First Soda Location...what to use?

I serviced my candy/amusement route today and while on one of the stops, an employee came up to me and asked if I had any soda machines I could place at the location.

It's a rental business where people can rent all sorts of things, from trucks to augers to chainsaws to just about anything you can think of that relates to tools.

My problem, I've never done soda before...know next to nothing about it...but I have serviced a full line route before (only 1 day of it, lol) but I really enjoyed it and would love to do full line.

What machine would be a good brand/machine to use for my first?  And I'm guessing buying used is better then new (learned that from candy) is that true in full line?

Get yourself a used Dixie Narco 501 T or E model which will give you 3 can deep capacity. It doesn't have to be multiprice as all you should worry about is selling cans only so as to eliminate product jams and short shelf life product. Used soda machines should be easy to find.

I serviced my candy/amusement route today and while on one of the stops, an employee came up to me and asked if I had any soda machines I could place at the location.

It's a rental business where people can rent all sorts of things, from trucks to augers to chainsaws to just about anything you can think of that relates to tools.

My problem, I've never done soda before...know next to nothing about it...but I have serviced a full line route before (only 1 day of it, lol) but I really enjoyed it and would love to do full line.

What machine would be a good brand/machine to use for my first?  And I'm guessing buying used is better then new (learned that from candy) is that true in full line?

See what's available in your area and list them for us - I hate to recommend something you can't get,  Soda machines are a no brainer and this might be a nice location if they'll give a space where the customers can get to it.  I prefer the shimless Royal machines myself but it's unlikely you'll find one.  Get the largest one that will fit so you won't need to fill it so often

even more true

just get a used single price dixie narco 440 or 368 or a vendo 407 or similar from crailgslist (about 400$)

A good mover can get a tall machine in any door - Mike just has to move his own machines cause he's the only Cajun left who doesn't have his own TV show yet ;D  ;D  ;D

I agree with the Dixie Narco. I had one of these bad boys at a diesel repair shop and even at .60 cans it produced more each week than half of my bulk route granted this was 5 years ago so ymmv. The one thing I will say about a DN especially if it's older is be wary of the cooling deck frosting over...such a pain. Try to leave some air space behind the machine and don't but it right up against a wall. Good luck to you, its addictive seeing coins AND bills haha. 

A good mover can get a tall machine in any door - Mike just has to move his own machines cause he's the only Cajun left who doesn't have his own TV show yet ;D  ;D  ;D

I am a good mover and I won't move them inside unless I have to. Doors are never 80 inches and if you can't lay it back in a hallway it isn't going in. It never fails with the trim and the lip at the bottom that 79" machine has to be laid back. Don't like them don't want to be around them. Vendors always want to leave pop in them and that makes it even harder. But for the right money I'll do it! I have a D/N 600 S11 just waiting for an outside location to be ready..

Will be in LA shooting my series (moonbean)

Vending on the Bayou!

Just call me Cajun Super Star!

I need the name of your vending business, so I can throw some promotions your way!

;D  ;D  ;D  

Will be in LA shooting my series (moonbean)

Vending on the Bayou!

Just call me Cajun Super Star!

I need the name of your vending business, so I can throw some promotions your way!

;D  ;D  ;D  

Is that the one where in episode 1, "Foggy Butt" Dupuy spends half the show trying to coax "moonpie" the possum out of a Vendo chiller cause it's the only cool place in the whole parish?

Is that the one where in episode 1, "Foggy Butt" Dupuy spends half the show trying to coax "moonpie" the possum out of a Vendo chiller cause it's the only cool place in the whole parish?

Now you got the woman upset talking about her "moonpie"!

She will be there between August 23 and 28, so I would find a hole to hide in!

She is a tough cookie!  ;D

I only hope she don't find you!  ;D

No, I'm staying here in LA.

Somebody gotta feed the wildlife.

That's a 5 selection machine and is pretty small.  If you place it and the location does much business you may have to over service it to make much money.  Keep an eye out for at lease a DN368 or at least a DN276.  You'll have more selections and more capacity if you need it.

Now you got the woman upset talking about her "moonpie"!

She will be there between August 23 and 28, so I would find a hole to hide in!

She is a tough cookie!  ;D

I only hope she don't find you!  ;D

No, I'm staying here in LA.

Somebody gotta feed the wildlife.

I thought you were the wild life  ;D  ;D  ;D

Found a Dixie-Narco Model DNCB 168M/99-6 PE2370 for sale.  

Is that a good starting out machine?

Get a bigger one if possible, that one only holds 168 cans which won't make it in a decent location.

The location is about 6 min drive from my house...so I guess I could service it more often if I had to?  I have to do weekly services for cotton candy machines, so throwing in a quick stop isn't hard at all.  (have to clean the cotton candy machines weekly...they get MESSY! lol)

I REALLY appreciate all the input guys.  The person is asking for $250 and is firm on that price (the guy that he got the machine from owed him $250 but couldn't pay so he got this machine instead...the guy worked for pepsi for 20 years according to the person I'm talking to).  Does that sound reasonable?  And I'm assuming it does cans because that's what I've been told is best to start with.

$250 is too much unless it has a bill accceptor already installed. If it doesn't have a validator then there may not be any room on the door for one and you don't want a coins-only machine.

Hey moonbeam

clear your PM inbox, it is full and over flowing!

082.gif 082.gif 082.gif 082.gif

Can't pm you if it is full!

Found a Dixie-Narco Model DNCB 168M/99-6 PE2370 for sale.  

Is that a good starting out machine?

Don't use this machine as your first machine.

I have one sitting in my Man Cave on free vend filled with beer its perfect for that!!

Found another used machine.  Dixie narco.  Guy doesn't know the model number but it's an 8 selection machine.  Has a dollar bill acceptor (mars).  Everything works great and a newish compressor.  He's asking for $350...sound good?  (all electronics on it work, he said everything works great)

If I go see it in person, what should I look for to make sure it's a decent deal/worth getting?

Bring some $ bill with you, change for coin mech, quarters,nickles,dimes, have him plug machine before you show up just make sure it is cooling down, thermometer to check how cool it gets inside.

Also check lights, make sure there is a tag on left side of door stating size of machine.

Overall condition of machine, does it shine or is it dull from being outside in broad daylight.

Look inside machine behind chute, make sure it is not all rusty, causing problems later, also check gaskets around inner door for tears, or possible leaks.

A DN 368 is 72" tall, while a 440 is 79" tall.

cajun

You need to post photos of the machine for us to really know if it's a good one.  For example, a Mars validator can be an obsolete VFM validator that will need to be updated.  So post some photos and we'll know how good it is.

Archived