PENNIES! How do you guys deal with pennies getting stuck in the machines?

RHJR

I'm having a lot problems with kids putting pennies in the machine and losing money with the machine stuck with pennies.

How you guys deal with that problem? i was thinking in a label to put on the machine saying something like "Machine don't accept pennies" or something like that...

Thanks! 

A label is all you can try besides informing the location of what's happening.  The pennies should be rejected by the coin mech and be sent to the coin return cup on the door but they are light and will get jammed up as you have found if several are inserted quickly. 

I think a sign would just be a penny magnet. I have always thought that most pennies are the work of malcontents or a competitor. Once in awhile maybe a kid but mostly a trouble maker. Especially when I find a single penny in a bill acceptor shoved in just far enough to shut it down. Never a nickel dime or quarter that might be a really small kids mistake.

I do thinl that a lot of customers put them in there just to see what happens but I truly believe that it's rare for a competitor to do that. That would be borderline vandalism. Most operators respect vending machines and most drivers want nothing to do with vending machines other than what they already service. It's probably one or two customers that think it's funny/harmless to torment you.

A lot of us know that customers think we are simultaneously rich and "not serious" as vending machine owners.

I do thinl that a lot of customers put them in there just to see what happens but I truly believe that it's rare for a competitor to do that. That would be borderline vandalism. Most operators respect vending machines and most drivers want nothing to do with vending machines other than what they already service. It's probably one or two customers that think it's funny/harmless to torment you.

A lot of us know that customers think we are simultaneously rich and "not serious" as vending machine owners.

I am not to sure about it being rare that a competitor vandalizing machines, I have stories that I hear from a few of my vendor buddies out here in Arizona and they are definitely very cut throat out here, we even joke about starting a realty show called "VENDING WARS" (I said it first so if one of you guys start this show I expect a little kick back).  Its very sad to think of all the shady people in this industry.

Well when you count out 50 pennies I truly doubt it is an adult. I cleared out a jam at a YMCA in OK City a while back that had at least 15 different coins in it from around the world. That was pretty strange. 

Usually when I find pennies it isn't the first coin stuck. 

1/2 dollars should not fit in the slot. Also make sure the coin returns work smoothly. 

I am not to sure about it being rare that a competitor vandalizing machines, I have stories that I hear from a few of my vendor buddies out here in Arizona and they are definitely very cut throat out here, we even joke about starting a realty show called "VENDING WARS" (I said it first so if one of you guys start this show I expect a little kick back). Its very sad to think of all the shady people in this industry.

Hearing stories is different. People like to exaggerate and assume. If a competitor was vandalizing my machined, I would call the police or sue them. Who has time to run around, sneak into competitor locations, and put pennies in the machines?

I'm sure it happens but I still think It's rare. One story can stick around forever.

My golphers in trailer park throws pennies on concrete by machine, I gladly pick them all up.

Now as for as the little golphers, I try to make them understand sticking straws down coin chute will not get them anything!

Just me mad as ####. :angry:  :angry:  :angry: at them!

The person living closet to machine was talking about three months ago, he is retired and is home all day so I give him $20 a month  to month to watch machine, or keep the little golphers from messing with machine. I've had no trouble since with machine.

My golphers in trailer park throws pennies on concrete by machine, I gladly pick them all up.

Now as for as the little golphers, I try to make them understand sticking straws down coin chute will not get them anything!

Just me mad as ####. :angry::angry::angry: at them!

The person living closet to machine was talking about three months ago, he is retired and is home all day so I give him $20 a month to month to watch machine, or keep the little golphers from messing with machine. I've had no trouble since with machine.

Pretty good deal if it keeps trouble away.

As someone who knows vending machines, when I'm going to buy something out of a vending machine that I don't have the keys for, I often drop a penny in first. If there is a coin jam, I'm only out one cent. If it falls straight through to the coin return, I know I can safely purchase something. 

As someone who knows vending machines, when I'm going to buy something out of a vending machine that I don't have the keys for, I often drop a penny in first. If there is a coin jam, I'm only out one cent. If it falls straight through to the coin return, I know I can safely purchase something. 

LOL I am not that cheap but I do make sure the first one registers.

Archived