Dixie Narco 501T

The DN 501T I have been jamming column #3 lately and trying to figure out the problem.

The little red dot is flashing when I show up on display, press button for the column 3 and it will show sold out. Open machine, open inner door and press switch in column 3 turns and dispense product.

I changed out switch on motor, tested machine by adding money to it after two vends it jammed again.

I changed out motor and tested column again with door closed, after three vends column jammed again.

Took all cans out of slot and looked for twisted rotor and anything else that could be causing problem.

Any ideas what to look for?

This is set to vend 12oz cans three deep and this is a wide column.

There is two spacers on each side of column, black plastic.

post-4449-0-41996600-1405618176_thumb.jpg

post-4449-0-21483700-1405618295_thumb.jpg

cajun

How are the cans jamming?  Which specific position(s) is it?  This could be caused by the anti-theft triangles that hang from the oscillator bar.  If they are not square with the two ends perfectly pressed together then the triangle might not pivot smoothly and will jam a can.  If one is bent, even slightly, you can't fix it so you will need to pull it apart and remove it.

Looks like you've got the right spacers. I had a 501 doing that and ended up adding thin cardboard to the spacers until it stopped jamming. The jambs I was having were the next row trying to load before the first row was gone.

Thanks AZ

I will take a look in morning at anti thief triangles, I don't pull out no cans jammed.

That is the error message on display.

Like it just stops turning and no can will fall out, but once I open door and push in switch in inner door it restarts and drop can like it should.

i figured switch was bad so I changed it and then changed out motor, same thing.

This is the only column doing this.

Okay, then based on that description, you could have a bad motor switch (was it replaced with a new one?), a mis-adjusted depth that creates a false sold out (or a bad sold out switch), a damaged wire from the motor switch on the left end of the motor cover, or a loose/dirty connection in the door harness or at the logic board.

Thanks AZ

What I will do is change out switch with know working column and if the column I took switch from jams, then I know it is bad switch.

I do have some new switch's, they was at home.  ;D

Kiwi must be streaming into me.

Update on 501T

AZ the sold out switch turned out to be bad. Some thing simply.

Now I can load it up with Pepsi, two workers at location drink a lot of Pepsi. Between the two they empty a single column in five days.

Thanks AZ!

• 2 weeks later...

Got called out today on same column, red dot flashing, press button and column three shows sold out. I guess my next step is to start tracing wires from column going back to board.

Learning time!  ;D

cajun

This sounds like a bad motor switch if it's happening on only the one motor.  It could be a bare wire at the left end of the motor cover or a loose wire in the motor harness at the logic board, but usually this is a bad motor switch. 

Just for giggles is it Saying JC3 or SS3.... Select switch will also make the red dot flash. I had one one time that drove me nuts randomly moving from different columns.

After some time  :o I realized the spade connectors on number 7 and 8 were loose. Crimped them tight and my problem child was history... It wasn't giving errors. What it was doing was resetting the number of selections.  :o

This sounds like a bad motor switch if it's happening on only the one motor.  It could be a bare wire at the left end of the motor cover or a loose wire in the motor harness at the logic board, but usually this is a bad motor switch. 

AZ

I changed out motor, switch on motor twice, sold out switch.

I thought I had it after changing out sold out switch, because I was able to vend out twenty to twentyfive  cans back to back. 

Loaded up column and recheck one more time, worked.

Before I start tracing any wires I will pull plugs in harness at door and spray with a contact cleaner, than move up to board.

It don't have me frustrated yet!  ;D

I like a challenge!

I'm happy to have tech's like you and Roger helping out!

One of the reasons I send work your way and deal with you.

Now if I can only convince Roger to bring me a DN 501E. ;D 

cajun 

Just for giggles is it Saying JC3 or SS3.... Select switch will also make the red dot flash. I had one one time that drove me nuts randomly moving from different columns.

After some time  :o I realized the spade connectors on number 7 and 8 were loose. Crimped them tight and my problem child was history... It wasn't giving errors. What it was doing was resetting the number of selections.  :o

It is saying JC3.

No can is jammed, open door pull open inner door and press switch between doors, motor starts turning, can drops! 

I will spend a good part of a day there checking everything I guess.

Thanks Roger

What you are describing is a typical issue with a bad motor switch. If it doesn't report that the motor is at home, even though it is, then the board interprets that as a jammed column. That's why you get the JC3 error. When you open and close the door switch the machine will look at all motor switches and try to home any it doesn't see at home, like motor 3. It runs the motor until the switch reports a home position and then stops the motor. That's why you get the single vend of that column.

I don't think you'll find a wiring issue as these single switches fail more often than the double and triple switches. The reason for that is that the single switch is only switching a low voltage of maybe 5V DC in the logic circuit. This low voltage is more susceptible to corrosion in the switch contacts than the switches used in 110V circuits are, leading to more failures of the single switches.

Giving this a little more thought I have had problems like this in the past. AZ might be better at figuring this out. 

If you are standing at the vendor with the door open. Unplug the power to the board and wait a few seconds and plug it back in. When you plug it back in will that #3 motor make a chattering noise? I have seen this where when power is reapplied to control board it will cause the first motor to the left of the stack to jump maybe 1 turn. Just enough to release the brake and let it roll up on the switch. If memory serves me you have 3 double columns and 5 singles. On a 501T with #3 being the far left column.

If the switch is the problem then ignore what I have posted. But if it don't, try using a different control board. If your lights are bad either remove them or replace if the ends are blackened.  Is this a S11 or a S11D board. 

It is also very possible that this vendor is in a place power is dirty. Voltage spikes, lose of power etc. If that is the case that board could be spiking that motor and letting it jump. When you have this problem before doing anything take the motor cover of and see if that switch is in the notch or has rolled up a little. 

Mike this winter when it cold up here in Kansas I might just lay a 501-E down in the back of the pickup and hook on to the bass boat and come see you. LOL Couple days fishing or hunting gators eating Cajun food might be just what I need,  ;D  ;D  ;D

Giving this a little more thought I have had problems like this in the past. AZ might be better at figuring this out. 

If you are standing at the vendor with the door open. Unplug the power to the board and wait a few seconds and plug it back in. When you plug it back in will that #3 motor make a chattering noise? I have seen this where when power is reapplied to control board it will cause the first motor to the left of the stack to jump maybe 1 turn. Just enough to release the brake and let it roll up on the switch. If memory serves me you have 3 double columns and 5 singles. On a 501T with #3 being the far left column.

If the switch is the problem then ignore what I have posted. But if it don't, try using a different control board. If your lights are bad either remove them or replace if the ends are blackened.  Is this a S11 or a S11D board. 

It is also very possible that this vendor is in a place power is dirty. Voltage spikes, lose of power etc. If that is the case that board could be spiking that motor and letting it jump. When you have this problem before doing anything take the motor cover of and see if that switch is in the notch or has rolled up a little. 

Mike this winter when it cold up here in Kansas I might just lay a 501-E down in the back of the pickup and hook on to the bass boat and come see you. LOL Couple days fishing or hunting gators eating Cajun food might be just what I need,  ;D  ;D  ;D

Gators will be sleeping by that time!

Gumbo will be steaming on stove, ducks will be flying, squirrels will be ducking, nutria's is great eating! 

Sold the airboat, can't scare you with it!

Come on down Roger, no machine work, just lot of fun thing to do!

cajun

Archived