racks in the mall

hulksmashu00

Ok so i have a idea for a rack setup at my local mall. It is a little bit of a risk financially so i wanted to see what you guys think. So ive never seen bulk machines at our mall (i need to go there in the next day or two and really make sure there are none). My idea is to rent one of the spot in the middle of the walkway at the mall where the little kiosk stands go and set up two large racks going length wise and candy and gumballs on the ends. It would be about 30 maybee more machines. Has anybody done this? Do you guys think the cost to rent the spot would be to high? I haven't contacted the mall to find out price monthly to rent yet because im still thinking it over. Any opinions are welcome. Thanks guys.

its been years but ive checked into that mall

They require a million dollar insur policy, thats fine but the cost of a kiosk was, at the time outrageous, probably worse now

it was like 1500 month but was almost double that for November and December and it was also NNN so that was added to the rent also every month.

they also want long lease contracts and require drawings and preapproval ahead of time of what it was built like, material, color etc.and at the time there was a kiosk there.

they still have them there but they are smaller and pushed in the end or the hallways by the restrooms and phones etc.

we can talk further hulk when we get together, sorry about the other day

They require a million dollar insur policy, thats fine but the cost of a kiosk was, at the time outrageous, probably worse now

it was like 1500 month but was almost double that for November and December and it was also NNN so that was added to the rent also every month.

they also want long lease contracts and require drawings and preapproval ahead of time of what it was built like, material, color etc.and at the time there was a kiosk there.

they still have them there but they are smaller and pushed in the end or the hallways by the restrooms and phones etc.

yeah i was kinda figuring that it was gonna be a lot of bs trying to get in there and maybe not worth it but it was worth asking you guys. 

sweetstop we have to try and get together soon and i hope all is well with your back. no worries about the other day just hope you are feeling better.

Thats the problem with being in the mall.  They want to put you in the worse hall in the mall.  Mall sales are just not what they used to be over all.

I have done the mall thing and the only one who win's is the mall. The rent will kill your profits and if it makes more than the contracted amount they will want a percentage of the overage. When you have to pay somebody for a spot for your equipment it's not worth it.

I have one mall location that does well. The key is to find a mall with with management who don't give a crap and never walk through the mall to monitor stuff. Then instead of pitching the mall itself, just pitch a location in the mall and use their storefront. Way less commission costs, no insurance requirements, and the same amount of traffic for your machines. I have a double at a Mexican restaurant with a storefron that opens into the main ped area right across from an indoor play area and it does about $60/month. Pretty good for a double. I'd put something bigger in, but for some reason they move my machine and their spiral gumball inside the restaurant every evening when they close; so they don't want anything big like a rack.

I have one mall location that does well. The key is to find a mall with with management who don't give a crap and never walk through the mall to monitor stuff. Then instead of pitching the mall itself, just pitch a location in the mall and use their storefront. Way less commission costs, no insurance requirements, and the same amount of traffic for your machines. I have a double at a Mexican restaurant with a storefron that opens into the main ped area right across from an indoor play area and it does about $60/month. Pretty good for a double. I'd put something bigger in, but for some reason they move my machine and their spiral gumball inside the restaurant every evening when they close; so they don't want anything big like a rack.

I'd give them a four way rack on wheels.  That way they could roll it in and out each day.  B)

Why not a 7 way on casters?

I've thought about this, and I even have a nice rack all set up and ready to go that would only need the caster wheels. However, I don't think they have room in their restaurant to put the thing every night. I'm sure they would object to such a large piece of equipment. Plus I'm not sure if the part of the storefront that I occupy could contain something like that. A four way might work, but anything bigger than that would be pushing it.

I've seen the kiosks in malls before, with a money changer and around 30 machines all the same and uniform looking.  If I was going to try that I would try to build something that had a variety of novelty machines, gum ball pinball, baseball, that kind of thing, maybe even an old school arcade machine. I think the novelty angle would get more random passerby's than straight candy just my humble and (completely unexperienced in malls) opinion!

Archived