Royal Merlin 2000 validator replacement

Chard

I own a Royal Merlin 2000 with a Mars VFM3 bill validator that just failed. I want to replace the validator with a mars 2501. The problem I have run into is with the harnesses. The soda machine only has one 9 pin square plug for the validator input.

What harnesses do I need to install the 2501?

I have the smaller spade clip harnessalready plugged into the 2501 but I do not have the wider spade clip harness. Even if I did have this harness, where would I plug it into the board?

Also where might I find this harness inexpensively?

A 2501 with its standard harness should fit have the same plugs as a VFM3 and should function just as the VFM3 did.

If you want to take 5$ bills you will need a different harness that may be no longer available.

Walta

NOTE" Royal does not make a 2000 model - that's a decorative overlay used by Coke.  You may have a G111 (660 or 804) or you could have a Merlin (650 or 768), I'm using the VN2511 validators in both models.

When you say a standard harness are you referring to the power harness?  

I ask this because there is also an input on the bill validator that takes an 18 pin plug right beside where the power harness plugs into the 2501.

The first generation of Royal multiprice machines were called the Merlin and later, the Merlin 2000 series. These covered version 1.x to 5.11 logic boards with possibly the 11.x version included. The Royal 2000 that Moondog was thinking of was only the branding that Coke put on their landscape doors of multiprice machines, regardless of the manufacturer. Those machines had the name "Intellivend 2000" on the coin insert labels.

If moving from a 110v VFM to a VN25x1 validator you will use the same harness connection as the VFM was using. If the VFM only used the 9 pin plug, then the VN25x1 needs only the 110v 9 pin pigtail and the validator switches should be set for short or long pulse, depending on which setting works more reliably. If your VFM used both the 9 pin and 18 pin connectors then you will use the 9 pin power pigtail on the VN as well as plug the 18 pin connector into the side of the VN and then set your switches for the serial interface. The only way to accept 5's is by using the 9 pin/18pin connectors in the serial configuration. The 9 pin harness alone will only give you $1 acceptance.

Excellent.  That helps. 
Out of all my machines I only had 3 VFM's that have worked reliably for years.  Now within one month's time all three have failed, one after another.  I've already installed my entire stock of rebuilt validators and was only left with one that worked sporadically.  Well that unit is the one that I took to troubleshoot and hopefully operate until I get at least one unit back from repair.  Needless to say, I couldn't get the temporary unit to power up.  

I was concerned that when the rebuilt units arrive I wouldn't have the proper cabling to install it!

Archived