Salesperson Compensation

I was thinking in hiring someone to help me do some sales. Basically, I'm finding that I don't have much time in the day to approach new clients or to cold call. Does anyone have experience in hiring a sales guy and a proper compensation model for vending sales?

Any advice would be great!

Thanks in advance.

I would suggest a small base salary and some sort of commission structure.

A friend of mine does this. His commission pay is based on activity also. So if his sales person cold calls a new location with 50 or more employees and turns in the proper contact info. he gets a $10.00 perk. If he lands the location he gets $100 per machine. Once the $10 has been paid on a location it is never paid on again. So what has happens is new sales reps run around working their butts off for the $10 deal and pretty soon run out of locations and end up quitting. When he hires a replacement rep. they don't get the $10 bucks because it is already in the system. However, the new rep can take the contact info. and actually try to land the account.

Attracting and retaining a good salesman is difficult and or expensive.

Could you train a route man or office staff to free up the time to make sales calls.

Walta

I was thinking in hiring someone to help me do some sales. Basically, I'm finding that I don't have much time in the day to approach new clients or to cold call. Does anyone have experience in hiring a sales guy and a proper compensation model for vending sales?

Any advice would be great!

Thanks in advance.

From what I've seen, getting new accounts is mostly about nurturing your current accounts. If you are providing them great service, then you can generate referrals from this. The owner of the company I work for managed to triple his route in just 4.5 years after starting his business using just referrals. Check out the link if you are curious to learn more about that.

http://www.vendingmarketwatch.com/article/10256708/second-career-success-story

As Walta says, attracting and retaining a salesperson is difficult. Why not have your great service do the selling for you?

Thanks for everyone's input....I'll probably take some baby steps and try getting either a sales guy as a contractor or someone to help with office work.

In the meantime, I'll continue to do the majority of the sales for the time being. This probably makes the most sense!

Archived