New Location, Home Depot

I got a new location this week, Home Depot. They contacted me after one of the guys on the vending committee had heard about my good service. It took about 2 weeks of meetings and giving them a 10 page vending proposal. They have Canteen now and are not happy with their service. They have 150 employees. Every time we met it was in the break room and the room was full of employees. I have to provide a frozen food machine for ice cream and frozen foods. They sell Ice Cream and burritos out of a freezer now. Somebody on the vending committee has to go and unlock the freezer for the sale. I have found a Fastcorp F631 frozen vending machine for $550.00. I did put in the proposal that it will take about 30 days for me to place the frozen food machine.

They approved me for their vending Friday. They are going to contact Canteen and tell them to remove their machines. I'm still not going to do anything until I see what happens with Canteen. They might have some kind of contract or who know what might happen. They told me they were only getting 1% commission.

If this work out I am going to see if they might be able to help me get into other Home Depot stores in the area. We have several of them in the Dallas Ft Worth area.

Yeah, I think you are doing the right thing by waiting. That's almost certainly under a big regional or national contract.

My friend works at home depot abd he said their vendor came every day. I don't believe it's every day.. or thay they need it, but I bet it can make real money.

Good luck.

If you could kick out Canteen that would be a big win for all of us.  I think I would not wait, take the chance and move in your machines - show Home Depot you're on the ball.  Since you've already bought the ice cream machine all you're risking is the moving expenses - just move the Canteen stuff out back where they can come and get them.

I haven't bought the Ice Cream Machine yet, I put it in the proposal that I would place it with in 30 days. I met with the vending committee Friday and someone suggested to move their machines to the back warehouse. The main guy didn't want to do that because he was afraid if something got damaged he didn't want to be responsible. He was supposed to contact Canteen Friday and tell them they were remodeling their break room and for them to come get their machines and that they were going with another company. I told him to keep me posted on whats going on. I have the drink and snack machine ready.

As far as they are conserned its a done deal. They all want me to take over and they hate canteen. They asked me what do they need to do nest call Canteen. I told them as soon as the machines are removed I would bring mine. 

Just to let you know, Canteen has a national contract with Home Depot through the vending management company Best Vendors, and both companies coincidentally are owned by Compass Group.  You may find your contract with Home Depot voided at the corporate level.  I'm all for you winning this contract but just be aware of the circumstances.

I thought the same thing about the national contract but I walked into a Home Depot out here in Mesa and the machine is service by Camel back vending. So I am not sure how strict that contract is. Also I just won another national contract from canteen they do all other locations except the Arizona branch I now service. Here is the machine at the home depot serviced by camelback vending

upu8edaq.jpg

Who is RJT?

Do a search on here and you will find him. He sells a good book on soda and snack vending.

Just to let you know, Canteen has a national contract with Home Depot through the vending management company Best Vendors, and both companies coincidentally are owned by Compass Group.  You may find your contract with Home Depot voided at the corporate level.  I'm all for you winning this contract but just be aware of the circumstances.

That is why I haven't spent any money on this location yet. I wanted to see how this plays out. 

On the other hand, a friend here that I hire to move my machines told me he was contacted by another Home Depot in the area wanting to talk to him about vending. He said he went by there several times and never could get with the manager. He said he quit trying.

I am about 99% sure that several (if not one) vending management services own the contract for all of the home depots.  That does NOT mean that you can't get in there... rather, it means that you would have to get a contract with the "broker" per say (the vending management service that owns the contract).  Normally, you would have to pay the broker a commission... the broker pays Home Depot a commission.

Again, I am not saying that yours won't be an exception... I have a weird situation where I have a contract with a broker at a company where Coca-Cola owns the contract.  The problem is that, since Coca-Cola pulled their machines... they sort of voided their contract (at least at those locations) and so I was able to get that location through my own broker.  It's weird, but it is what it is.

I would NOT move any other vendor's equipment.  Those scratches and dents could be your fault, whether they were there before the machines got moved or after.

A buddy of mine got a location at Santa Fe railroad that North County Vending (now Canteen) had. He said it took some doing because it was part of a national contract. The point is that he still busted in and took away the location. A big win for small guys everywhere.

Please be aware my opinion the F631 is a good ice cream machine, but it is not a good food machine.

You can do small food like burritos or 2 white Castle and do OK, but once you get into something heavier you need to turn up the vacuum then the lighter items will bounce and the cable will come off the pulleys.

I know the sales literature says it can vend food but it does not work in the field. Walta

A buddy of mine got a location at Santa Fe railroad that North County Vending (now Canteen) had. He said it took some doing because it was part of a national contract. The point is that he still busted in and took away the location. A big win for small guys everywhere.

Not necessarily a win. It depends on the terms of that national contract. Does the local manager have the authority to act? Is he now in violation of the contract? Does he even know what the terms of the contract are? I would be very careful here.

*sniff* I miss NCV.

A few things about national contracts: A persistent location can get out of them. Working for one of the "big guys" showed me that. Raise enough stink, over a long enough period of time, and *any* location, even a Home Depot can get out.

Also, just because Best Vendors and Canteen have the same corporate owner, doesn't mean they always get along 100%. When I was at Canteen, we lost a couple of locations that were Best Vendors accounts, because we sucked so much.

From what they tell me they have been having a problem with their route guy for over a year with lots of complaints. They told me the equipment is breaking down all the time. He told me he asked for more healthy items and the guy pointed to a 3 Musketeers and said there's your healthy item and walked off. They have a glass front machine that is always broke. They fixed it last week and it quit the next day.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Archived