something to watch for

i had dinner with a friend Friday night. He has the largest and oldest wholesale laundry supply companies in the Washington area. He was telling me that over the last couple of weeks he has been receiving calls from his long time government clients saying that they have been ordered to stop doing business with him. They have been instructed that they can now only do business with minority owned companies.

i was told the same thing by another client of mine with one of my other businesses several weeks ago. he was getting around it by being a disabled veteran.

Over the last couple of years many of my clients with one of my other businesses have required that I complete questionnaires asking if I was a minority owned business. Over the last year business from them has dropped to nothing.

That's, by all means of the definition, called discrimination.  It doesn't matter if someone is "the little guy" and someone else is the "big guy".  What does matter is that a group of people who is capable of providing a service is being DENIED based off of some criteria.  In the case you mention, being "not a minority" generally means that you are caucasian or white.  So... caucasian people are being denied the ability to provide a service because they are "not a minority."

Unfortunately, the government makes the rules and enforces the rules.. so they are allowed to get away with that stuff.  By some criteria, I am not a minority.  By other criteria, I am a minority.  For example, Moondog is definitely a minority and should probably be denied the right to talk but we let some things slide.  After all, Moondog is one of those people.. eh, mate?

i agree with you completely.

you forgot about including thoose with the extra cordage hanging.

unfortunatley this is the business enviorment we are facing. those who are getting the contracts do not want to fulfill them.

That's, by all means of the definition, called discrimination.  It doesn't matter if someone is "the little guy" and someone else is the "big guy".  What does matter is that a group of people who is capable of providing a service is being DENIED based off of some criteria.  In the case you mention, being "not a minority" generally means that you are caucasian or white.  So... caucasian people are being denied the ability to provide a service because they are "not a minority."

Unfortunately, the government makes the rules and enforces the rules.. so they are allowed to get away with that stuff.  By some criteria, I am not a minority.  By other criteria, I am a minority.  For example, Moondog is definitely a minority and should probably be denied the right to talk but we let some things slide.  After all, Moondog is one of those people.. eh, mate?

Around here, I am a minority - we've got millions of illegals stuffing the ballot boxes in East LA in support of the politicians who write these laws.  Discrimination ? you bet it is.

Around here, I am a minority - we've got millions of illegals stuffing the ballot boxes in East LA in support of the politicians who write these laws.  Discrimination ? you bet it is.

Could not agree more.  I am all in favor of immigration as my grandfather immigrated from Mexico, however he did it the right way and sure as hell paid all of his taxes.  The day we stop treating "races" differently is the day we can actually start moving past racism.

Archived