One step forward, Two steps back

Well. after doing my entire rout last week, thirty machines in 4 days, I've decided to hold off on another van for now.  It's one more day on the road and about the same gas as the escape gets much better mileage.  The downside is that I can only do a max eight machines a day now.  I think I'll just save my money in case a great account becomes available.

Well. after doing my entire rout last week, thirty machines in 4 days, I've decided to hold off on another van for now.  It's one more day on the road and about the same gas as the escape gets much better mileage.  The downside is that I can only do a max eight machines a day now.  I think I'll just save my money in case a great account becomes available.

One more day on the road in California is a killer.  Wichita is about 300,000 and I can go anywhere in 30 minutes. For less than $200,000 you can buy a really nice home with green grass and trees. I have an acre with a detached garage used for shop and a attached  2 car garage. I am 2 to 2 1/2 hour drive to Kansas City, Tulsa Ok and Oklahoma City. No smog a great place to raise children.

If it were me I would keep my eye out for another Astro Van. There are tons of them out there, Find a nice clean one and have it checked out. Parts are cheap and they are not that hard to work on, I get 15 to 20 mpg on mine. 220,000 miles runs great. Plenty of room for all my tools and parts.

What do you do for parts in the Escape? If something breaks down do you have what you need in there?

IMO  

Moondog, keep your eyes out for a UHaul rental return van. In late 2008 I shopped for several months and ended up buying a 2007 3/4 ton Ford Econoline van for less than 12k, which was half of new price. If memory serves me correctly it had 10 thousand something miles. They already have a driver partition, running boards and side slats for tie down.

You can use SearchTempest to search all the Craigslists in the country to find the best deal. I live in the Dallas area and bought a $200 plane ticket to Phoenix to pick up the van and drove it back that night.

One more day on the road in California is a killer.  Wichita is about 300,000 and I can go anywhere in 30 minutes. For less than $200,000 you can buy a really nice home with green grass and trees. I have an acre with a detached garage used for shop and a attached  2 car garage. I am 2 to 2 1/2 hour drive to Kansas City, Tulsa Ok and Oklahoma City. No smog a great place to raise children.

If it were me I would keep my eye out for another Astro Van. There are tons of them out there, Find a nice clean one and have it checked out. Parts are cheap and they are not that hard to work on, I get 15 to 20 mpg on mine. 220,000 miles runs great. Plenty of room for all my tools and parts.

What do you do for parts in the Escape? If something breaks down do you have what you need in there?

IMO  

The spare parts are a little tight but all I really need are my tools and a couple of mechs and valis.  The biggest issue with the Escape is not much space for sodas but it's a much smoother ride than the van was.  I don't know that I could manuever a full size van around where I park - a box truck NO WAY.  The turn around is too tight.  That Transit would be perfect but I just don't want to drop that kind of money and the used ones all have over a 100k on them and they still want beaucoup bucks for them.

Archived