can't get through the door

While I've never personally used one of those Westco Appliance dollies I have done quite a bit of research on them.  In fact I almost purchased one before going with a customized Dutro1888-78

That being said  . . .  Here is what I would recommend:

1.  If you have a shorter machine such as a Dixie Narco 276 or 501E use it at this location (swap it) & put the taller one outside or at location that has a taller entryway.

2. Hire someone with experience to move the 601E machine for you or at a minimum to help you get this one through the doorway

3. If you plan on moving the 601E (Possible but dangerous)

• The problem you are facing is that the machine (even when leaned back) is too tall (even taller than the picture below) to get under the doorway

gallery_6992_158_583193.jpg

That being said here is how I suspect you could overcome it.

Prerequisite: You are going to need a minimum of 1 helper (ideally 2-3) unless you have the girl in the pink I mentioned earlier available in your area (she could do it by herself)

1. Pull the machine backwards up to the door
  2. Kick the extra set of fold out wheels back into the dolly & lean the machine back at about a 30 degree angle (this is where your 2nd helper will be needed).  You will need to hold the handle on the right of the dolly & have them hold the handle on the left. This will allow you to get the machine under the door & the 2nd person will be able to help bear the weight of the machine.
  3. Try & pull the machine over the the 3 inch raised step.  If you are unable to get the machine over the raised step then I would suggest using your 3rd helper to help push the machine over the raised step.
  4. If you are still unable to get over the raised step then I would suggest doing what Allen mentioned & making some type of ramp.
  5. Once you get the machine over the raised step use your helpers to lift the machine back up & kick the wheels back out on the machine
  6. Move it to where you want to place the it (if you have any other doorways to go through then repeat stpes 1 through 5)

I need to reiterate that this is possible to do but very dangerous so if you're gonna do it be careful.  When I first started vending I moved a Dixie Narco 440 through a standard doorway with an appliance dolly from Lowes using the method above.  The two main differences are that I only had a 1 inch threshold to go over & I had 3 friends help me.

Will I need a rubber lizard to do this?  ;D  ;D  ;D

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

rmorris, I have seen you post about that dolly on other threads. Where do you buy these? I never see a reference to them online except for your posts. I have no problem moving machines with what I use, however I see major advantages to the one you have.

This is the web page that is on line. They had a disgruntled employee when I was working with them who hacked their web site and I am not sure if they ever got it fixed.

I bought both the Big Boy and the lift and rolls from me. If the 800 number don't work PM me and I will give you the guys Cell Number. After you use one of these you won't go back to anything else. 

http://web.iwebcenters.com/steprider/LiftNRoll.ivnu

Is that a 3" landing ot a 3" lip going into the door?

Combined2.gif

This is what I use. For a 3" landing I have 2- 4" inch aluminum C channel ramps about 20"s long. Push it up the landing and the through the door. Being hydraulic jacks you only have to pick it up 1/8". A D/N 600 MC most likely will have to be twisted. For a 3" lip same procedure.

This is a two man operation in my opinion. Make sure you have a tape measure to get good measurements. Most openings are 80" before the moldings and thresholds. The bolts on the hinge always seem to get in the way.

Second option is take door off the 600. It will lightened it up and also allow you to lay back on good dolly and go straight through.

This lift and roll looks eerily similar to the safe dolly I once rented. I found it heavy and cumbersome (about 90lbs each side). I couldn't handle it by myself. Had a friend help me. Almost lost a friend that day lol.

I'm liking the option of taking the door off the machine. Is that a big project? More importantly, could I reattach door in the field on location fairly easy?

Take your time and build a nice little ramp with some 2x4's and thin plywood. Then with a narrow/short dolly get a run at it and let it fly. A 3" step isn't anything more than an annoyance. I have a piece of aluminum I carry in place of the plywood. Also just to let you know, I have had several machines stuck in doorways with no hope of ever getting them thru but somehow they get to their spot sooner or later. If it is an office with guys around, they usually see me in despair and offer a hand. The "Z" type corners are far worse than the little step into a narrow/short doorway.

The one I use is a little different. The little wheels are stationary down low and the large wheels kick-out or stay down, depending on whether or not you want to tilt it way over. With the large wheels kicked-out they are able to support a machine completely horizontal.

I smiled when you said get a run at it(ramp) and let it fly.

My problem is not only the 3"lip, it's also a standard door clearance and an oversized machine.

Who makes the dolly you use? Could you post a picture? Trying to find the right tool for the job.

My problem is not only the 3"lip, it's also a standard door clearance and an oversized machine.

Who makes the dolly you use? Could you post a picture? Trying to find the right tool for the job.

also contact some vending supply dealers too. they have them

You didn't mention this earlier so I've got to ask. Is the machine also too wide to fit through the doorway?

Will I need a rubber lizard to do this?  ;D  ;D  ;D

For some reason lately whenever I take pictures my 8 year old always wants to put something in them to let you know she was there. 

I showed her this post & she said "Tell Moonbeam it was an alligator not a lizard" I actually looked it up she appears to be correct that an Alligator is in fact not classified as a lizard :P

This lift and roll looks eerily similar to the safe dolly I once rented. I found it heavy and cumbersome (about 90lbs each side). I couldn't handle it by myself. Had a friend help me. Almost lost a friend that day lol.

I'm liking the option of taking the door off the machine. Is that a big project? More importantly, could I reattach door in the field on location fairly easy?

The one I posted on the first page works pretty much the same as this one, but weighs 40 pounds total. It's rated for enough weight to move a machine empty. ( And you should be moving soda machines empty. )

It's ok width wise, barely. Although taking the door off would help tremendously with that and overall weight as well.

You may find that it's much easier to take the building door off rather than trying to remove the machine door - a close measurement would be advisable prior to attempting this and get some help.  Removing and remounting doors is a two man job.

For some reason lately whenever I take pictures my 8 year old always wants to put something in them to let you know she was there. 

I showed her this post & she said "Tell Moonbeam it was an alligator not a lizard" I actually looked it up she appears to be correct that an Alligator is in fact not classified as a lizard :P

So apparently I'll need a rubber alligator to perform this maneuver correctly - glad we got that cleared up, hate to get out there with the wrong equipment  ;D

A

So apparently I'll need a rubber alligator to perform this maneuver correctly - glad we got that cleared up, hate to get out there with the wrong equipment  ;D

Also (in case you didn't know already) if you ever need to clean the condenser on a USI 3038 you will need one of these plush pink piggies to get the job done right.

gallery_6992_246_278527.jpg

My lift and rolls are the tall ones. You don't have to bend over when trying to roll them with a machine. Also when removing a door on a vendor they are tall enough to cradle the door by strapping one on each side of the door. Then you can remove the top hinge bolts and just jack it up to lift it up from the bottom one. Take the cabinet in and roll the door in. Then you put the door back on by rolling it over the lower hinge and put the top hinge back together. Had to do this once to go down a hallway with a D/N 501-E because of thing hanging on the wall. 

Mini-Pallet-Jack.jpg

This is a 1,100 lb mini pallet truck and it is perfect for moving when openings are large enough to go straight in. I have moved full BevMax's with it. It is very light I think 80 lbs. Will fit in the trunk of your car.

416vcgpD%2BFL.jpg

I bought it to move snack vendors in the shop but have found it works great for tight spots. You will have to have 2X4's longer than the length of the forks to pick up a snack machine. Perfect for USI CB500's. Gave $200... 

Great for that late Friday call from customer who wants machines moved away from wall so they can retile the break room.

Throw it in the trunk and go.

kiwi, those ultralifts and lectrotrucks look awesome. They are so expensive (over $3000), and I have a problem risking that sort of money without actually being able to try one and test one first. I just wonder how great they are in the real world vs those videos?

Thanks to everyone for the responses. I appreciate all the information and advice. After considering all the input I received, I'm going to place a different machine at this spot. I located a DN368 that will fit this location better. I'll find another place(with an oversized door hopefully) for the DN600. I'm delivering the 368 tomorrow. Hope it goes well!

Late to this discussion but thought I'd jump in anyway. I have had great luck moving machines with my recently purchased Anderson dolly, though I have replaced the ratcheting straps with a heavier set from etrailer.com. I load them on my trailer with no problems. 

trailer pic 2

When I have to go up a step I use one similar to this to get it up the step, then fold the back wheels in when I am at the doorway, allowing me to drop the machine lower supporting it with our shoulders (I recommend two people, but I have done it by myself) long enough to get it through the door and then lift it back up and pull the rear wheels back out to a locked position. (hope thats clear) With a step or lip close to the doorway, I would go in backward, lower the machine to get through and raise it when top of machine clears the door facing. 

Late to this discussion but thought I'd jump in anyway. I have had great luck moving machines with my recently purchased Anderson dolly, though I have replaced the ratcheting straps with a heavier set from etrailer.com. I load them on my trailer with no problems. 

When I have to go up a step I use one similar to this to get it up the step, then fold the back wheels in when I am at the doorway, allowing me to drop the machine lower supporting it with our shoulders (I recommend two people, but I have done it by myself) long enough to get it through the door and then lift it back up and pull the rear wheels back out to a locked position. (hope thats clear) With a step or lip close to the doorway, I would go in backward, lower the machine to get through and raise it when top of machine clears the door facing. 

I noticed that you have what appears to be a rubber mat of some type to help get the machines up the gate.  Where did you get it?

Also regarding your Anderson Dolly can you post some detailed pictures of what it looks like?

That isn't a rubber mat. It is a steel plate. Had this put on specifically to run a pallet jack and machine dolly up & down it. This trailer was built to my specs. 4" drop axles with a 4 ft. gate to reduce the incline. Cost me $1800 for the trailer, ended up putting 10 ply tires on it at about $85 ea. and I am getting ready to change axles to 6000 lb ea. This trailer has more than paid for what I have put in it.  

On level ground two people can easily get a drink machine on it. If I have a slope or curb to back up to, I can load one by myself. Also thinking about putting a small winch on it to hook and pull machines up with less effort. 

Here is the Anderson Dolly

That isn't a rubber mat. It is a steel plate. Had this put on specifically to run a pallet jack and machine dolly up & down it. This trailer was built to my specs. 4" drop axles with a 4 ft. gate to reduce the incline. Cost me $1800 for the trailer, ended up putting 10 ply tires on it at about $85 ea. and I am getting ready to change axles to 6000 lb ea. This trailer has more than paid for what I have put in it.  

On level ground two people can easily get a drink machine on it. If I have a slope or curb to back up to, I can load one by myself. Also thinking about putting a small winch on it to hook and pull machines up with less effort. 

Here is the Anderson Dolly

So you have the metal version not the wooden version?

Archived