DN720p issue

I have a DN720p that has worked great since I got it new about 3 years ago (bought second hand, but never plugged in). I moved it to a new location, loaded it up and primed all my columns. Column 2 rotor jammed as soon as the load bar tripped and dropped the next row of cans. The rotor is in the full vend position (facing downward). I pulled all of the cans, and removed the rotor, played with the load bar inspected the ends of the rotor, everything seems to work as it should. When I load the column, it jams again. The floor is level as far as I can tell (flat anyway), brand new building, and nothing has been changed since the last time I used the thing 2 weeks ago.

Any ideas why this would be happening?

Thanks

I will also add that a few other columns are sounding like they are having the same issue, but don't jam. The motor just winds down as the load bar begins moving and then picks up speed again after the drop (Somewhat normal, but the motor works harder than usual in this case). Column 2 motor winds way down, trips the load bar, and stops suddenly. I suspect the unit might be a bit twisted as thought the floor is not level, but I dread the thought of pulling out 700 cans to double check. I am hoping there is another (easy to fix) solution to the issue.

S

Just to confirm, are you sure this is a DN720P or is it a Vendo 720? The P series manual doesn't list a 720P as an optional model but then it doesn't list the 504P either, which I know does exist.

I doubt the problem is an out-of-level case. You might have a bad or incorrectly installed "Push Arm". It's the black plastic part that lifts the Load Bar up.

You might also empty the column and force a prime of just that column. If it works then reload and prime again. If it's the weight of the cans causing the problem then it may be a bad motor due to a gummed up gear case. Also check your depth so the cans aren't too tight. Is this on a narrow or wide column?

PS: It's normal for the motor to bog down as it reloads the rotor. Remember that the rotor doesn't go 360 degrees; it reaches the last vend and then turns backwards to reload.

Yes, its a DN720P. Its been flawless until this last move. There are a few that are sounding sluggish compared to how they normally sound, particularly when the load arm is being pushed. In the case of column 2, the motor almost stops before the load arm trips, the cans drop down and the rotor & motor stop completely. It seems like the load arm is not moving properly based on a few empty test vends. The load arm had pressure applied but it wont push to the side. Then with a bit of a bang, the load arm moves and the motor completes the cycle. When the cans are loaded the same thing happens until the cans drop, then it all stops.

>Generic 720 & 504 P Series Manual

I will go back tomorrow and swap around a few motors and see if that fixes the problem. Then I will know if its a gummy motor (I think not as it is very clean on the cold side of the system) or something else.

I went back to the location today, pulled all the cans out of the #2 column and test vended empty. No problems. I then test vended all of the other selections (loaded) as I could not specifically remember which ones sounded like they were also having issues. No problems. I loaded a few rows into column 2 and test vended. No problems. Half loaded and tested - no problems. Fully loaded, also no problems.

I think its great that I don't have problems, but WTF? Is it because it was almost 90' in the room it was placed in, now the machine has run all night and properly cooled the interior, the metal has shrunk increasing tolerances?

I also noticed that the metal surfaces inside the unit are not as smooth as they used to be. Almost like a very fine corrosion has formed (the white powdery kind) on the metal. For example, I used to be able to put the first can on the load bar and flick it to the back as it would slide easily. Now it wants to stick. Is this normal? It has not been outside and was operated in a climate controlled environment. Although due to where I live, humidity is generally higher all the time (50%) indoors.

It's hard to say why it's now working better but since you said it had sat for a couple of years with no use I would suspect that the grease in the motors was a little stiff and not allowing proper movement of the gears.  The corrosion you see on the metal is perfectly normal and won't impede vending at all.  It may be that there was some corrosion in the pivot points of your loading bar and the testing you did when empty and while gradually filling it loosened everything up.  You should be okay now as normal use of the machine will ensure everything is moving enough.

I see in my first post I was not clear. The unit has not sat idle. It has been running for 3 years, I just moved it to a new location and these problems began. Oh well, it's working now, thanks for your help.

Archived