Dixie Narco 501 - cans are warm to hot? Please help

Hi Everyone,

I'm hoping that you can help.  I've only been in business for 2 years so it's still a learning process for me.  My customer just called and said the pop cans are coming out warm to hot and that the back of the machine is very hot.  They unplugged it for now to be on the safe side.  I'm heading over there soon to see if it's anything I can fix.  If you have any suggestions or input on what it could be please let me know.  

If the compressor has gone bad, where do I buy a new one, how difficult is it to put in myself and how much to they typically cost?

It's a Dixie Narco 501

Thank you very much for your input.

Hi Everyone,

I'm hoping that you can help.  I've only been in business for 2 years so it's still a learning process for me.  My customer just called and said the pop cans are coming out warm to hot and that the back of the machine is very hot.  They unplugged it for now to be on the safe side.  I'm heading over there soon to see if it's anything I can fix.  If you have any suggestions or input on what it could be please let me know.  

If the compressor has gone bad, where do I buy a new one, how difficult is it to put in myself and how much to they typically cost?

It's a Dixie Narco 501

Thank you very much for your input.

It only takes about 15 minutes to pull the entire compressor deck out of the machine, just bring a basic socket set with you and some screw drivers (and mark your harness connections)

As Moondog said, it's not that difficult to pull the entire deck out.  I STRONGLY advise that you do NOT hire someone to replace the compressor (ie. an HVAC tech who doesn't typically work on vending machines) because it may cost you a lot more than simply exchanging it.

I don't know where you can get one locally, but many companies offer exchanges.  I have a pretty good source where I get exchanges for less than $250 and I always feel confident that the deck should last me several years before needing to ever replace it again.  You should check locally for any vending distributors or vending repair services.  If you have no luck finding them, call a few local vendors and ask if they know someone or if they can help.

Expect anywhere from $100-$350 for most normal refrigeration deck REPAIRS, with the $250-$350 range being for an exchange.  It is important to tell a vending repair company what model machine you have or at LEAST how many cans deep.  A 501 is 3 cans deep so it uses a different style refrigeration deck than the 2 can deep models.  As long as you get a 6-month-warranty, you should be in good shape.

It sucks when you have to do that but it is what it is.  Also, your problem could be something else.  If your compressor runs for a few seconds than shuts off over and over again, it's probably bad.  If your compressor runs and runs and runs and runs, it probably has no refrigerant in the system as it has all leaked out.  If I were in your shoes, I would try to get an exchange, unless the customer is small, then I would try to see how much it would cost to get the deck fixed (as it may be a lot cheaper than an exchange).

Thanks for all of the information. I'm here now room temp air coming out of back of the machine. Small amt room temp aur coming out of compressor. and I hear a click run click run every 15 seconds. Bad compressor or bad someone else? Also what do you men by exchange?

Update. The black round/cylinder unit in the back clicks every 15 seconds and is hot to the touch. What is that unit called and is it easy to replace? Cost? Many many thanks for your help.

That black round thing is called the compressor, if it is clicking and is very hot it is time to replace the deck. As AngryChris says you can find 

somebody to exchange decks with you, or hire somebody local that works on vending refrigeration.

No car mechanic or house unit person!

Good Luck!

cajun

make sure the condensing fan motor is actually running in the back, I had that same problem before where everything in front was hot even the change in the change box. It ended up being the condensing motor was froze and wasnt blowing the heated air out the back of the machine. If its not running, I think it could also cause the compressor to cycle (could be wrong about that), when AZ logs on im sure he will know for certain

That is a bad compressor and you will need to replace it.  If you don't have a vending refrigeration tech local to you I can ship you a replacement.  You can PM me for information.  I will need to know the exact model number on the side of your door and the style of condenser you have, radiator looking or a "roll-up" style that resembles a cinnamon roll.

If the condenser ( the square black thingy in the bottom)  is hot you have a bad fan motor and this causes the compressor to get hot and kick on and off. If the condenser is cool to the touch then compressor is bad. Also if the pop is real hot not cool then most likely the compressor is bad

• 1 month later...

Archived