How does telemarketing affect my chances of walking in?

I have read tons of information on TVF and I am aware that self locating via walking in is the best and most effective way of locating. I was wondering if anyone thinks that it would be a bad idea to do some of both. Do you suppose I would "burn up" a potentially decent opportunity to walk in and pitch to a location if I decide to have the area called prior to walking in?

Knowing that it takes a lot more business' needing to be called compared to the amount of walk-ins it would take to get a "yes", I don't want to waste a large area and ruin the chance at a "walk in pitch" by paying someone else to call the business' in that area. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? 

I think that calling ahead is a bad idea unless it is done at least 2-3 months before you walk in and try. My thought is that some of the No's from telemarketing WOULD be Yes's IF you tried in person from the start. Once they say NO over the phone, I think that you would irritate them and further "turn them off" unless you give them ample time to forget.

I don't have any data to back up my hypothesis; I'm a sissy and don't want to risk it!

I guess also, it would depend on the amount of business' the locater would have to call in that specific area which I suppose is anyone's guess.  I will probably just need to make time and muster up the courage to locate the boxes myself. There's just that little devil on my shoulder trying to talk me out of it..

I would say if they said no on the phone, and you wanted to pursue it further, then I wouldn't tell them it was you on the phone.  Pretend to be another vendor and start with a new approach because obviously the old one didn't work.  Example:  if you offered charity terms over the phone and it failed, then in person try commission.

• 2 weeks later...

I would say if they said no on the phone, and you wanted to pursue it further, then I wouldn't tell them it was you on the phone.  Pretend to be another vendor and start with a new approach because obviously the old one didn't work.  Example:  if you offered charity terms over the phone and it failed, then in person try commission.

Sorry guys.. After re-reading my question I realize that it is coming off wrong because of the way I worded it. I don't mean to say that I would purposely walk into a business and talk to them after getting a no over the phone. I was wondering if having someone else call in a specific area to locate boxes would require them to call so many business' that I would have no chance bothering with walking in around that area because the locator would have already most likely called them. I live in the middle of several large cities but I don't want to "ruin" my walk in chances in an entire city by using a locator in that city. 

Archived