pulse validator I think.  I guess it's like this... that machine is actually more like a single-price can machine in that it can't store prices on a board.  Instead of storing the prices on the coin-mech though, it stores them in the switches (like the coin-mech but the switches are inside the machine).  If that's the case.. .again... I *think* something like a mars VN 2512 could be added but only with a certain kit.  HOWEVER.. I am 99.99% sure that you will NOT find a coin mech OR a harnessing kit to be able to mount a validator.  Even if you did, I can almost guarantee you that the equipment would cost way more than what it's worth.  My AP 435 has a lutech kit in it.  I doubt you can buy those kits anymore and that's for the AP!

I think you are MUCH better off mounting a changer to it or having a can machine nearby that can be used as a changer.

All the pricing is done from the front panel, I flip the switch inside and the display shows "88" then I use the 4 and 5 buttons to select the price, then I wait until the "88" disappears, press the button(s) I want at that price, then the 88 will eventually reappear.  After I'm done. I hit the switch inside again to exit programming mode.

It is a mess of wires inside, but there does look to be some kind of logic chips on the board inside. 

I do have a soda machine next to it, so people can get a soda then a snack.

I do now see that you have a credit display and that means that a validator can be installed but you'll need a different coin mech with a validator harness on it, a mounting bracket for the validator, a 24v validator with an enable plug on it, a harness from the mech to the validator and then room inside your door to mount it. I don''t remember if there's any room as I believe your logic board its high in the cabinet behind the display but you would have to mount the validator upside down with the stacker hanging down.

That's a lot of money and work to put into this dinosaur, are you sure you want to?

Work doesn't scare me, having to change the coin mech might. I was hoping a validator off fleabay and a patch cord would do the trick.  Not sure where I'd mount the validator, I figured under the control/display, but I'd have to measure it out.

Half asleep, I guess I counted wrong, that's a 12 pin connector...

Work doesn't scare me, having to change the coin mech might. I was hoping a validator off fleabay and a patch cord would do the trick.  Not sure where I'd mount the validator, I figured under the control/display, but I'd have to measure it out.

Half asleep, I guess I counted wrong, that's a 12 pin connector...

Micro Mech connector.

That machine is way too old to bother upgrading with a BV. It barely holds enough to justify any cost you'll incur. If you really want to keep using the machine, place a changer next to it, or a soda machine set up to act as a changer. 

It's a Mars 5010.  15 pin connector.

attachicon.gifmars5010-1.jpgattachicon.gifmars5010-2.jpgattachicon.gifmars5010-3.jpgr

I would sell it and spend a little more. Bad motors bad switches product hangs up. Nothing but a headache for you and your customer. Even the coin mech is going to be a problem.... The 5000 series have seen their day...... You would be better off with an Antares. 

Antares...ick.  Had one in here, it left with my former partner.  That thing was a pile.  At least this one is behaving so far, and it's in my lounge, so if it does fsck up, it's not that big a deal to clear.  I may stuff it back on CL and try for a better one, I'd like to be able to price above $3.15 and vend some e-cig hardware/consumables.

Nothing anybody would want - you have to stick the hanger tags on everything you sell - PITA.  Where do you find these dinosaurs ?

Craigslist...that beauty is $75 ;-)  The Fawn was $100, but split with the wife, my cost was $50.  Aside from the lack of a changer, I like the Fawn, really.  But I want a changer, and aside from an Antares with a changer on the side for more than I paid for the Fawn, the stand alones are $250 and up...

If I could adapt some helixs to the lower racks of the fawn to vend bag snacks, I'd be happy.  Anyone got some helixs near Ocala, FL?

Even if you find some snack spirals for your candy shelves you will also need to replace the motors because the candy candy motors are only 1/2 cycle motors.

I hadn't thought of that...duh me.

I had to repair one the of the gearboxes because the follower that would activate the microswitch to stop/start the motor was broken.  It wouldn't take much to fill in one of the detents on the final gear to only have one stop/start point. Okie, yes.  Functional, probably.

Yes, I'm looking for another machine.

Archived