Two refrigeration questions

tedk

I have two of the dreaded Seaga 2500 series machines that are acting up.

The first one had a refrigeration unit that was dispensing hot pop. I swapped out the unit with one from a spare machine and when I plugged it in, the compressor was short cycling. (2 minutes on, 45 seconds off) I by-passed the thermostat and the compressor ran for ten minutes with no hicups leading me to the conclusion I had a bad thermostat. I tried the thermostat from the first unit and it was better ( 2minutes on, two minutes off) but still short cycling. I then went out and bought a thermosat for a beverage cooler from the Appliance Shack. The fellow wasn't sure if it was right (Seaga don't give you any details) but he said it was the one they sell the most. The make is a VaRifix VB7. Now the unit short cycles even worse. About 45 seconds on, 45 seconds off. So now I'm not sure if the new thermostat was the right one, of if it is a thermostat problem at all. Any suggestions would be appreciated. 

To recitify the problem quickly I thought I would exchange the entire machine with one I have in the garage. Being really clever, I thought I'd test it first. This one won't cycle off at all. I don't even know where to start. Again all ideas are welcome.

Thanks, Ted    

I do not know this machine but your symptoms sound like the probe from the thermostat is in contact with the evaporator coil.

Most machines have a way to locate the probe correctly.

Ords lets play nice.

Seaga’s are full of painful lessons, maybe others can learn from Ted’s mistakes.

Walta

The capillary tube must be coiled up under the evaporator without touching any metal parts.  This machine uses an air-flow cap tube.  If that's where you have it coiled up at and you have the thermostat set to 3 1/2 (turn CCW to off, notate the zero position and then turn CW to 3:30 as on a clock) then you probably have a bad compressor in each machine.  I don't think you could get a thermostat to cycle that quickly with only a knob setting or cap tube placement because 45 seconds, let alone 2 minutes, might not be enough time for the evaporator to get cold enough to trigger the thermostat, though anything's possible.

Seaga’s are full of painful lessons, maybe others can learn from Ted’s mistakes.

Amen

Thanks for the advice. !"ll take a look at the probe. Is anyone familiar with the VaRifix VB7 thermostat. Do you think it was the right one?

Thanks again for the information. 

There is no way for us to know what kind of thermostat that is. If it's a good replacement for a True or other brand of glass door cooler then it should work for your Seaga.

Make a jumper and bypass the cold control. Some people will place the probe where it will contact the evaporator to keep it from freezing up. Not good for compressor. I would also check your starting components on compressor. Use of cheap caps and start relays from overseas is a common issue with a lot of compressors. I don't care for 3 in ones but sometimes it is the best solution.   

The best thing since swiss cheese is the Electronic Temperature Control by Ranco. These are jewels and they can be retrofitted to work on anything.

http://www.supplyhouse.com/Ranco-ETC-111000-000-Single-Stage-ETC-Temperature-Control-w-Sensor-120-240V-Input-Includes-8-Cord?gclid=CPiWoNj5sr8CFQxp7AodfEUAYA

etc-111000-000-3.jpg

Archived