How Full Should They Be?

rjpapageorgio

This has been debated here quite often. I would never keep my machines full unless the location, area, or product required otherwise.

This may change as I get more machines placed and more experiance. Northwestern is one company giving there idea of what is good. This forum gives many companies ideas of what is good. That is what I like about the forum. Look through this post and read it all before going with northwesterns suggestion.

What they suggest in one area may be best but another area may not require or need this. I would rather have less product in a machine if it is going to cause candy to go bad.

We track all quantities at arrival and departure on a handheld computer. This allows us to know consumption for all products at each location.

We then fill each head according to previous consumption plus approx 10% to prevent a machine from becoming completely empty before the next service.

Fred

candy going bad shouldn't be much of a problem, the stuff lasts for years, if you are storing candy why not store the candy in your machines, than at your office, i do agree filling a machine that gets 7 vends a week isn't a good idea

Some candy like M&M's have a shorter shelf life. Put 3 1/2 bags into that 60 and you may have a problem down the line. The candy you get may not alway be fresh either so I would watch the dates on what you put in.

candy going bad shouldn't be much of a problem, the stuff lasts for years, if you are storing candy why not store the candy in your machines

You are assuming that the machine is in ideal conditions AND the location cares about your machine -  that is usually NOT the case!  Machines can get moved into the sun, locations can turn off A/C each evening or weekend, machines can be placed temporarily in a closet during remodeling,  some locations even place machines outside to act as a doorstop, machines can get attacked by ants and other bugs, many industrial locations have no climate control, etc, etc.  Any of these can cause spoilage with product (and money) wasted.  I only fill food products to the necessary level based on that location's consumption.  Throw too many bags of MMP away and watch your profits plummet!

Jax

I've finally come to this conclusion. To end the debate of 1 head 2, or 3; filled all the way full, 3/4, 1/2, etc. Each and every location is different. You should have your machine match your location. You wouldn't put a rack in a location with only 5 employees. I feel the same way with candy levels in my machines. With my gas and time very valuable, I choose to have 2-4 months of candy in my machines. If I miss a location during a month it is no big problem, or if I don't want to drive 30 min to Sam's club I don't have to. I can go a couple of months without servicing my locations if I wanted to. I don't but the option is there.

it all depends on the climate i don't live in orlando florida,so the heat isn't a problem for me,

so what we should take away from this discussion is there is no magic number, it depends on many veryables, if you had machines in a mall you wouldn't want them half full, you would be running there every week, on the otherhand you don't want a full machine in a location that gets 5 vends a week. you are going to have to experiment with it.